Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo forums have now been closed

dakanga

Duolingo forums have now been closed

Post by dakanga »

NOTE: this post is soon to be moved to the Duolingo/Discussions forum. Thank you for your patience.

It is only about 6pm on 21 March 2022, and the Duolingo forums are now not visible.

Except for a small cluster of stickied posts.

I am a bit sad they did not even keep them up until the stated date of 22 March. That is though Duolingo.

IceVajal
Germany

Re: Duolingo forums have now been closed

Post by IceVajal »

I couldn't enter the DL forum about 3-4 hours ago, so I expected that they disappear now.

Btw, [mention]dakanga[/mention] thanks you and all the others for saving all the information and transferring it to Duome!

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

It is wonderful to hear from you IceVajal , and I join you with thanking all the people that have saved so much of the information on Duolingo.

Now comes the fun part, where we get to know each other and really create this community.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Absolutely! Here we can talk and get to know each other! Talk & learn, sounds good to me. :D

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

They're still there (22:30GMT, 21/3)

They're just pretty much unusable, because DL are clearly removing resource from the AWS allocated servers. They just time-out all the time.

Hey-ho. I did manage to get the "new" list earlier. It was all vacuous toot.

:it: (golden tree)
:fr: (80% golden tree)

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

I get just the red banner for hours. :lol:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

comment removed : due to self censoring.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

comment removed : due to self censoring.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

Have you seen this?????

https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... anslation-

NOTE: All Sentence discussions are now read-only. Previously, Android and web users were able to participate in sentence discussions. However, they are now read-only across all platforms.

What the hell!?!?

None of the SD posts are opening from the lessons page. The page quickly opens and closes. Well, this is terrible.

EDIT: Ok, I managed to open 2 SD posts while doing a lesson.

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

oh MY !!!!!

That also makes me super sad.

Thanks for this heads up.

I prefer to know.

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

I don't know what that mean, I can open a sentence thread and the answer-button is active. To vhich sentence discussion are they referring?

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

comment removed - due to self censoring

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

justheaven wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:41 pm

Have you seen this?????

https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... anslation-

NOTE: All Sentence discussions are now read-only. Previously, Android and web users were able to participate in sentence discussions. However, they are now read-only across all platforms.

What the hell!?!?

Unbelievable. That's not what they said in the announcement :( Sentence disussions are pretty much useless now.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

I don't know what that mean, I can open a sentence thread and the answer-button is active. To vhich sentence discussion are they referring?

Apparently starting tomorrow SD will be locked. Making comments will not be possible. This means that SD without a created post will be impossible to discuss. Like this one: https://www.duolingo.com/new-comment?fr ... 981d1f4c1d

Thank god I saw this annoucement in the comments from this post https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/55930597 or here https://archive.ph/amPGS

Thanks to pentaan2 for posting it.

I'm barely opening any forum pages as of now. Everything is slow and almost nothing loads.

I knew it was coming but this is all very bleak. :(

Last edited by justheaven on Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

Explorer wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:16 pm

Unbelievable. That's not what they said in the announcement :( Sentence disussions are pretty much useless now.

I know this is A LOT to ask but can we start moving SD posts on here? At least we can discuss sentences that nobody has made a post about yet.

I'm honestly shocked at the moment.

EDIT: I remember MODs were reassuring everyone that SD posts will be moderated like they used to, there will probably be some new stricter rules about them. Let me find the comment, if it even loads..

https://archive.ph/LKD5F#65%

Check out phoenix7777777' comment.

And while we're on this subject - how are these discussions going to be moderated? I can't imagine each day the mods checking millions (yes millions) of sentence discussions to delete comments that make no sense/are gibberish.

Very likely similar to the way they are being moderated now... I've probably cleaned up (and warned for) just about as many SD comments as I have done in the forums themselves, thanks to those helpful users that make sure to report anything that doesn't belong there. As soon as something ends up in the mod queue we'll be aware of it and can remove it without having to check them individually, especially as global moderators.
AFAIK there will be stricter rules for using the SDs than there are at the moment, which is definitely necessary. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by justheaven on Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

I was, just now, able to add a comment to sentence discussion. (I immediately deleted it, as I was doing it only to see if it worked for me.) So, though I did see what you highlighted, sentence discussions seem still to be modifiable under some circumstances.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

trackerwannabe wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:32 pm

I was, just now, able to add a comment to sentence discussion. (I immediately deleted it, as I was doing it only to see if it worked for me.) So, though I did see what you highlighted, sentence discussions seem still to be modifiable under some circumstances.

I really hope you're right but at this moment I have very very low expectations and lots of stored disappointment.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for them to make SD read-only. No comments to moderate, no spam, no extra Mods answering language questions. It makes perfect sense, yet somehow I still believed that at least we'll have the SD posts to look for explanation and language exchange. Ugh.

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

justheaven wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:44 pm

I really hope you're right but at this moment I have very very low expectations and lots of stored disappointment.

That's entirely understandable. I think our emotions range from displeasure and disappointment all the way to grief and rage.

I think we'd be well-served to start considering what to do if Duolingo collapses down to being a rump-Duo. I would like to think about duome becoming more of a general-purpose language learning forum. We can discuss the pros and cons of using various resources (including, as applicable, Duolingo) and how each might be best utilized, but not restricting ourselves to any one resource. I think that's a good idea in any case.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

Interesting comment from envieuse on this post: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/57001543

This sudden announcement reminded me of something I saw on the iOS app a few months ago when I was a Plus subscriber. I made a post about it called Upgrade to Gold - has anyone tried this? Duolingo's tutoring feature. I asked in the title if anyone's tried it, but that was before I understood it was actually just an announcement and hasn't been released yet.

We were discussing in the comments as well and Lavande_et_roses brought up an interesting fact - it's similar to the forum in that you ask your language questions here for clarification. Now that the forum is shutting down and sentences are read-only, I think they're getting ready to push users to subscribe to this Gold tier to access the tutoring feature.

In case you can't access the link in the comment: https://archive.ph/RjClh

Now I understand why they didn't inform anyone about this change to the SDs until the last minute. It's all about the $$$$$.

I'm tired.

Last edited by justheaven on Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

justheaven wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:20 pm

Apparently starting tomorrow SD will be locked. Making comments will not be possible. This means that SD without a created post will be impossible to discuss. Like this one: https://www.duolingo.com/new-comment?fr ... 981d1f4c1d

Oh, that is worse than I thought. I thought they'll leave the sentence discussion as they are. A lot of the DS are useless without the possibility to write a comment.

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

justheaven wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:44 am

Interesting comment from envieuse on this post: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/57001543

This sudden announcement reminded me of something I saw on the iOS app a few months ago when I was a Plus subscriber. I made a post about it called Upgrade to Gold - has anyone tried this? Duolingo's tutoring feature. I asked in the title if anyone's tried it, but that was before I understood it was actually just an announcement and hasn't been released yet.

That's a feature Busuu added sometime ago. It didn't appeal to me there, and it doesn't appeal to me on Duolingo.

But it makes me wonder... With the planned addition of paid tutoring services, the elimination of the forums, the freezing of the sentence discussions, ... they are starting to look more like Busuu. Are they feeling the competition? If so, it would seem (to me) a better idea to emphasize the distinctions, not try to become a pale imitation. (But what do I know?)

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

trackerwannabe wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:58 am

But it makes me wonder... With the planned addition of paid tutoring services, the elimination of the forums, the freezing of the sentence discussions, ... they are starting to look more like Busuu. Are they feeling the competition? If so, it would seem (to me) a better idea to emphasize the distinctions, not try to become a pale imitation. (But what do I know?)

It seems that they are changing their business modell to increase their incomes. Maybe the days that duolingo is a free language learning plattform are counted.
I would never put Busuu nearby Duolingo. They have a different approach. On the other hand the free membership in busuu is more annoying than util :D But ok, that is completely different topic.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

Kevin just posted this here https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/57000938 regarding freezing SD.

Can I be both relieved and suspicious? Hmm..

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

I am still able to view the Duolingo forums. Yes, things are take FOREVER to load, but I’m still seeing new “Goodbye” posts coming in.

Everyone is saying goodbye, I said see you later, and posted my last link to the Duome forums.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Lee Austin
Germany

Post by Lee Austin »

They are still open for me, maybe its because different time zones? However almost every post there is a goodbye post so I guess it is pretty much done now

Image[/img][/img][/img][/img]

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

Glad it's not just me. Yes, threads are slower than treacle and need to be reloaded constantly. I feel sorry for the great mods who have to field questions. Bad mods, not so much.

I think only a fraction of goodbye posts are getting through. The sentence discussions locking is truly the limit though.

Image L5

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

dakanga wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:50 pm

It is only about 6pm on 21 March 2022, and the Duolingo forums are now not visible.

Except for a small cluster of stickied posts.

I am a bit sad they did not even keep them up until the stated date of 22 March. That is though Duolingo.

They were still functioning as of 12:30 a.m. EST the morning of the 22nd. Better than they had been earlier in the day, in fact, although still lagging.

My suspicion is that a) the forums have been getting unusually high traffic as everyone wanted to get in a few last words, read what everyone else was writing, etc. before the forums closed and b) Duolingo has probably let forum maintenance lapse the last little while, since why bother to repair what´s about to go away no matter what you do?

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I am thankful this place, and MOST importantly, this community is here.

I still believe in us, and that together, we can build great things.

Thank you for ever so many of you that bring great gifts to our community.
And especially your goodwill and kindness that you also show to each other.

I still believe in tomorrow, and what wonderful things that we as a community are going to create.

insieme.

Return to “Random Thoughts”