Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Possibly a problem for new users in the language subforums

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

g-heike
Germany

Possibly a problem for new users in the language subforums

Post by g-heike »

At the moment the Duome forum looks from the bird's eye view as if data from the Duolingo forum is saved here with priority.

For new users it might be a bit irritating and therefore a hurdle to open an own topic in the language subforums.

In the subforum for the German language from English, I have set an info thread viewtopic.php?t=2522, possibly one can handle it for other subforums likewise, so that new users dare to post their request.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

MatOzone
Catalonia

Re: Possibly a problem for new users in the language subforums

Post by MatOzone »

It's a matter of time :) When there are "german from english" moderators, they will possibly create subforums (Language / Culture and Society / Resources / Practice) and move posts. Thank you for participate!

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

We have [mention]pawndemic[/mention] forum moderator for EN/FR/IT/ES from Deutsch, but noone yet for "German from English"
Awaiting that, if [mention]g-heike[/mention] could write a "Welcome - Willkommen" topic, and give me the titles of some sub-forums, to attract people and start their own topic there, then I'll create those.
In the Welcome page, which will be sticky, do explain what the purpose (read expected topics) is for each subforum.
Or you can make a sticky welcome in every subforum...

What I did for "Swedish from English" (and we'll see later if that was a good idea or not) is have a lot of topics in Swedish (the "learning" language), with hints (in italics) in the "from" language. So people understand what it's all about, and find their way, but at the same time they are immerged in the target language from the start (the very beginners, I mean)

But if you look at other forums, each one is a bit different in the setup.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

I hope I understand you right. I now have written this in the Sub forum German from English: viewtopic.php?t=2525

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

g-heike wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:34 pm

I hope I understand you right. I now have written this in the Sub forum German from English: viewtopic.php?t=2525

OK. I see. you're very DL minded still. ;-) We should also be open to non-DL visitors, when they come here.

You also better stick to the forum terminology used in this phpBB technology. So it matches the labels on buttons etc.

So any higher structure is forums, subforums.
What you name a thread is here a Topic.
Any Topic has its first Post with the same Title
All replies to the topic, are "RE: ..." posts in the same topic.
Posts within a topic can be sorted according to UCP personal preference settings.
Most people will have "most recent on top"

Next, to get rid of this initial display with LTS archives, let's

• make an DL Archive subforum
  • move all LTS topics to the archive
  • make a subforum "DL Sentence discussion" ... question remains whether DL users will switch from DL to duome for Q&A
    (who will be answering the German sentence questions on DL ??) is it still you?
  • make your welcome topic sticky
    (be sure to re-edit for the terminology)

Let me know how you see or want it.

BTW - after your very nice departure post on DL, all in English, there is no more need to use DeepL, is there ? ;-)

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

I quote myself for some more comments

What I did for "Swedish from English" (and we'll see later if that was a good idea or not) is have a lot of topics in Swedish (the "learning" language), with hints (in italics) in the "from" language. So people understand what it's all about, and find their way, but at the same time they are immerged in the target language from the start (the very beginners, I mean)

[mention]g-heike[/mention] for "German from English" that could mean that you do a maximum of explanations just in your native German, with extra annotations in English (to clarify things for beginners who are supposed to understand English :-) )
It's just an idea, ... it would be easier for you, and there would be more material to be learned by German learners... ;-)

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Basler Biker wrote:

I'm not sure if I undestand you. But I prefer each mods making the subforums in their "domains"... Probably the "catalan from spanish" will not need subforums, and instead "spanish from english" will sure need them...

I see "lots of subforums" in Swedish from English, and that's ok because you are the mod there. But personally I prefer "a few" subforums, like the four ones in Arabic and others.

But each mod chooses what subforums are needed, in my opinion.

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Okay, Biker, I correct my post tomorrow, ups it is 1 o'clock in the morning, I mean on the daytime today.

When I want to write my Post, Answer, Re, in a non misunderstandable and precise way, I am glad to have the translator. But I write more and more free. Rule of thumb: The more my post is mostly correct, it is the translator, the more my posts have mistakes, It is me :-).

To your points:

• Archive is good
  • Setence-Discussion: I don't know if we need this, I think the more the forum is structured, the more it irritates, but other can think it is good.
  • you can my post sticky when I have corrected it.
g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

Basler Biker wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:04 am

I quote myself for some more comments

@g-heike for "German from English" that could mean that you do a maximum of explanations just in your native German, with extra annotations in English (to clarify things for beginners who are supposed to understand English :-) )
It's just an idea, ... it would be easier for you, and there would be more material to be learned by German learners... ;-)

Okay, I will try it.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

MatOzone wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:08 am
Basler Biker wrote:

I'm not sure if I undestand you. But I prefer each mods making the subforums in their "domains"... Probably the "catalan from spanish" will not need subforums, and instead "spanish from english" will sure need them...

I see "lots of subforums" in Swedish from English, and that's ok because you are the mod there. But personally I prefer "a few" subforums, like the four ones in Arabic and others.

But each mod chooses what subforums are needed, in my opinion.

The point is that [mention]g-heike[/mention] is not the mod to make the subforums structure there...and the many [LTS] posts from DaKanga make people think (so g-heike assumes) that they can't post themselves in that "archive folder"...

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Basler Biker wrote:

The point is that @g-heike is not the mod to make the subforums structure there...and the many [LTS] posts from DaKanga make people think (so g-heike assumes) that they can't post themselves in that "archive folder"...

While there are no mods there, we can create the four subforums like "arabic", "spanish", "japanese". When there are moderators, they will change it as they want . 👍

And... where do "LTS archive posts" go? Language? Practice? Resources?

I fully support 🇺🇦!

g-heike
Germany

Post by g-heike »

So, I have corrected my Topic-Welcome-Post in the German Subforum viewtopic.php?p=7283#p7283

If you want, you can set this as a sticky!

Thank you!

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

g-heike wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:37 pm

So, I have corrected my Topic-Welcome-Post in the German Subforum viewtopic.php?p=7283#p7283

If you want, you can set this as a sticky!

Thank you!

Very kind of you to use such BIG letters, so I can read without my magnifying glass ;-)
The 2 non archive topics are now sticky. One welcome (heart icon) and one "info" type.

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

MatOzone wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:05 am

While there are no mods there, we can create the four subforums like "arabic", "spanish", "japanese". When there are moderators, they will change it as they want . 👍

Please can German subforums be created a.s.a.p.; I would suggest having the four standard subforums and then creating a sub-subforum within Resources to house all the LTS material, but perhaps the moderators of the Spanish forum are planning a better solution for their own stories. I am a German learner but won't be posting to the German forum until it is better structured.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I consider stories as a way to practice listening and reading comprehension, so I put them in the practice subforum.

Take a look here: Inglés desde español and Spanish from English.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 |

Deleted User 133

Post by Deleted User 133 »

I've been thinking about that too. The number of the archived topics will be limited as the archiving process is bound to end at some point. Creating a subforum for that would be inadequate: imagine a whole subforum for only 10 topics (depending on the language, but still). I suggest that they be included in the Resources section with the addition of [ARCHIVED] (or [ARCHIVE]?) as the first word/tag of their respective titles. Thoughts?

Return to “Requests new Duome features”