Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo Forums Archive (THE ENTIRE FORUMS!)

justheaven

Duolingo Forums Archive (THE ENTIRE FORUMS!)

Post by justheaven »

I was on r/duolingo and I saw a post from u/rebane2001 who made a back up of the entire forum. Yes, the whole thing... every discussion, every subforum. Here's the link: https://duolingo.hobune.stream/

Here's the post on reddit:

The archive contains nearly every forum thread where the ID ranges from 0 to 1400000, or from 46800000 to 57005930. In addition to that, nearly every post showing up in the "top posts of all time" section is also available in this archive, filling most of the missing threads in the 1400000 to 46800000 ID gap. Note that the IDs don't represent the amount of forum threads, as every reply to a thread also incremented the ID.

There are a total of 2098402 forum threads in this archive.

This is incredible! A million thanks to rebane2001, whoever you are, and wherever you are, bless your soul.

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: Duolingo Forums Archive (THE ENTIRE FORUMS!)

Post by Basler Biker »

Indeed quite amazing !!

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

This is incredible! Like a heavenly gift! What an amazing gift and service this individual has provided!!
I hope s/he sees fit to keep it online well into the future.

I was interested to see that, in at least one post, I saw a couple of comments I had deleted.
Not a biggie, and it doesn't detract at all from the gift this individual has bestowed upon us, but I thought it was interesting.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

justheaven wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:18 pm

I was on r/duolingo and I saw a post from u/rebane2001 who made a back up of the entire forum. Yes, the whole thing... every discussion, every subforum. Here's the link: https://duolingo.hobune.stream/

The archive contains nearly every forum thread where the ID ranges from 0 to 1400000, or from 46800000 to 57005930. In addition to that, nearly every post showing up in the "top posts of all time" section is also available in this archive, filling most of the missing threads in the 1400000 to 46800000 ID gap. Note that the IDs don't represent the amount of forum threads, as every reply to a thread also incremented the ID.

This is incredible! A million thanks to rebane2001, whoever you are, and wherever you are, bless your soul.

Still now it has only 12 upvotes. Where as "stupid" posts such as "What in the Duo competition hell is this..." gets 515...

I wanted to make a gift - donate 100 whatever reddit coins and I was willing to spend 4,99 USD - but it would only accept "cards for rich people", and personally I will never pay via Paypal either ... so I left a (free) THANKS message... ;-)

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

This is handy, and a little cringe to see it all immortalized!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Let's THANK rebane2001... follow this link to Reddit

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Basler Biker wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:06 am

Let's THANK rebane2001... follow this link to Reddit

The Reddit user has registered here under the alias hobune.stream.
His Reddit announcement was also posted here in extenso, with instructions on how to use.
viewtopic.php?p=8607#p8607

arthurkun
Mexico

Post by arthurkun »

Amazing achievement! :shock: Thank you! :D

danford
Great Britain

Post by danford »

Very nice indeed!

:gb: Learning :cn:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

re:
https://duolingo.hobune.stream/

In the discord forum of "Duolingo", this has been done by

rebane2001 — Yesterday at 7:02 PM
I made an archive of the forums which you can browse at https://duolingo.hobune.stream/
https://discordapp.com/channels/8721755 ... 0577551360

For those also in that forum, feel free to thank them. I have also said thanks to them by a trophy symbol.

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

So as a memory it is fantastic and certainly still a nice treasure trove. However, it is not the whole forum, but "only" (but that is already considerable) seen from the English.

The general duolingo forums of French, Spanish, German ... and the underlying language forums from their languages, I have not found there.

Maybe it is also because of me.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Thanks for this heads up. It is greatly appreciated g-heike

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

g-heike wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:46 pm

The general duolingo forums of French, Spanish, German ... and the underlying language forums from their languages, I have not found there.

Certainly some at least of the non-English posts are there. See for example:
Duolingo auf Deutsch
Problemdiagnose
Englisch
Spanisch
Französisch

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

xillegas
Venezuela

Post by xillegas »

Hello! The spanish forum are there? I mean, the general forum in Spanish language, not the one about learn spanish from english

Xillegas

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

g-heike wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:46 pm

So as a memory it is fantastic and certainly still a nice treasure trove. However, it is not the whole forum, but "only" (but that is already considerable) seen from the English.

Maybe it is also because of me.

xillegas wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:58 am

Hello! The spanish forum are there? I mean, the general forum in Spanish language, not the one about learn spanish from english

All the subforums are there too. You just need to know the index number for the /topic. Please check out the post from the creator of the archive here: viewtopic.php?p=8674#p8674

There you'll find all IDs for subforums.

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

Basler Biker wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:42 am

Still now it has only 12 upvotes. Where as "stupid" posts such as "What in the Duo competition hell is this..." gets 515...

I wanted to make a gift - donate 100 whatever reddit coins and I was willing to spend 4,99 USD - but it would only accept "cards for rich people", and personally I will never pay via Paypal either ... so I left a (free) THANKS message... ;-)

Well, if you found the Duo Corporate Boosters defending animations and other irritating "features" at Duo off putting, Reddit is kinda more of the same, with the less obnoxious chat kiddies. Very partisan and "positive" bordering on denial. Not toxic, but too milquetoast for me. I've never regularly seen anything serious or insightful about language learning there.

Of course with the forums closing, that might change.

Image L5

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

CaitNicRun wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:49 pm
Basler Biker wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:42 am

Well, if you found the Duo Corporate Boosters defending animations and other irritating "features" at Duo off putting, Reddit is kinda more of the same, with the less obnoxious chat kiddies. Very partisan and "positive" bordering on denial. Not toxic, but too milquetoast for me. I've never regularly seen anything serious or insightful about language learning there.

Of course with the forums closing, that might change.

I had a look recently and just like the DL Swedish forum was very decent, no trolling, no spamming, real questions and very good answers, so I found the r/svenska not too bad. So yes I'll have a look every now and then there, also because 2 of the best repliers and native/fluent speakers on Dl probably went to reddit rather than here (I haven't seen them registering here yet)...So I might as well try to see them there again. But discord on the other hand...no way !!

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

it really sucks we can't get to stuff just to read only read

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I, and I believe so many of us others in your community agree with you.

Which is also why we are part of the community that has created this resource.

Not just to save the valuable information shared and created by us as a community in the past. But so that we can also add to it. Including to expand on resources.

So a very warm welcome aboard to this project and to this community BrianEngst1 !

I look forward to also hearing your voice and participation.

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Post by Yoong1eKangTerry »

Sad to see about 14 days have passed since the forums were shut down. Perhaps maybe they will opens forums up for plus users only but personally that seems like it would a bad idea. I’m not sure if people would want to pay for plus JUST to have access to forums… or on second thought maybe they would but that would be real sleazy if DL to do that. Besides Duome is a much better place than DL foums in my opinion. The only one thing that I am upset about is great there was a major split in users. So not all of the DL forum users are here. That’s the only down side. Other than that Duome seems to be WAY WAY better than DL.

Also it would’ve been nice if they were to lock all discussions in the forums so at least we could still see the posts and stuff. But what’s done is done. :roll: :) We got what we could and that’s what matters!

Native:🇺🇸(English)| Novice Mid: 🇪🇸(Spanish)|Beginner:🇰🇷(Korean)

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

AlexanderN844702
Canada

Post by AlexanderN844702 »

You've got to be kidding me.
That's incredible.
I mean, how do you even do that?

• AlexanderN844702 (currently hosting the 2023 Duolympics)
Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Yeh, it's well done, by a very lazy person for sure (like me), but a smart one (...no comment).!
[mention]hobune.stream[/mention] - who did us the honour to subscribe here too - "wrote a little script.." I believe it was said...
So you can always send a personal THANK you...

On the real how? I wonder if hobune.stream would like to share the script-code here ???

3rdButterfly
Canada

Post by 3rdButterfly »

This is really really amazing!!! I can only imagine how much work and effort it took to make it!!

Yoong1eKangTerry
United States of America

Post by Yoong1eKangTerry »

Thanks to whoever they are!

Native:🇺🇸(English)| Novice Mid: 🇪🇸(Spanish)|Beginner:🇰🇷(Korean)

LisaKropp
United States of America

Post by LisaKropp »

I have been going crazy trying to find out why Duolingo stopped the discussion forum. I simply cannot understand why they would do that. It was such a helpful tool and a wonderful way to reach out to others in the community and get feedback and most importantly ask questions. Is there anyway this can be restored? I truly miss it. I only found out about this by searching around in despiration.
I have been using Duolingo since October of 2016.

Thanks,

Lisa

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Welcome aboard Lisa !
While we are not Duolingo, many of us also have been long time learners with Duolingo. Though, as like you, we don't know why the forums closed, and why they closed the way they did. And I know many of us also greatly greave the loss of information we were unable to save, yet thankful for what we were able to save.

I hope you feel at home here and are able to continue your learning journey also with this community.
And feel free to also let others know we are here.

How did you find us in the end ?

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I don’t even know what Reddit or discord is really. Talk about a pure green online person. I’m assuming another type of forum. I have never seen them , though.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Meli578588 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:08 pm

I don’t even know what Reddit or discord is really. Talk about a pure green online person. I’m assuming another type of forum. I have never seen them , though.

Discord is a place with forums, live chat and voice chat I understand. Reddit, well reddit has been around for a loooong time.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

LongHenry

Post by LongHenry »

wow this is amazing

Return to “Random Thoughts”