Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Greek Lesson 5

Deleted User 114

[ARCHIVE] Greek Lesson 5

Post by Deleted User 114 »

This was originally posted by panagiotis_ts

https://archive.ph/VBBWN

Hello everybody!!! This is the fifth Greek lesson of my series of Greek lessons (see the link for the Greek discussions directory in the end of the lesson). Remember that I don't write how words are pronounced because you've already learnt it in Greek Lesson 1 .

In this lesson you'll learn food words and articles (definitive and indefinitive in nominative case). Here's the vocabulary :

το φαγητό = the food
το γάλα = the milk
το γιαούρτι = the yoghurt
το βούτυρο = the butter
το τυρί = the cheese
το ρύζι = the rice
τα ζυμαρικά = the pasta
τα μακαρόνια = the spaghetti
το ψωμί = the bread
το κρέας = the meat
το κοτόπουλο = the chicken
το λουκάνικο = the sausage
το ψάρι = the fish
τα λαχανικά = the vegetables
η σαλάτα = the salad
η ντομάτα = the tomato (you can also hear it as τομάτα, but the most often is ντομάτα)
το αγγούρι = the cucumber
το καρότο = the carrot
το λάχανο = the cabbage
τα φρούτα = the fruit (plural, the singular form is το φρούτο)
η μπανάνα = the banana
το καρπούζι = the watermelon
το μήλο = the apple
το ροδάκινο = the peach
η φράουλα = the strawberry
το πορτοκάλι = the orange
το κεράσι = the cherry
το μέλι = the honey
η μαρμελάδα = the jam
η σοκολάτα = the chocolate
το παγωτό = the ice cream
το γλυκό = the gâteau (it is actually the neuter form of the adjective γλυκός-γλυκιά-γλυκό which mans sweet, but it is used as a noun too)
η τούρτα = the cake* (see below)
το κέικ = the cake* (see below)
το αλάτι = the salt
το πιπέρι = the pepper
το νερό = the water
το κρασί = the wine
η μπύρα = the beer
ο χυμός = the juice
ο καφές = the coffee
το τσάι = the tea
η (ζεστή/κρύα) σοκολάτα = the (hot/cold) chocolate
το γεύμα = the meal
το πρωινό = the breakfast
το μεσημεριανό = the lunch
το βραδινό = the dinner
το δείπνο= the dinner (syn.)

And now the difference between το κέικ and η τούρτα!!! I can't explain it, so let's let the pictures talk!!!

κέικ

Duo

τούρτα

Duo

So, this was the vocabulary. :) Also, don't forget to see the discussion with traditional Greek food, that I'll upload later!!!! :)

Now, let's see the grammar.

Well, in Greek there are two kinds of articles : the definitive and the indefinitive. The definitive article is used to talk about things that we know, for example if you say "the apple", it means that you know for which apple you are talking, while if you say "an apple", it means that you are talking about apples in general, or about an apple but you don't know which one. In a text, you can use the indefinitive article and then, after having already mentioned the object/person that goes with the article, then you can change it to the definitive article. For example you can say "a thief broke into my house by the window", and then change a to the if you continue, for example "the thief stole....".

Now, let's see these articles in Greek.

First the definitive article ο, η, το (=the). Ο is for masculin words, η is for feminin words and το is for neuter words. In plural, they become οι, οι, τα. Οι is the plural for both ο and η, while τα is the plural form of το.

Then the indefinitive article ένας, μία, ένα (=a/an). Ένας is for masculin words, μία (or μια) is for feminin words, while ένα is for neuter words. The indefinitive article has no plural!!!

Now that you know the articles, you can guess the genders of the words above!

Χαιρετίσματα από τη Θεσσαλονίκη, Παναγιώτης :)

Return to “Greek”