Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

1000th Day & 3 Year Duoversary

HeyMarlana
Canada

1000th Day & 3 Year Duoversary

Post by HeyMarlana »

March 19, 2019 was the day I began Duolingo and started my streak. :) It just so happened with the way my streak freezes were used that today, March 19, 2022 is not just my 3-year Duoversary but also my 1000th Day streak. After today, I will be letting the streak lapse.

The last time I posted about a streak, it was when I reached one year on Duolingo to give my thoughts about how things went.

So much has happened in three years, and with commitment, I know much more is still yet to come.

In three years, I have been able to accomplish many things such as:

• Speaking to my elderly granny and great-uncle, who are native Ukrainian speakers
  • Speaking to native speakers online
  • Reading materials online and in hardcopy texts in Cyrillic
  • Taken on a language project, that became a complete brand
  • Completed language challenges
  • Engaging with three tutors from Ukraine
  • Speaking with native speakers at a church
  • Being part of a classroom setting as an intermediate student

I want to say that I am not fluent. Where I sit is at a comfortable A2 level for sure, but in some cases, on some good days, I might even be considered B1. I can listen to Ukrainian programs on the radio and while I might not get the complete context of a sentence, I will get the gist of the meaning. I listen to Ukrainian radio daily, so I'm still training my ear to listen to the language at a normal pace.

A streak is one thing, but dedication to think outside the box and learn and to do it daily is key to keeping things fresh and to keep your skills strong. I did not rely on Duolingo. There were many projects and sources outside Duolingo that helped. With a language like Ukrainian, I had to continue looking for new ways to learn, that weren't so easy compared to people learning other languages like Spanish or French. If it can be done for me, it can easily be done for others.

1000 Days and 3 Years isn't where it ends. I will continue to learn and improve my skills, but I will not be doing it on Duolingo steadily anymore to keep a streak. The date on the calendar is what matters most to me, and what I achieve each day is going to make it stronger.

Thanks for letting me share this space to tell you about my experience. I wish you all good luck with your own studies!
Слава Україі

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

IceVajal
Germany

Re: 1000th Day & 3 Year Duoversary

Post by IceVajal »

Congratulations! More to what you accomplished than the streak - even if it really is an achievement!

Keep up learning! Enjoy every step on your way of language learning!

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

HeyMarlana wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:40 pm

1000 Days and 3 Years isn't where it ends. I will continue to learn and improve my skills, but I will not be doing it on Duolingo steadily anymore to keep a streak.

Congratulation. I think this a normal developement. The more you dig in to a language the less attrative is it to keep learning on Duolingo (for this language). You are doing already a great chunk of your language learning activity outside of Duolingo and now you will grow out and leave the nest, :D

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

Deleted User 133

Congratulations!

Post by Deleted User 133 »

First, let me double congratulate you on your outstanding achievements. And, boy, what are the odds of your 3rd duoversary coinciding with your 1000th day on Duoling!

That, however, begs the question: do strike freezes not count the days that they save? Well, your 2-in-1 achievement clearly confirms this, yet my question is in part rhetorical to make it obvious to other readers who may not have known; I didn't know before now either.

You mentioned that you did post about your 1st duoversary before. Do you still have access to that topic to quote in here? I would like to have an idea and make a comparison between the two milestones. I am still in my first year, and I am far away from accomplishing the achievements you listed above, in my case in German.

Speaking of milestones, there was this topic this morning of a user inquiring about the 1000th-day milestone. Maybe you could give your insight on this matter? Check it:

hecate4stuff wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:27 am

Not sure which forum here I should post this to, so forgive me if this is the wrong place. After a 952 day streak, I had a question this morning about milestone test-outs but with the forums going away In another day, I fear I won't get an answer in time. Is there a place here where we will be able to post basic duolingo questions as opposed to language specific things? I'm really looking forward to these forums being a friendly and supportive place for us duolingo refugees! ;)

Overall, it's nice to read about the experiences of other language learners, especially the inspiring ones. They kinda have that effect of renewing the motivation in one's self after some time.

Congratulations again and keep pushing forward.

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

[mention]HeyMarlana[/mention] ,

I ever read your posts on Duolingo with interesting. I still know your speaking challenge on Youtube and it has inspired me. It is also my experience, that I have to look everywhere to find many other possibilities to manage my learning and go further to my goal.

I wish you luck on your way and I am glad, that we are still in contact.

HeyMarlana
Canada

Re: Congratulations!

Post by HeyMarlana »

Alivated wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:19 pm

You mentioned that you did post about your 1st duoversary before. Do you still have access to that topic to quote in here? I would like to have an idea and make a comparison between the two milestones. I am still in my first year, and I am far away from accomplishing the achievements you listed above, in my case in German.

No, sorry. All my topics are either gone, or are hidden now due to my shadowban, which happened around February 9th or so. However, I did find the topic, and I will copy/paste the content here. This was the link for it, but I don't think anyone can see it now: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/3738 ... f-Duolingo

Looking back, I think what I remember is that I began the actual account on March 19th, worked on it, broke my streak within a day, but carried on with my existing streak on March 21st, 2019. But it doesn't change the fact that today is still my Duoversary. :) Yes, freezes will take away the days on the calendar. So each time you use one streak freeze, one day is added to the calendar. At the time of my 1-Year I had used ten freezes which put my 365th Day on March 30th, 2020. Here's the topic about my 1 Year:

My One Year of Duolingo
HeyMarlana, March 30, 2020

It's hard to believe that I just achieved my 365-day streak. After one year, I have experienced more than I thought I would with my target language course, but here is the breakdown:

On March 21, 2019 I began the streak (using about 10 Freezes is the reason why today - March 30, 2020 is my 365th day). I knew practically no Ukrainian. I could not read the Cyrillic alphabet whatsoever. Shortly thereafter, the alphabet and simple phrases made it easy to go into the next lessons.

In April, I started a language-diary, writing only in Ukrainian. Soon after, I began recording myself reading to hear back how I sound. I began reading my Ukrainian/English dictionary to learn words that pertained to my life, interests, and needs.

In May, I visited my elderly grandmother in her nursing home who has dementia. She is a native-Ukrainian-speaker, and my two-month's worth of Ukrainian was finally used on one of my relatives. A dream come true. A topic I made about it is here.

In June, I was not yet encrypted on Duome, and found out that you need to obtain a 100-day streak to first appear. After that, you can drop your streak if you so choose. I made a request to Duolingo to add me despite not yet having 100 days, and they did. There was a glitch with updating, but after the 100 days, I was able to see my progress compared to other Ukrainian learners.

In July, I attended a Ukrainian Orthodox church solely for experiencing interaction with others who speak Ukrainian. I was pleased to know I could pull out different words and phrases from the service, and afterward enjoy a coffee with others. (Surprisingly, my Ukrainian was better than most of the people there.)

In August, I took on Russian and the English-from-Ukrainian as support courses in Duolingo, and improved more of what I was learning.

In September, October, November... I hit a bad plateau of severe boredom with it all. I still maintained 10XP per day for a streak, but my streak-freezes were used mainly during this time. My learning suffered. When I went back to mend decaying courses, I was starting to forget things.

In December I found two great tutors on iTalki and for the first time, went into real-time conversation with two Ukrainians via Skype and realized I could still have simple conversations. All was not lost. I did this twice per week for a month to rev up my old skills again. My topic about the experience is here.

In January 2020 I got back onto Duolingo to focus on the English-from-Ukrainian which seemed to be the challenge I needed. I purchased a Ukrainian-language calendar which I look at every day to remind me what day and month it is constantly.

In February I began faithfully watching a Ukrainian TV-news/magazine program that comes on twice per week. Though I can't understand the fast-paced speaking, I can get the gist of the news, and pull out many words and phrases throughout the show -- something I could have NEVER done one year ago.

March 2020: Completing practice courses in Ukrainian in about a minute each time. Basic words and phrases can come naturally to me instead of having to force myself to think of what and how to say things. I am not fluent, but I am happy with how one year has given me the tools to naturally speak in a basic/conversational way.

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

![](

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

It's quite an achievement for you. Ukraine isn't an easy language to learn and has a different writing system. But you had lineage on your side. I think that helps somehow when it's in your blood. Congratulations on your journey!

I am just now settling into Duome to start answering people really. With all the rush to get stuff off Duolingo, couldn't focus on this.

Great streak!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

Thank you, Corinnebelle! Yes, I had somewhat of a headstart having heard the language throughout the years. I wish I had done this ages ago! :)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

HeyMarlana wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:33 pm

Thank you, Corinnebelle! Yes, I had somewhat of a headstart having heard the language throughout the years. I wish I had done this ages ago! :)

Better late than never! :)

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

bookrabbit
Great Britain

Post by bookrabbit »

Congratulations:) Congratulations:)

double for the double:)

I am coming up on my 1000 day streak too although I have been around much longer as I will have my 8th duoversary in May. But I got ticked off with the owl when he introduced daily goals and lost my original streak deliberately at somewhere around 500 and progressed in bursts of 100 days at a time for several years before accidentally keeping it for this long. Where does the time go?

I recently got my Ukrainian tree to level 5 but although I understand it well I can't speak it because Russian is too strong in my head to let Ukrainian reach my mouth. It is quite difficult to separate similar languages. I have the same trouble with the Scandinavian ones. Only there none of them dominate so I can't speak any of them. The best I could do would be a jumble of words from each of them. But I can understand any of them which is actually the most important thing for me anyway.

Language Hopper
maybe if I learn enough languages I will be able to understand people

Mary_La_MaguitaUwU
Chile

Post by Mary_La_MaguitaUwU »

That is awesome! A few days ago I reached 365 days, but your streak is incomparable! My best wishes, keep it up! :)

MARYImage
Tricks to gain a lot of exp in Duo 👉 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgSzUgWE7fA

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

Update: I had reached the 1000th day, purchased some streak freezes to enjoy admiring it for about a week, then let the streak lapse. I'm also going to give up the account on Duolingo. I require engaging with others in the sentence discussions in order to help with my learning and to help others, and can't do it with my existing account because of its circumstances. If I do come back to learning again, I won't be caring about a streak and I'll be using a different account. Been fun on Duolingo while it lasted, but time to move on.

I'm using other means to push myself, and I'm more active with this forum and my other one. (Today we celebrate our 500th day!) Three years and a thousand days was a good run, but I'm on to the next chapter of my language journey now. :)

Thanks everyone, for your kind words!

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

[mention]HeyMarlana[/mention] Congratulations on your 3 year milestone of learning ! That’s quite an accomplishment ! :)

memer21928

Post by memer21928 »

Congrats!

Dovili22
United States of America

Post by Dovili22 »

Congratulations This is a really interesting journey. Exemplary

D o r a

Return to “Achievements”