Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo forums have now been closed

Sofia222677

Re: Duolingo forums have now been closed

Post by Sofia222677 »

pawndemic wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:23 pm

I guess they have closed the forum this noon (european time)

More like noon US time. I still managed to publish a final post at 18:57 CET (screenshot in my previous comment).

PaulSJ wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:32 pm

You may still be able to access some Duolinguo Forum pages on Microsoft Edge if you had saved them as favourites.

It's all gone now, sadly. This afternoon I was browsing my bookmarked DL forum links (constantly refreshing in order to archive them), when at 18:47 CET the first "page offline" message showed up for me.

PaulSJ wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:32 pm

I have accessed a page, it just now says at the top of it "This discussion is locked".

That's just sentence discussions, regardless of the browser.

:it: N - :gb: B2 (working towards C1) - Learning :de: - Dabbling in :cn:, :ru:

2GreyCats
United States of America

Post by 2GreyCats »

justheaven wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:41 pm

What the hell!?!?

None of the SD posts are opening from the lessons page. The page quickly opens and closes. Well, this is terrible.

EDIT: Ok, I managed to open 2 SD posts while doing a lesson.

So… they lied. They told us that SD would continue.

How in the flaming heck is a new learner going to ask a question?

“What the space program needs are more English majors.”— Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11.

Native: 🇺🇸. Learning: 🇩🇪 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 🇨🇳 🇯🇵

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

2GreyCats wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:28 pm
justheaven wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:41 pm

What the hell!?!?

None of the SD posts are opening from the lessons page. The page quickly opens and closes. Well, this is terrible.

EDIT: Ok, I managed to open 2 SD posts while doing a lesson.

So… they lied. They told us that SD would continue.

How in the flaming heck is a new learner going to ask a question?

They have to find their way to the Duome forum or another forum, coz Discord won't be of big help.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hello all,

my nerves are blank - pretty much exhausted.
And this posting finally got way too long than intended. Shall I split it somehow into 2-3 parts?
I know how you must have felt DaKanga for the past weeks.
Nice, I could also save several of my posts including various cross links to other interesting general / French or Spanish posts from long-term users.

Saving each archive.ph link with title and thread_id/comment_id link individually was not really planned by me.
I am even surprised I could rescue a few things as I am busy with other stuff in my personal life.
I wish I had some time to play around with true recursive tools.

I)

I installed a small CSV tool today (borrowed Laptop got an unplanned Windows reinstall 2-3 weeks ago), sorted the second title column and found that a few created posts were still missing.

The good news is that some of the threads/comments are still accessible over Google cache.
If you still have the concrete link you wanted to save or the comment_id (=thread_id) from the forum-posts.csv there is at least a 30-40:60 chance that you still can access it next days/weeks and save it locally with EverNote or send the cached page with the browser extension to archive.ph.

Example forum-posts.csv
Comment_id, Title, message
123456789, MyTitleOfmycreatedPost (non blank), message,...

Now go to google.com and enter forum.duolingo.com/comment/123456789 or www.duolingo.com/comment/123456789 if your thread is much older.

If it is listed as indexed (I guess they might fall out from the index when the bots can't access anymore or sitemap/robots.txt disallows the visit) you often can click the small arrow button and choose "Cache" from the option popup window.
Hopefully the cached content is not overwritten too quickly by the new splash screen.
Once the website on Google cache is correctly displayed with the expected comments and your text you can click the archive icon at the top right corner so the bot can do its job.

Example:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=de
https://archive.ph/DcUSP

archive.ph itself also supports some hints like Google Cache if it can't find your comment/thread.
But it only shows this if you remove the first https:// and don't try to enter an absolute unique url.
Be aware that the new syntax is forum.duolingo.com. Older threads were previously saved as www.duolingo.com. I got totally confused on my older threads were the link names were different and I didn't find that string in my text document.
So it makes sense to enter star.duolingo.com/comment/123456789star (especially the "*" star is important if more title text was appended to the url) for the search keyboard on archive.ph website.
Many times it offers you to follow the Google Cache link.
If not you can go to google.com directly and enter your constructed thread_id URL link and test for yourself what is possible.

It may happen that a few threads have not been visited for a longer time so most recent comments are missing.
I ran into that issue with a German thread from the languages listing.

With that tactic I was able to recover 2-3 more threads after the forums closing down and I will keep an eye on what threads of my own I have initially missed searching back and forth the forum and google.

II)

The quickest thing to do with an Excel / OpenOffice table program (single smaller CSV programs exist too!) for me was to resort all the 36,234 rows and order them by title desc or asc.

As you probably know, the title column is blank for threads you have NOT created for yourself, but which you only have posted to.

It is a bit sad that all the archive.ph pages to subsequent https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/... links were not automatically replaced in a page when you referenced other posts or there is an index listing.
Or that an archive.ph web page still links to the forum.duolingo.com URLs on the main page.
Would have been nice if archive.ph new by itself how to reconstruct an index or linked post.

So you all did a much better job reconstructing the threads manually! :-)

I don't think I can use / publish my saved thread texts directly and further posted comments therein as the archive.ph subsequent cross-referenced post numbers are always missing.
Anyway, some are now at least available/saved, even it means we are having to waste our time to probably restruct them to its fullest like you guys are doing it here for weeks on the Duome forums.

III)

In case you might have missed the one thread talking about EverNote, here it is.

"Using Evernote to save copies of threads easily and efficiently": https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/56936060
Archive link: https://archive.ph/7JTda

You can still do this from Google cache pages, were available (and up to date), too.
Sorry, I have not tried it yet.

IV)

Basically, I feel so bad that I lost all/most of my big followed thread list; some of the last 5+ years were indeed interesting and truly worth of a FULL backup.
But to play around with IT tools, scripts, recursive levels and auto replacement strings it would have taken me weeks to months to get a headstart.
Couldn't push myself checking more out about this horrible "lazy loading" (and freezing) of threads or topic subscriptions.
There was one user offering me a script in my created IT leecher thread, but I didn't really have my head free to go into this stuff last days and weeks.
Surprisingly, nobody from Duolingo admins/developers responded back with a concrete manual and tool usage / suggestion list. Not there, not in any official threads.
Do you know if anyone of them tried to save a few interesting threads for themselves internally? Didn't they run into the same issues like us?

I also had opened a bug report and told staff how useless their Data Vault file actually is without any RE: thread titles.
I can't correlate my exported comments to any comment ids as the thread_id and thread_title is missing!

..(...)..

V)

There was for me another major problem with the download url through Drive-Thru.

I found the solution, working now on a PC with Firefox (Nightly), Chrome, etc. or smartphone browser (Chrome Dev@Android did its job to ignore the last dot).
First you have to remove the final "." dot at the end of the download link from the e-mail.
Indeed, a webpage will be opened where a blue button "Download personal data" is shown.
Stated in the e-mail: https://drive-thru.duolingo.com/download/123456789/ABCdEFgh.
Just remove the "." dot at the end and edit the URL to this: https://drive-thru.duolingo.com/download/123456789/ABCdEFgh

The Duolingo FAQ https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... ement-FAQ- says you can still download your Data vault file until 01. May 2022 if you had requested soon enough (before 22. March)!!

So if you might have missed it and you are unsure what personal created threads you have all forgotten (which you can hopefully save from Google cache next days), check it out!

Sorry that this opening post (my first one here) got so long.
But if you know me already for years, you're probably used to this style anyway ;)

I am open to any splitting or formatting suggestions by moderators.
Is there any better place to write about this detail stuff than this "Closing forums" thread? Will it catch anyone's attention?

Have a good day / night.

Best regards from Germany

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Seiryuu
Canada

Post by Seiryuu »

I'm going to hold my tongue and wait for a week or so to see if sentence discussions reopen. It's going to take some time between maintenance and finalising new policies.

:canada: – Native
:cn: (Cantonese) – Conversational
:de: – Low-intermediate | :it: – Low-intermediate | :jp: – Conversational

2GreyCats
United States of America

Post by 2GreyCats »

They have to find their way to the Duome forum or another forum, coz Discord won't be of big help.

I am sad about this in another way… I enjoyed answering grammar questions in SD in the German from English course. I just realized there will be no more emails to me from Duo with newly posted questions from users. :cry:

“What the space program needs are more English majors.”— Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:47 am

Hi Thomas,

Good to see you here.

Perhaps some of these links might be helpful:

viewtopic.php?t=2856
https://duolingo.hobune.stream/
Don't know how much this will contain:
https://duolingo.hobune.stream/comment/56958193
https://silkthreads-library.blogspot.com/

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

The dictionary is still up, but there is no way to access it that I know of without a bookmark.

You have to change the language by typing in a language code at the top.

It doesn't seem so easy to keep one's streak when the forum is elsewhere. :(

Edit: The dictionary can be found under events in more... Thanks trackerwannabe!

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Will709432

Post by Will709432 »

I just don't see the point of duo crippling its users by locking the sentence discussions. Really dismayed today to discover this. Whole new unfriendly feel to duo now.

Will709432

Post by Will709432 »

Re Thomas.Heiss.
Hello, Thomas. Haven't forgotten how useful your comments were back when duo was a more friendly place. Great to see you on here. Hope you stick around.

2GreyCats
United States of America

Post by 2GreyCats »

Will709432 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:13 am

I just don't see the point of duo crippling its users by locking the sentence discussions. Really dismayed today to discover this. Whole new unfriendly feel to duo now.

My thoughts exactly. Silly me, I believed them when they said they were leaving the Sentence Discussions alone.

Worse, by just locking them as they are without clearing out all the clutter they’ve cheerfully immortalized all the “my answer is just as good!” comments for all time.

Artemis
Norway

Post by Artemis »

I agree. I feel so down after this happened, especially because I was also shadow banned right before the forum closed, by a moderator who had an axe to grind. No way to say a final goodbye to forum friends who weren't coming on here. We all thought we would still have the sentence discussions. I have a heavy heart, and I have lost the mojo to finish my Greek tree which is nearly golden. I never really liked Duolingo that much until I discovered the forums and the sentence discussions. This is all so sad.

Native Norwegian, comfortable in English (C1), learning Greek (A2-B1), know some German and a little Spanish

MagyarJános
Hungary

Post by MagyarJános »

Artemis wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:27 pm

I agree. I feel so down after this happened, especially because I was also shadow banned right before the forum closed, by a moderator who had an axe to grind. No way to say a final goodbye to forum friends who weren't coming on here. We all thought we would still have the sentence discussions. I have a heavy heart, and I have lost the mojo to finish my Greek tree which is nearly golden. I never really liked Duolingo that much until I discovered the forums and the sentence discussions. This is all so sad.

For my Hungarian trees, I kept putting in translations as if the sentences were math problems. I have something to go by if I miss things sometimes.
(Felolvassa) (nekem) (a könyvet).
(He reads up) (to me) (the book dir obj).
He reads "aloud" to me the book.
He reads me the book. ROFL!

duome

Post by duome »

Stasia wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:55 pm

So this is it. The king is dead, long live the new king - the reign of Duome has officially began.

However dark the cloud, there's always a silver lining... )

I didn't have any chance to do anything "spectacular" about it, but - what a coincidence - it was the sunset of duolingo forums yesterday and it's duome(eu) birthday today. It's exacly 4 years ago that we have been discussing duolingo.eu > duome.eu transition with Severin and this is when the duome.eu domain name was registered. March 23, 2018.

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

Were you the one posting links to Duome? Someone allegedly was was banned "for another reason" after promoting the forum. But after my first account was shadowbanned, I learned to be real careful. I'm pretty sure my axe grinder knew it was a second account(which is weirdly okay on Duo) and tried to bait me in the last couple of days. I was just ridiculously polite...

Sorry you lost access to your online study buddies. If this is your same handle, they might find you here.

Image L5

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:47 am

Hello all,

Have a good day / night.

Best regards from Germany

Hi Thomas! Glad to see you here!

I remember your very helpful posts. Sometimes they were a bit overwhelming, but often had better information than the official Duo threads.

Hope to see more of you here!

Image L5

Artemis
Norway

Post by Artemis »

CaitNicRun wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:34 pm

Were you the one posting links to Duome? Someone allegedly was was banned "for another reason" after promoting the forum. But after my first account was shadowbanned, I learned to be real careful. I'm pretty sure my axe grinder knew it was a second account(which is weirdly okay on Duo) and tried to bait me in the last couple of days. I was just ridiculously polite...

Sorry you lost access to your online study buddies. If this is your same handle, they might find you here.

Thanks! No, that wasn't me. I won't go too much into it, but let's say I became a scapegoat …

Hopefully more people will find their way in here sooner or later. But I think many won't.

Native Norwegian, comfortable in English (C1), learning Greek (A2-B1), know some German and a little Spanish

Kelikaku
Israel

Post by Kelikaku »

... don't see the point of duo crippling its users ...

... I was also shadow banned right before the forum closed ... all so sad. ...

... Someone allegedly was was banned "for another reason" after promoting the forum ... my axe grinder knew it was a second account ... I was just ridiculously polite ...

I would have thought that the last day, or at LEAST the last 12 hours, they, instead, should have "unbanned" all active users. What is the point? They just missed their grand chance to grant a 24 hour amnesty. Just cruel, in my opinion, cruel, petty, and craven of them.

This will never happen here. Take heart.

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

trackerwannabe
United States of America

Post by trackerwannabe »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:48 am

The dictionary is still up, but there is no way to access it that I know of without a bookmark.

On the Events page, the "More" dropdown menu (between "Shop" and the language icon) still contains the Dictonary option. The URL seems, when used, to automatically update the language to the current target language. I don't know for how much longer the option will be around.

The link https://dictionary.duolingo.com/ appears to work similarly.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

trackerwannabe wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:42 am
Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:48 am

On the Events page, the "More" dropdown menu (between "Shop" and the language icon) still contains the Dictonary option. The URL seems, when used, to automatically update the language to the current target language. I don't know for how much longer the option will be around.

The link https://dictionary.duolingo.com/ appears to work similarly.

Thanks trackerwannabe! That's where to find it!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

duome wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:27 pm

So this is it. The king is dead, long live the new king - the reign of Duome has officially began.

I didn't have any chance to do anything "spectacular" about it, but - what a coincidence - it was the sunset of duolingo forums yesterday and it's duome(eu) birthday today. It's exacly 4 years ago that we have been discussing duolingo.eu > duome.eu transition with Severin and this is when the duome.eu domain name was registered. March 23, 2018.

Happy birthday Duome! Maybe we should be having a welcome party instead of a funeral!

![](https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6LFy1VQQEBI/ ... C07782.JPG)

Woo! Man, that owl filled the whole screen! Maybe I am going to have to learn to reduce pictures.

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:52 am, edited 6 times in total.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Kelikaku wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:57 pm

... Someone allegedly was was banned "for another reason" after promoting the forum ... my axe grinder knew it was a second account ... I was just ridiculously polite ...

I would have thought that the last day, or at LEAST the last 12 hours, they, instead, should have "unbanned" all active users. What is the point? They just missed their grand chance to grant a 24 hour amnesty. Just cruel, in my opinion, cruel, petty, and craven of them.

This will never happen here. Take heart.

I was sad not to be able to say goodbye to people I know on there because they were deleted simply for helping people find another place to go when the forum finished.

Deutscheratte
United States of America

Post by Deutscheratte »

Duo just killed off the only useful way to correct grammar by locking the individual sentence discussions in the modules. I'm glad I'm almost through the German tree. It's good by Duo after that, and no more recommendation to friends, ever!

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:23 am
duome wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:27 pm

Happy birthday Duome! Maybe we should be having a welcome party instead of a funeral!

![](https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-6LFy1VQQEBI/ ... C07782.JPG)

Woo! Man, that owl filled the whole screen! Maybe I am going to have to learn to reduce pictures.

This makes me feel even more like we need to rescue the Owl from the clutches of corporatism.

Oh, and I think I found a quick fix to your image issue. Just edit the URL.

Image L5

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

Kelikaku wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:57 pm

These words did feature in my multiple reports/email. Except I used "cowardly".

Image L5

Amlir
Russia

Post by Amlir »

The forum has been safely cut down, but there is still no noticeable or even any link, leading here, on the duolingo website. But it was expected that the link would already be there before the 22nd....Thus, the newcomers will not even know about this place. I hope something will be done about it. Otherwise, only oldies will be here :geek: .
On the other hand, it begins to seem to me that by preserving the academic part of the discussions, they meant the option when, if an error occurs, during the lesson, this very opportunity is highlighted, to poke at the discussion.... If they have acted cynically to such an extent, it is no longer in any gate :|.
Then, at least, no one will be surprised by the absence of a link there).

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

So I looked...and discovered in spite of my best efforts to kill it, my streak is still alive...and the SD are indeed locked. There's no link to this forum, but there's no link to anywhere else either, not even their Discord club.

I just don't think Duo the company is interested in promoting language learning communities.

Image L5

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

CaitNicRun wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:36 pm

So I looked...and discovered in spite of my best efforts to kill it, my streak is still alive...and the SD are indeed locked. There's no link to this forum, but there's no link to anywhere else either, not even their Discord club.

I just don't think Duo the company is interested in promoting language learning communities.

That is not true, in this help text https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... ement-FAQ- duolingo mention the unofficial discord server:

Where can I meet other Duolingo fans and find communities about Duolingo?

There is an unofficial Duolingo Discord server for learners of any language where people can chat and practice. Many of our forum regulars and moderators are members. It’s free for anyone to join.

Sue588388
United States of America

Post by Sue588388 »

Here in Minnesota (Central Daylight Savings Time) the forums went down at 12:45 pm on March 22. I posted a comment right around that time (I think it went through).

Received 2 emails after I saw the Duo sleeping on the moon message - envieuse at 12:53 pm, and Jim334306 at 1:01 pm. Then email silence.

-RIP
-the suspense is finally over
-duome will thankfully be my new neighborhood!

Native 🇺🇸 Learning 🇪🇸 🇫🇷 🇺🇦
“When words are both true and kind, they can change the world.” —Buddha

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

g-heike wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:48 pm
CaitNicRun wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:36 pm

That is not true, in this help text https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... ement-FAQ- duolingo mention the unofficial discord server:

Where can I meet other Duolingo fans and find communities about Duolingo?

There is an unofficial Duolingo Discord server for learners of any language where people can chat and practice. Many of our forum regulars and moderators are members. It’s free for anyone to join.

Thanks. But it's hard to find. I see no easy way to find that from the home page or default page. Are you on the app? I only uses desktop these days.

Image L5

Return to “Random Thoughts”