Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

List of Hyperlinks for the Duolingo Vietnamese Course

StewartM
United States of America

List of Hyperlinks for the Duolingo Vietnamese Course

Post by StewartM »

Greetings all,

I am constructing a complete database of the Duolingo Vietnamese course by bookmarking all the hyperlinks to the sentence discussions. This gives students not only the accepted answer but also contributions and explanations from the various course creators and moderators. It is hoped that these will help facilitate students' learning by:

1) Allowing them to check their answers and modify them before hitting the "Check" button;

2) Allow them to see if there may be a problem with the accepted answer or an unfixed error (for instance, only one classifier being accepted when both are allowable, or an English answer that some deem awkward or arbitrary);

3) Read the contributions posted by native speakers on what else is or could or should be accepted, or a better translation, and explanations on usage. There are many good explanations in the discussions that need to be centralized (I am working on that, too). As after the first quarter of the course or so, there is very little teaching in the 'Tips and Notes', it is hope that this will help incorporate some teaching into the course.

4) The list both by-modules and within-modules is in alphabetical order, to make searching easier.
It is hoped making this list of hyperlinks available will help students learn more efficiently and with less frustration.

Caveats and Problems:

1) As I have constructed this list by going through the course myself, it is almost certainly incomplete. It takes going through all five crown levels and dozens of repeats after that to get something like a complete list.

2) Some hyperlinks will not load. That is not a problem with this list, as these won't load straight from Duolingo at times either (by pressing the "Discuss" button). That's due to a bug in Duolingo, these links are broken, and there's nothing I can do about this. It's not related any browser issue, as it will not load when I try different browsers. The title of the hyperlinks, at least, will still give students either the accepted Vietnamese or English answer even when the page does not load.

For this reason, I have also started to build a compilation of broken links to discussion pages. Take a look to see if these links don't load for you either.

3) I"ve tried to purge duplicates from this list. Some still may be there, but that's a minor problem. Duplicates arise from Duolingo's problem in loading discussion pages; I'll end up editing the bookmark myself and then, later, once the discussion page properly loads, it ends up being added again.

4) Apostrophes aren't translated right in the hyperlinks. I've corrected some, but don't know if that does more good than harm.
Future Plans

I plan to update this list, I hope weekly, as I continue to slog through the course, to make the listings of modules I've covered more complete and to add new ones. The idea is to eventually have a database that covers the entire course.

Here is the list of the Hyperlinks:

Word format:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gSPwMu ... sp=sharing

Here is the list of broken Hyperlinks I’ve found so far:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_v-lYl ... sp=sharing

StewartM
United States of America

Re: List of Hyperlinks for the Duolingo Vietnamese Course

Post by StewartM »

A Changelog for this post:

08/08/2020: Updated, added "Questions 1". Noted that I don't have a "Verbs 1", will focus on getting that done. (Since I started doing this late in the course, some of the later modules are more complete than the early ones).

Changelog 8/16/2020

Added most of the Verbs 1 module. Think I've finished most of Questions 1.

Changelog 8/23/2020

Probably almost completed the Verbs 1 module, adding other links when encountered.

Changelog 8/30/2020

Added more exercises from the early modules, such as Basics 1 and 2, Alphabet 1 and 2, Prepositions 2.

Changelog 09/07/2020

Added exercises to Time, Conjunctions, Nominalize, Modals, Country 1, and Past. Removed a couple of duplicates.

Changelog 09/14/2020

Added links to Modals, Attributes, Clothing, Dem Deter, Food, and Travel.

Changelog 09/20/2020

Added links to Abstract Objects 1, Abstract Objects 2, Alphabet 2, Animals 2, Clothing, Colors, Country 2, Determinative, Family, Geography, Miscellaneous, Nominalize, Objects 2, People, Places, Plurals, Politics, Possession, Verbs 2.5, and Verbs 4.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing that some links do appear to be permanently broken, no matter which way I try to access them. That's unfortunate as you can't report a problem (say, in on exercise, the hint is completely blank) fully without accessing the discussion page. More on that later.

Changelog 09/29/2020

Added links to Communications, Jobs, Nature, Negation, Objects 2, Phrases 2, Plurals, Politics, Possession, and Time 2.

Changelong 10/05/2020

Started a new module, Classifiers 2. Added links to Adjectives 1.5, Animals 2, Arts, and Determinative.

Changelog 10/18/2020

Added more links to Classifiers 2 and finished all 5 levels of the module.

Changelog 10/27/2020

Added links to Classifiers 2, Alphabet 2, Continuous, and Phrases 3.

Changelog 12/07/2020

Had interruptions to updating this (had CoVID, among other things): As I rearranged some of the folders, it changed the dates so I can't give a changelog, but no new modules were added.

Changelog 01/04/2021

Added "Jobs 2", and started to add "Medical" though it's probably not complete. Added items to Adjectives 2, Geography, Plurals, and Politics.

01/11/2021

Added items to Medical.

01/19/2021

Added more items to Medical.

Changelog 02/01/2021

Began to add a new module, "Science".

I'm seeing in the mobile Duolingo exercises some exercises that don't show in the web version. If I can get the links to those, I'll start adding them as well.

Changelog 02/08/2021

Added more items to "Science".

I have been having problems with Firefox of late, sometimes the discussion pages load, sometimes they don't; the behavior is erratic. That calls into question two of the links I put in as "broken".

I am also including links the Duolingo Vocabulary pages where there is no apparent link for a sentence; at least readers can see the preferred translation that way.

Changelog 02-15-2021

Added more items to "Science"; added more to "Verbs 4". I am trying to see if I can add stuff from the mobile version of DL but at times those don't seem to show up in web searches. Also, I have to be at the computer while using my phone in order to do this.

Changelog 02-24-2021

Added items to: Science, Medical, Animals 2, Verbs 2, Places, and Nature. I am finding out when I use the Duolingo Mobile version I'm running into more/different links that are present in the web, but just not frequently encountered.

However, I'm also finding exercises like these in the mobile (In "Past"):

She danced for one hundred and six minutes

cô ấy nhảy trong một trăm sáu phút

That don't seem to have any version on the web. I will try to figure out a way to add these.

Lastly, when I run into broken links but I can find the text listed as an example in the Duolingo Vietnamese-English dictionary, I am linking to that.

Changelog 03-10-2021

Added links for: Jobs 2 Modals Miscellaneous Science Medical Country2 Verbs4 Questions1 Communications Arts Jobs Objects2 Politics Phrases3 Places Verbs 2.5

The more I use the mobile version, the more sentences I run into that I didn't see regularly on the web version. Sometimes I can't find them on the web, and I'm making a list of those which I hope to incorporate at some future date (usually, they are just the 'reverse' of what Vietnamese-->English or English-->Vietnamese that I already had included on the web).

Changelog 03-16-2021

Added items to Geography, Adjectives 1.5, Abstract Objects 1, Conjunctions, Politics, Medical, Numbers, Country 1, Abstract Objects 2, and Alphabet 1.

Changelog 03-24-2021

Added Links to: People, Nature, Jobs 2, Adverbs, Verbs 4, Prepositions 1, Future, Animals 2, and Miscellaneous. I continue to get new material on passes using the mobile version, or reverse translations, that I never encountered in many passes using the web version.

Changelog 04-08-2021

Added items to: Time, Country 2, Places, Abstract Objects 1, Adjectives 2, Determinative, Travel, Verbs 3, and Medical. I'm still struggling with a way to include exercises that don't have findable links and/or the reverse translations of what I have.

Changelog 04-19-2021

Added items to Phrases 2, Attributes, Prepositions 1, Objects 2, Family, Nominalize, Phrases 3, and Adjectives 2.

Changelog 04-27-2021

Started a new module, Economics. Added links to Travel, Verbs 4, Past, Animals 2, Medical, Places, Miscellaneous, and Politics.

Changelog 05-05-2021 (Happy Cinco de Mayo!)

Added hyperlinks to Economics, Past, Modals, Verbs 2, Communications, Country 2, and Jobs.
Eventually, even though I won't have the hyperlinks, I'll add exercises, that I see where the discussion pages don't load to give at least one correct English <--> Vietnamese translation for that exercise.

Changelog 05-11-2021

Added links to Places, Time, Phrases 3, Abstract Objects 1, Verbs 4, and Economics.

Changelog 05-20-2021

Added links to Economics, Country 1, Verbs 2.5, Future, Politics, and Jobs 2.

Changelog 05-28-2021

Added links to Economics, Conjunctions, Nature, Abstract Objects 1, Miscellaneous, Abstract Objects 2, Attributes, Animals 2, Frequency, and Places. I will also upload a document having the exercises I will not have links to now soon.

Changelog 10-17-2021

Sorry for the long absence, my computer died, and I had to buy a new one. However, I kept this project going.

Added hyperlinks to Communications, Verbs 4, Adjectives 2, Abstract Objects 1, Abstract Objects 2, Adjectives 1.5, Objects 2, Adverbs, Politics, Verbs 2.5, Jobs 2, Economics, Adjectives 1, Conjunctions, Verbs 2, Medical, and People.

Changelog 10-24-2021

Added links to Astronomy. Added a link to Adjectives 1.

Changelog 11-02-2021

Added links to Astronomy

Changelog 12-13-2021

Added links to Economics, Classifiers 2, Country 2, and Communications.

Changelog 01-08-2022

Added links to Geography, Nominalize, Phrases 3, Attributes, Animals 2, Nature, Alphabet 2, Economics, Classifiers 2, Time, Objects 2, Abstract Objects 1, Verbs 2, Adverbs, Travel, People, Phrases 2, Country 1, and Places. Updated broken links document as well.

Changelog 01-30-2022

Added two new modules, Adjectives 3 and Verbs 5.

Added links to Verbs 2.5, Conjunctions 2, Determinative, Adjectives 1, Modals, Education, Communications, Objects 2, Verbs 4, Abstract Objects 2, Verbs 2, Numbers, Time, and Adjectives 1.5. Updated more broken links as well.

Changelog 02-08-2022

Added links to Time, Adjectives 3, Alphabet 2, Country 2, Travel, Places, Phrases, Medical, Verbs 5, Future, Nature, Phrases 3, Science, Comparison, Verbs 3, Adjectives 2, Ordinate Numbers, and Numbers.

Changelog 02-14-2022 (Valentine's Day!)

Added links to Numbers, Ordinate Numbers, Time, Jobs, People, Politics, Verbs 2, and Family.

Changelog 2-21-2022

Added links to Comparison, Relative Clause, Verbs 5, Nominalize, Miscellaneous, Past, Animals 2, Attributes, Adjectives 3, Geography, Family, and Time.

Changelog 02-28-2022

Added links to Verbs 5, Adjectives 3, Verbs 2.5, Alphabet 1, Basics 2, Objects 2, Verbs 2, Alphabet 2, Country 2, Economics, Prepositions 1, Places, and Time.

Changelog 03-07-2022

Added links to Education, Nature, Phrases 2, Conjunctions 2, Abstract Objects 1, Jobs 2, Prepositions 1, Comparison, and Verbs 2.

Changelog 03-13-2022

Began a new module, "Vietnam". Added links to Politics, Abstract Objects 2, Country 1, Travel, Adjectives 3, People, and Adjectives 2.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 03-22-2022

Added links to Vietnam module.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 03/28/2022

Added links to Adjectives 3, Objects 2, Determinative, Places, Phrases 3, Verbs 4, Communications, and Vietnam.

SheTuti
Switzerland

Post by SheTuti »

This is huge :shock: Thank you, Steward :!:

From 🇨🇭 Bilingual 🇨🇵 🇮🇹 Proficiency 🇩🇪 🇬🇧 Advanced 🇻🇳 Learning 🇫🇮 🇪🇦 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 04-06-2022

Added links to Vietnam, Abstract Objects 1, Alphabet 2, Jobs, Time, and Medical

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

SheTuti wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:14 pm

This is huge :shock: Thank you, Steward :!:

I've been working on it the last two years....for one thing, it helps lower the frustration when only one 'correct answer' is arbitrarily accepted; also you can treat it like your old math or science books, you can write your answer then check it before you hit submit. Finally, you have a resource with which to ask questions "why given this exercise you say this and here in this exercise it's marked wrong"

However, I had assumed that when DL shut down the forums but said that the sentence forums would continue, that they would have kept the sentence forums open for comments. I see they locked them down, which was probably the biggest mistake they have ever made.

Deleted User 1414

Post by Deleted User 1414 »

I wondered why the discussion of the sentence was partially closed. I'm here or on reddit for the time being.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 04-11-2022

Added links to Abstract Objects 2 and Adjectives 2.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 04-20-2022

Added links to Nominalize, Attributes, Relative Clause, and Politics.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 05-04-2022

Added links to Verbs 2.5, People, Verbs 5, Arts, Travel, Sports, and Nature.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 05-11-2022

Added links to Future, Objects 2, and Education.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 05-18-2022

Added links to Conjunctions 2, Abstract Objects 2, Classifiers 2, Adverbs, Places, Communications, Verbs 3, Alphabet 2, Clothing, and Miscellaneous.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 05-25-2022

Added links to Phrases, Abstract Objects 1, Adjectives 2, Comparison, Frequency, Verbs 4, Places, and Animals 2.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 06-15-2022

Added links to Verbs 5, Travel, Country 2, Politics, People.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 08-01-2022

Added new module, History (lots of broken links in it). Added links to Nominalize, Attributes, Determinative, Alphabet 2, Adjectives 2, Prepositions 2, Country 1, Verbs 2.5, Modals, Past, Objects 2, Phrases 3, Jobs, Communications, Abstract Objects 1, Places, Verbs 4, Travel, Animals 2, and Abstract Objects 2.

Some broken links will not even give one the URL. I will start including these in the broken links section.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Added links to Politics, Objects 2, Verbs 3, Places, Miscellaneous, and Country 2.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 08-22-2022

Added links to Abstract Objects 2, Time 2, Communications, Abstract Objects 1, Politics, Attributes, and Places.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 08-29-2022

Started new module, Abstract Objects 3. Added links to Adjectives 2.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 09-07-2022

Added links to Abstract Objects 3, People, and Abstract Objects.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 09-12-2022

Added links to Abstract Objects 3, Phrases 3, Education, and Determinative

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

Changelog 09-21-2022

Added links to Conjunctions 2 and Nature.

StewartM
United States of America

Post by StewartM »

I've uploaded the last installation of the hyperlink list I can. Unfortunately, the Duolingo Vietnamese course has gone to a new structure which invalidates all the hyperlinks I have included. The sentence forums are now gone as well.

I am currently working to use what I have gotten to create a database of all the exercises in the course. This will at least give users a list of accepted translations (though sometimes, the English-to-Vietnamese translation is not accepted for the identical Vietnamese-to-English sentence, arrghhh!, so I have to include both).

As new sentences and words have been added, I will have to go back and find these and include these as well. I finished the entire course this year but will be doing reviews of the material.

Return to “Vietnamese”