Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Discord Server - Being Promoted by Duolingo - Are You Going There?

Kelikaku
Israel

Discord Server - Being Promoted by Duolingo - Are You Going There?

Post by Kelikaku »

I noticed today, that in the last day of the activity on the "official" forum, there is an announcement (with over 1000 down toots) that the moderators at the Duolingo forum are all going over to a Duolingo Sanctioned Discord Sever, run by "our amazing mods:"

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/56911662

Judging by the deplorable (in my opinion) way that the Duolingo Forum had been moderated/run during my entire time on Duolingo (several years), I am pretty certain that I won't even be registering over there! I don't need to find a new place where freedom of speech is stifled to the point of creating a suffocating environment that limits the imagination (which is just my experience, not to say it was everyone). Frankly I'd be terrified to go there, out of fear of being disappointed and heartbroken. I can just see newcomers going there and having their hearts crushed by insensitive cohorts and not being able to do anything to protect them, or welcome them properly.

What about you? Are you going to come to the new Duolingo Discord website?

Thanks so very much.
Keep up the good work.

bs'd

IceVajal
Germany

Re: Discord Server - Being Promoted by Duolingo - Are You Going There?

Post by IceVajal »

I checked out the different places suggested by users, but Discord and Reddit just be chaotic it seems.

Hopefully more language lovers will discover Duome!

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

4theAEsir
Great Britain

Post by 4theAEsir »

I certainly won't be joining. A good community forum has been created here and hopefully it will continue to grow and progress.

Learning :de::jp: Re-Learning Image

Today's mood is :?:

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

Discord and forums are completely different.

A forum has more structure, and many places to house different information and discussions. I find just about every Discord server to be like a big, crowded party where one main General room is so packed with people that any message you leave usually disappears and is easily missed.

I had joined a long time ago, but never used it. My experience is that someone was hounding me to join one of the voice channels, and it put me off. I also found that my messages were getting lost in a sea of the casual chatting. I'm there, just because I am. No other reason.

Now that I know it's run by the former Duolingo mods, I won't be changing my Discord global username to HeyMarlana anytime soon. :)

So to answer your question. I'm there, but not. Don't plan to use it.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

Discord being suggested by the Duolingo MODs of all people is honestly ridiculous, kind of funny and insulting all in one. To me at least.

Since I've been archiving a lot of posts from the DL forums, I realized all the effort and passion people have put in these posts and lessons. Beautifully formatted, with carefully made tables, highlighted, bolded, colored, resources stated, examples given, etc, etc. People wanted to share their language knowledge or a bit of their culture in the best way they could. And when it comes to the comment section and how insightful some of the discussions are, with such helpful explanations. And you could always go back to them when you need them.

How in the world was Discord even an option to replace the forums, I'll never know.

Even Proboards would've been a better idea.
Hell, even Livejournal would've been a better idea.

I don't know, but I'm immensely glad that this forum exists. First day I joined I knew this is the place I want to be. Thank you to Duome and all the other tireless bees making this place so nice and welcoming. It's been a little more than a month and look at what we've accomplished. You're why I'm here.

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

justheaven wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:16 pm

I run the Proboards board: https://lifeandlanguage.boards.net/

The thing is any time I linked it, it was severely downvoted by the same club of people on the Duo [English] forum, which I can only assume also led to my shadowban. For some reason, the same few people were either extremely against a Proboards board, or against the fact that I had been running it already for over a year. For whatever the reason, my head was held underwater about it, and I am glad that some users who were reputable on Duolingo also helped promote it and still are.

That board is more of a language club with lively discussion, while this one looks like the place to be for some discussion but mainly to find archived information [from Duo] to help with language goals. These two boards are very different, yet both very good depending on what a language-learner needs.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

HeyMarlana wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:04 pm
justheaven wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:16 pm

I run the Proboards board: https://lifeandlanguage.boards.net/

The thing is any time I linked it, it was severely downvoted by the same club of people on the Duo [English] forum, which I can only assume also led to my shadowban. For some reason, the same few people were either extremely against a Proboards board, or against the fact that I had been running it already for over a year. For whatever the reason, my head was held underwater about it, and I am glad that some users who were reputable on Duolingo also helped promote it and still are.

That board is more of a language club with lively discussion, while this one looks like the place to be for some discussion but mainly to find archived information [from Duo] to help with language goals. These two boards are very different, yet both very good depending on what a language-learner needs.

Oh yes, I have a registration to your forum too. I saw it was first mentioned on the Duolingo forum closure announcement and I quickly registered there too. I also saw a lot of regular DL users on there which was comforting. Duome and yours are very different forums indeed but both are a million times better alternatives than Discord.

As for your shadowban, that's a mystery to me and a very weird decision from the Mods. The saddest part is that all your helpful comments in the SD posts will now be invisible to everyone but yourself. Literally everything you've contributed will be invisible. And all that for posting a link a number of times especially in these desperate times. It's sad.

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

Thanks, JH. :) I thought you meant that there should be a Proboards forum, period. Of course it would have been nice if the Duolingo powers that be had a back-up plan, but since they didn't... two things occurred:

1) The Life & Language forum was already in operation for over a year by a 'regular user' on Duolingo--me. Duo mods could have created a Proboards forum and it could have taken off. But when I advertised the link, I had noticed a few users badmouthed L&L for false information about Proboards to mask their disdain for either me or L&L (ie. "not safe", it was "technically not accessible", etc.). If they say they felt that way about Proboards, they would have had to equally feel that way about any Duo-mod created Proboards, correct? ;) Can't have it both ways.

2) Duome's Forum was created the day of the closure announcement. Duome provided a natural transition for users who wanted to feel the Duolingo connection. Duome offered Duolingo stats, contained the Green Owl mascot, so it made sense that users automatically felt a sense of familiarity. It quickly blossomed and it seemed that people preferred to build a home of their own, and to make this forum the place they wanted all along. Many people who resented Duolingo's decision began to feel at home here, and became used to the interface, even preferring it.

It didn't leave much unless people were prepared to spend real money on a forum hosting site like Ning. And if that were the case, users would be solicited to spend their money to cover the costs. Since that wouldn't happen... I conclude with:

3) (This is merely an assumption) The Discord forum is supposedly operated by "the amazing Duo mods" because of...pride. Am I wrong? If I am, then why aren't most of them on either of these two forums, that most people went to? Odd, since Discord links were often downvoted and posts deleted about them concerning safety? Talk about chatting-galore with minors!--something that Duolingo worked hard at preventing. Most of the Duolingo mods have chosen not to create accounts on Duome or L&L. I only see maybe 2-3 recognizable names on either forum. DaKanga being the exception of transitioning from Duo mod to Duome mod. I found that very strange. They either didn't join, or are using new usernames. Weren't the Duo mods users who also were once regular users themselves enjoying the fact they could connect with others? If so, why not now? Therefore I am assuming pride. In my opinion, if that's the case, that is not what the spirit of language learning is about.

Personally, I have always welcomed the mods from Duolingo to join L&L when I was linking it, and even extended an invite to Kevin and the Admins both publicly and in a private submit-report message (when I was trying to appeal my shadowban). Anyone who hasn't yet joined, they are still offered an invite. Being a regular user after being a mod shouldn't be that hard of a pill to swallow. I know, I've swallowed many a-pill myself, and did it because it was the right thing to do. We're here for the same purpose, are we not? This is why I believe in both of these forums, and continue using Discord for gaming.

Last edited by HeyMarlana on Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sorry, just fine-tuning to fix grammar/typos, etc.

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

I have been on Discord (what's in a name?) for a while. Thousand or more users doing virtually nothing or at least nothing useful. Guess the most busy thread is the showcase of owls... which they recently morphed into cups. I hope they don't follow this design change on DuoMe.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I need everyone to know, there are so many fantastic and wonderful Duolingo mods and also contributors, that have done enormous work behind the scenes. Also, we have quite a few of them that are also now part of this community.

What you saw of the work they did, and some are continuing to do in the sentence discussions, what you saw was only a small part of it in many ways.

I hope we will also choose to welcome them here, and also make them feel welcome. While we also strive to make our community, and what the focus of our community is about.

Just as we welcome all of us here, and to seek assistance and give assistance for learning languages.

I am honored to be among your number.

And I also thank ever so many of you for all you have already done. Including all the thoughtful responses in this discussion.

Now comes our fun task to continue to build and support this community to achieve and become the interactive language learning forum I see us striving for.

danford
Great Britain

Post by danford »

Been there, but have to admit being pretty clueless about what I'm supposed to be doing there. I find the interface horribly crowded and unhelpful.

:gb: Learning :cn:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Also, please note, if you have not read it before, I can do mistakes.

I remain answerable to this community.

Please point out when you consider I have done an error, so I can attend to it.

Thank you again for all the wonderful things you as a community has done to build us to where we are at, at this moment.

And - all of us make this community. You are a key part of that.

Thank you also for the kindness you choose to show to others.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

HeyMarlana wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:31 pm

3) (This is merely an assumption) The Discord forum is supposedly operated by "the amazing Duo mods" because of...pride. Am I wrong? If I am, then why aren't most of them on either of these two forums, that most people went to? Odd, since Discord links were often downvoted and posts deleted about them concerning safety? Talk about chatting-galore with minors!--something that Duolingo worked hard at preventing.

This is a very good point and I had the same thought when I saw that they are promoting Discord (of all the other much much better alternatives). Basically everything the Duolingo forums stood against is now being the forum replacement?! It makes no sense, it's ridiculous. And most of all it's not suited for language learning purposes. But I have a feeling that's not the priority there anymore.

And another thing. The effort users had to make to share links to this forum and L&L (to the point that you were banned) only to inform more people that there are other alternatives for language learners. If you like Discord, that's great, use it! But what if you enjoy the structure of a forum? It looks like no Mod ever wanted to put any links to those in any of the announcement posts (for some reason). It was the least they could do, so we - the regular users - didn't have to struggle with both saving and archiving countless posts AND informing folks that they have other great forum options.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

It is also why I am sad they (whoever they are) have chosen to go to static word press presentation of language learning information to save the learning resources.

There is limited interaction possible I understand. It is more like publishing a book, with limited ability for learners to interact.

They are doing this with strict ethics and respect to those that shared information. But they are stifling the learning environment and participation.

I am glad they are doing what they can to save information. And hopefully that we, in this growing and interactive community will be able to link to the resources they have managed to save/are saving.

Now - where is the link to that resource .... ?

edited : perhaps this will help : https://archive.ph/EFQHn

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

comment removed - due to self censoring

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

comment removed - due to self censoring

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

No, I'm not going there. A forum can only be replaced by another forum. Discord is not even a viable alternative.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 🇳🇱 |

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

I've never been on Discord, so I looked it up (I managed to open the "Important Updates" thread half an hour ago, and I followed the provided link). After giving "a" date of birth ;) and without providing an email to create account, one can lurk around.

Well... It looks chaotic. I don't want to come out as too judgemental - oh well, OK, whom am I kidding, I really don't care how you read it - but I can see why the Discord chat format may be appealing for the youngest of Duolingo user base. It's not unlike the many "what's up" threads on the departed Duolingo forum. I'm sure it will be a great venue to post about streaks and such. :roll: Nonetheless, it seems to me that it is pretty much useless when it comes to sharing and looking for actual language resources.

I will dare to make a prediction: anyone who went to Discord hoping that it would be a viable language learning place, will soon migrate here to Duome. While those who are lonely, and are looking for an opportunity to chat with someone on random topics (in English only), will stay on Discord.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

dakanga wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:16 pm

I need everyone to know, there are so many fantastic and wonderful Duolingo mods and also contributors, that have done enormous work behind the scenes. Also, we have quite a few of them that are also now part of this community.

DaKanga, I'm not going to disagree.. there were great mods, and I know off hand the names of several who put in a lot of work. Many I defended publicly on the Duo forum when I thought they needed a hand. :) Those mods I will miss seeing around. But I don't know where many of the rest are. Like I said, if they're here, then many might be using new usernames. If any users are incognito now, that's their choice, and they don't owe it to anyone to let on who they once went by. It was just an observation.

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

I attempted to go to Discord only to discover that being in China I can't join. It requires you to input a phone number to get a code to verify you have joined and it won't use a phone number in a foreign country. At least that was my experience.

I joined here b/c I recognized some of the names and it felt like this would be a safe place to land. I don't use the forums much but I did find them useful at times.

I hope we can become a positive and welcoming place. I like that no one can down vote people that was always something that bothered me on DL. I wish the best to all of the mods who have been working so hard to save what they can of the past and I hope we can create more tools for the future.

lrai
what's your legacy
Image 🇨🇳 🇷🇺 Learning Yiddish, Chinese, Russian

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

Ha, ha, ha, ha!

No.

I still think it's a PR spin and white wash. Good luck to them. Maybe something good will come of it.

Image L5

HikingHeather

Post by HikingHeather »

I'll probably give it a try. I don't use discord much except for when gaming. I'm terrible at navigating it. I didn't mind most of the moderation team, IMO some of them were a little too soft if anything, but I suppose a mod has to be diplomatic, which is why I would never want to be a mod.

🇪🇸

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

justheaven wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:33 pm
HeyMarlana wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:31 pm

3) (This is merely an assumption) The Discord forum is supposedly operated by "the amazing Duo mods" because of...pride. Am I wrong? If I am, then why aren't most of them on either of these two forums, that most people went to? Odd, since Discord links were often downvoted and posts deleted about them concerning safety? Talk about chatting-galore with minors!--something that Duolingo worked hard at preventing.

This is a very good point and I had the same thought when I saw that they are promoting Discord (of all the other much much better alternatives). Basically everything the Duolingo forums stood against is now being the forum replacement?! It makes no sense, it's ridiculous. And most of all it's not suited for language learning purposes. But I have a feeling that's not the priority there anymore.

And another thing. The effort users had to make to share links to this forum and L&L (to the point that you were banned) only to inform more people that there are other alternatives for language learners. If you like Discord, that's great, use it! But what if you enjoy the structure of a forum? It looks like no Mod ever wanted to put any links to those in any of the announcement posts (for some reason). It was the least they could do, so we - the regular users - didn't have to struggle with both saving and archiving countless posts AND informing folks that they have other great forum options.

Well, I wondered about that too, but I think it's all liabilities as Kevin did say it was good to post links about the other forums in his announcement. I did make a post about whether I could advocate Duome. Apparently it was okay as long as I didn't put it in every post I made. I avoided this sometimes by just using the name and not the link. I wondered if Duolingo has some sort of link tracker, probably some sort of sticky fingers on the report button more like it, as spam posts didn't seem to get shadowbanned like that. We lost another wonderful friend who isn't even here as far as I am aware for advocating this site. They were just altruistic. I hope they were aware of the risks. :cry:

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

dakanga wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:45 pm

It is also why I am sad they (whoever they are) have chosen to go to static word press presentation of language learning information to save the learning resources.

There is limited interaction possible I understand. It is more like publishing a book, with limited ability for learners to interact.

They are doing this with strict ethics and respect to those that shared information. But they are stifling the learning environment and participation.

I am glad they are doing what they can to save information. And hopefully that we, in this growing and interactive community will be able to link to the resources they have managed to save/are saving.

From being on a writer's club I understand anything you write is automatically copyrighted to you unless you specify otherwise.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

That one toothed blue-bat scared me off! Nope, not going there. Don't do discord.,

CaitNicRun
United States of America

Post by CaitNicRun »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:08 am
dakanga wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:45 pm

From being on a writer's club I understand anything you write is automatically copyrighted to you unless you specify otherwise.

Yes, generally, unless you've agreed to some other terms. It's hard to defend tho if you publish anonymously online; hard but not impossible.

Image L5

HikingHeather

Post by HikingHeather »

justheaven wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:33 pm

And most of all it's not suited for language learning purposes. But I have a feeling that's not the priority there anymore.

I don't know, I just took a saunter over there and I found it could have it's own purpose that is useful for me in language learning. I found a spanish chat channel on the Duolingo server to practice communicating in spanish in real time. There was also a spanish discussion channel, which I think was more for discussing anything spanish learning related, but I don't know how well I will like that functionality on Discord. Time will tell. I don't think it will ever serve the same function as the Duolingo forum, but I think the Duome forum will work at least a little better for that. Everything has its use and I'm not really loyal to any single one of them.

🇪🇸

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

And I with you - I hope for and will strive for these things.

It is wonderful to have you here lrai.

Please ask questions.

Please, make yourself at home.

And I look forward to seeing you here in these forums.

Lerura
Denmark

Post by Lerura »

As I was already on Discord, I joined Duolingo too, but Discord isn't fit for the kind of forum that is needed here.

The only thing the Discord Channel is useful for is to tell users about these forums on Duome.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

CaitNicRun wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:25 am

Yes, generally, unless you've agreed to some other terms. It's hard to defend tho if you publish anonymously online; hard but not impossible.

On all the posts I've copied and pasted here to archive I've put a note saying to contact me if you don't want your post here. For the links to archive.ph without text pasted here I haven't bothered as I feel that's just like linking to Duolingo anyway.

I believe education is one of the fair uses of copyrighted material as long as you don't overdo it. Archiving chit-chat may be more of a problem.

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Random Thoughts”