Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVED] Learn Morse Code

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVED] Learn Morse Code

Post by Corinnebelle »

Apahegy wrote:

With the recent double-release of Danish and Irish, I present to you, Morse Code.

The first thing you should now about Morse Code, is that it is not a language. Most people will probably already know that. Rather, it is an alternative way of using certain languages.

Morse Code, in its most basic sense, is composed of dots and dashes, when written. For example, "Morse Code" is: -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

Dots are read as "di" at the beginning of a word, and "dit" at the end of the word, while dashes are read as "dah" at all times. So "Morse Code" in Morse Code is read as "dah-dah dah-dah-dah di-dah-dit di-di-dit dit. Dah-di-dah-dit dah-dah-dah dah-di-dit dit."

The slash represents a space, where one word ends and a new word starts. These dots and dashes can be used in many ways. If you have a light source, like a flashlight, or car lights, you can turn on your brights and hold them for a few seconds, or you can simply turn them on and off really quickly. If you have a sound source, you can do short beeps and long beeps. What inspired me to learn Morse Code, was a spy show where a woman who was kidnapped BLINKED Morse Code over a video to send a message. If you know Morse Code, you can be very creative with it.

Proper use of Morse Code requires dashes to be approximately three times the length of a dot, and breaks between words to be three times as long as breaks between letters.

Once you know the dot-dash combination for each character, you can begin to use Morse Code. I now present you with every code I know:

A: .-

B: -...

C: -.-.

D: -..

E: .

F: ..-.

G: --.

H: ....

I: ..

J: .---

K: -.-

L: .-..

M: --

N: -.

O: ---

P: .--.

Q: --.-

R: .-.

S: ...

T: -

U: ..-

V: ...-

W: .--

X: -..-

Y: -.--

Z: --..

Ä: .-.-

Á: .--.-

Å: .--.- (This code is the same as the one for Á)

CH: ----

É: ..-..

Ñ: --.--

Ö: ---.

Ü: ..--

0: -----

1: .----

2: ..---

3: ...--

4: ....-

5: .....

6: -....

7: --...

8: ---..

9: ----.

Full Stop (Period.): .-.-.-

Comma,: --..--

Colon: ---...

Question Mark?: ..--..

Apostrophe': .----.

Hyphen-: -....-

Slash/: -..-.

(Parenthesis): -.--.-

"Quotation Marks": .-..-.

"At" sign, @: .--.-.

"Equals" sign, =: -...-

Once you learn the code for each letter, you begin to use Morse Code in any language you want, as long as that language uses the Latin alphabet. Here is an example: ..-. --- ..- .-. / .. ... / ....- / .-.-.-

Can you figure that out? It says, "Four is 4." Here are some more to practice with:

-.. ..- --- .-.. .. -. --. --- / .. ... / --. .-. . .- - / -.-.--

-.. ..- --- .-.. .. -. --. --- / .. ... - / - --- .-.. .-.. / .-.---

-.. ..- --- .-.. .. -. --. --- / . ... / -... ..- . -. --- / -.-.--

-- .- --. -.-- .- .-. --- .-. ... --.. .--.- --. / -. .- --. -.-- / ...- .- -. / -.-.--

These codes really are not that hard to remember, and once you start reading a message, it becomes very predictable. You will recognize words once you have decoded half of it, and you will predict sentences being only a few words in.

.. / .... --- .--. . / -.-- --- ..- / . -. .--- --- -.-- / .-.-.-

Archive of comments

If you don't want your post on here, please contact me immediately to have it removed.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Meli578588
Italy

Re: [ARCHIVED] Learn Morse Code

Post by Meli578588 »

I love Morse Code. I always wanted to learn this ! Thank you for printing this out.

🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] You're welcome! Are you reading everywhere?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Corinnebelle wrote:

If you know Morse Code, you can be very creative with it.

Funny story: when I was in highschool some of my classmates and I learned Morse code to communicate with each others. Unfortunately the teacher noticed our little mischief and grounded us for a couple of days. That click clack in the middle of class wasn't very subtle :oops:

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I’m trying to learn it.

I have have always been interested in it.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] Well I just archived it. Apahegy wrote it. I am glad you are finding some interesting stuff on here.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Explorer[/mention] Haha! I heard a story about a telegraph station operators kids out in the boonies. Their mum died and so they were a little wild. After that the man got a governess to educate his children. At the table instead of talking they would pick up their spoons and tap out morse code to each other! Can you image the racket? Needless to say she was not impressed. She civilized them!

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Is the exclamation mark! : -.-.--
I found it in the sentences but not in the code book.

The sign .-.--- occurs only once at the end of a sentence.
Can't figure out what sign is meant.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Isn't there an SOS code in Morse code? Do they have Morse code for non-Latin languages?

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:31 pm

Isn't there an SOS code in Morse code? Do they have Morse code for non-Latin languages?

Yes, "... --- ..." is "SOS" in Morse code.

In the Czech republic (we speak Czech language and use Latin alphabet), Morse code is taught in the Scout (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Org ... t_Movement ) and similar organizations focused on development of physical abilities and skills needed for survival in wild nature. I learned Morse code as a child too. We have a list of Czech words assigned to the alphabet letters to help us remembering their correct composition (dots and dashes in each letter): https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morseova_abeceda . It would be nice to have such lists in different languages. ;-)

I do not know, how it is with languages not using Latin alphabet in general, but Russian and Ukrainian children knew Morse code back then too: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Азбука_Морзе

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Why "archived?"

There is another thread with the same subject, but without the tag, "archived."

*** edited

No. The other thread was an exercise… but it does include a first post with the Morse code.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@gmads Yes, the post shows the alphabet. I copied it from here. Part of the reason I included a lot of different letters is so people could write hello in different languages if they wanted to.

What should the next exercise be? Do you think anyone else wants to learn?

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:19 am

What should the next exercise be?

Maybe… write your username in MC? :lol:

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Return to “Languages not yet covered...”