Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Greek Lesson 8

Deleted User 114

[ARCHIVE] Greek Lesson 8

Post by Deleted User 114 »

This was originally posted by panagiotis_ts

https://archive.ph/CefBB

Hello everyone! This is the eighth lesson of my series of Greek lessons. Here you'll learn the plural of the nouns in Greek. Remember that I don't write how words are pronounced, because you' ve already learnt it in the first lesson. To understand the grammar of the lesson you must know the Greek articles.

Plural of nouns in Greek

As you already know, there are three genders in Greek. The plural of a noun depends on its gender and its ending. To make learning easier, I'll try to group the nouns in groups depending on their gender and ending, and then I'll write the ending that they take to form the plural form of the nominative case. So, let's start! :D

• Male nouns ending in -ης become -ες in plural --> ο ποιητής = the (male) poet becomes οι ποιητές= the (male) poets

--> ο επιβάτης = the (male) passenger becomes οι επιβάτες = the (male) passengers

--> ο μαθητής = the (male) student becomes οι μαθητές = the (male) students

• Male nouns ending in -ος become -οι in plural --> ο βάτραχος= the frog becomes οι βάτραχοι = the frogs

--> ο χρόνος = the time, the year becomes οι χρόνοι = the times/the years

--> ο δρόμος= the road, the street becomes οι δρόμοι = the roads/the streets

• Feminine nouns ending in -α become -ες in plural --> η γάτα = the (female) cat becomes οι γάτες = the (female) cats

--> η εικόνα = the picture becomes οι εικόνες = the pictures

--> η καρδιά = the heart becomes οι καρδιές = the hearts

• Neuter nouns ending in -ο become -α in plural --> το αεροπλάνο = the plane becomes τα αεροπλάνα = the planes

--> το ζώο = the animal becomes τα ζώα = the animals

--> το χρυσόψαρο = the goldfish becomes τα χρυσόψαρα = the goldfish

• Neuter nouns ending in -ι become -ια in plural --> το σπίτι = the house, the home becomes τα σπίτια = the houses/the homes

--> το νησί = the island becomes τα νησιά = the islands

--> το καλοκαίρι = the summer becomes τα καλοκαίρια = the summers

Χαιρετίσματα από τη Θεσσαλονίκη, Παναγιώτης :)

Return to “Greek”