Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Hanami, ephemeral beauty

Moderator: Explorer

Explorer
Portugal

Hanami, ephemeral beauty

Post by Explorer »

Majestic trees stretching their rose crowns towards the sky, tiny petals being whirled around by spring winds, and the pleasantly aching knowledge that this breathtaking beauty will perish after only a few days. It's the Hanami (花見), which means flower viewing in Japanese, a tradition whose roots are traced to the Nara period (710–794).

Every year from the end of March to early May, people gather around cherry blossom trees with family and friends to enjoy delicious food and drinks under the pink trees, often with the petals gently snowing from the branches when in full bloom. It's a time to admire, ponder, and celebrate life and nature. This is undoubtedly my favorite time of year.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Madame Sensei
Japan

Re: Hanami, ephemeral beauty

Post by Madame Sensei »

Just to add to what Explorer has said so eloquently with an absolutely gorgeous picture, there is a concept of あわれ. This means "You'd better appreciate it before it's gone." You will see the image of cherry blossums in a lot of love poetry. "We were so happy together, and then it was over" is the sort of vibe. Be in the moment, so that you don't regret not having done/said/experienced something.

You remember the computer-animated Astro Boy movie that was made by a small British-American team? I was watching the director's commentary ('cause I am a nerd, remember), and the authors were mentioning that they were so confused at the battle they had to fight with the Hong Kong animation studio with the last scene that they wanted. They envisioned Astro Boy sitting under a beautiful cherry tree, and they couldn't figure out why the animators absolutely did not want to do that. What the authors didn't understand was that the imagery implies that maybe Astro Boy's battery is about to die or something like that. Anyway, I laughed when I first saw the movie, because I knew the screenwriters must have misunderstood the significance.

Yes, it is indeed a beautiful time. And the weather is good so take a picnic and enjoy every minute of it. I personally really love the pink puddles under the trees.

Thank you for the post, Explorer!

Return to “Culture & Society”