Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] 7 ways to get more out of your Duolingo course

Subforums: Achievements · Random Thoughts · Discussions
I'm learning... select your target language from this list

Moderators: Jacko079, Basler Biker

Jacko079
United States of America

[ARCHIVE] 7 ways to get more out of your Duolingo course

Post by Jacko079 »

This was originally posted by SuddenFlameDB4

https://archive.ph/L9nIR

It can be tempting to just click through a Duolingo lesson in order to finish the skill, without learning as much as you could. Since the ultimate reason we are on Duolingo is to learn, here are 7 ways you can learn more from each lesson:

Say every sentence out loud. This helps with pronunciation.

Take notes of new vocabulary. Writing down the words will help it stick in your memory more.

Pick a few sentences from each lesson and "diagram" them. Write them down and label the different parts of the sentence. (Noun, verb, direct object, preposition) and identify what each part plays in the sentence structure of that language.

Formulate a response in your target language to each of the sentences in the course. This gives you practice constructing your own sentences. Sentence: Me gusta el chocolate. You could say: ¡Genial! ¡Yo también!

Close your eyes when listening to your target language and see if you can decode the meaning without the text. This helps with listening comprehension.

On the multiple choice questions, don't just click the correct answer and then move on. Try your hand at translating the other two incorrect answers. They won't always have correct grammar, they will likely be nonsensical, and Duo might even use grammar and vocab you haven't learned yet, but it's a good challenge nonetheless.

After each lesson, write down every phrase/vocab/grammar rule you can remember from it.
These are tips that I have found helpful, I hope you find them helpful as well. Also, share your tips down below! I would love to hear what works for you.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Cifi

Re: (Archive) 7 ways to get more out of your Duolingo course

Post by Cifi »

Ojo, as far as I know the Spanish answer to "Me gusta el chocolate." rather should be "¡Genial! ¡A mí también!" instead of "¡Yo también!", shouldn't it? Which actually may show some kind of drawback of this recommendation, because there aren't any corrections.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Return to “I speak English”