Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

No Streak Freeze record not showing

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

MidgardMimir
India

No Streak Freeze record not showing

Post by MidgardMimir »

Hi team,

My Duolingo username is MidgardMimir. I have completed a 107-day streak without using a streak freeze, but my username is not showing up in the records list (https://duome.eu/freeze -> No Streak Freeze). Please let me know if this is an error with my account, and if there is anything I need to do to correct it. Thanks a ton for your help!!

Cheers,

MidgardMimir
India

Re: No Streak Freeze record not showing

Post by MidgardMimir »

Hi team,

Any feedback on this issue? My no-streak-freeze streak is still active, but I am unable to see my name in the record list.

Cheers,

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

I see that you first posted this post on March 16, so what is your current streak number now?

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

I am not in that list either. I have a streak of 387 days without using a streak freeze, however in December last year DL unexpectedly gave me a streak freeze to bank. I wonder whether I dropped off the list because of that.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

I do know from experience that you first must complete your first 100 days' streak in order for the system to recognize your Duome profile. That being said, it's also a matter of time before Duome is updated. For example, when I hit my 1000th day, I wanted to take a screengrab on my Duome profile but found it was still sitting on 995, and was last updated five days earlier.

After you've got your first 100 days' streak you are then recognized on the system to continue updating. As Jacko has asked, it would be good to know if you've maintained the streak after your post, and if it has worked itself out. Otherwise you can also contact Duome directly to request that your information be pushed.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

duome

Post by duome »

01tmJ8kb wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:28 pm

I am not in that list either. I have a streak of 387 days without using a streak freeze, however in December last year DL unexpectedly gave me a streak freeze to bank. I wonder whether I dropped off the list because of that.

Yes.

If you do have a streak freeze equipped, you will be quoted with a date when you got it equipped and not when you actually used it.

This list is not exactly a "hall of fame" but rather a reminder that you don't have a streak freeze (so, beware!:) or when you had it equipped last time.

MidgardMimir
India

Post by MidgardMimir »

duome wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:19 pm
01tmJ8kb wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:28 pm

Yes.

If you do have a streak freeze equipped, you will be quoted with a date when you got it equipped and not when you actually used it.

This list is not exactly a "hall of fame" but rather a reminder that you don't have a streak freeze (so, beware!:) or when you had it equipped last time.

Thanks a ton for this response. However I don't agree with you saying it's not exactly a "hall of fame" because I feel it absolutely is just that.

I was really, really impressed by the users who are 1000+ days without a streak freeze, because that's a lot of dedication day after day for about 3+ years! It actually motivated me to stay committed to a 100-day no-freeze run, and I felt really proud when I got there.

On the other hand, when I used streak freezes I felt it was okay to go a few days without doing any lessons. I could just buy streak freezes and keep going.

The no-streak-freeze run feels like the real thing! I hope you see my point.

To answer Jacko's question, I completed a 250-day streak on the app today, but the actual streak is 122 days (without freezes). Also, thank you everyone for your responses!

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

I have a streak of just shy of 900 days.
I have used freezes.
Not often - but sometimes.

Looking at the streak calendar* in the Android app, I last used one seven months ago. A total of nine last year, a bit over a month total out of the more than two and a half years.

Does that mean that such a 900 day streak shows no "dedication"?

• - didn't even know this was a thing until recently - it's a nice feature! Click on the streak days to get to it.

:it: (golden tree)
:fr: (80% golden tree)

MidgardMimir
India

Post by MidgardMimir »

Hi Adrian,

I didn't mean to belittle anyone's achievements, and if I have come across as such I sincerely apologize. It's just that the no-streak-freeze run feels more motivating to me personally. That's why I was excited to see a leaderboard showing this stat.

I had a 700+ day streak between 2019-2021, but then there were two months where I was using streak freezes simply to preserve my streak without much language practice (I used about 40 streak freezes in less than 120 days). At that point, I would hardly say I was "preserving my streak" - clearly I was cheating my way around it. My motivation had gone down, and before I finally gave up, my last ten days were all streak freezes.

On the contrary, I have never gone 100 consecutive days without a streak freeze until I found out this no-streak-freeze stat could get tracked. That's why I feel this is a great way to motivate myself every day.

AdrianC602

Post by AdrianC602 »

Don't worry, I don't feel belittled - no need to apologise. Quite the opposite - I was being deliberately provocative, to try and make you think about streaks a little more deeply...

Yes, I currently have a 900-day streak. But I may well lose it in a couple of weeks' time, when I go away for a long weekend. If I don't, it'll only be because of freezes...

I just feel that the whole focus on streaks is actively counter-productive. Life gets in the way sometimes. If there's one thing that the last two years has taught us, it's that unvarying routine can be VERY boring indeed...

If you can't do your streak today, it doesn't matter.
If you want to use a freeze to take a day off, or if you have no choice but to miss a day, it doesn't matter.
If you lose your streak, it doesn't matter.
What does matter is your knowledge in the language you're learning... You won't forget anything if you don't do a lesson or practice or story today. You might do if you leave it a month or three, but not a few days.

Taking a day off can actually be helpful. You don't go to work or school every single day, do you? You'd burn out. So why doesn't that apply to language learning, too?

What is important is the habit of learning, regularly, consistently.

The streak number is one clue of that habit - but when you remember that there are people who will literally log on religiously every day just to practice Basics 1 in order to maintain their streak, and who haven't learned anything in MONTHS... What value does their streak carry?

The streak is a good tool to instil that habit, but no more - it can start to carry almost a religious significance, far beyond its actual weight. We do well to remember that's all it is, and not to let it carry more significance. (Don't even start me on the self-defeating pointlessness of comparing yourself to complete and utter strangers...)

You lose your streak, because Real Life intervenes? No problem. Start to build it again, soon as you can. Don't lose the habit!

My other half likes to take weekends off DL, so uses the amulet. One time, she forgot to buy it, got miffed when she lost her streak, and walked away from DL for months. She eventually came back to it, and spent a while playing catch-up to get the rust off her target language...

:it: (golden tree)
:fr: (80% golden tree)

Return to “Duolingo”