Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] My longest Yiddish story so far; 17 days before the Forums end

Jacko079
United States of America

[ARCHIVE] My longest Yiddish story so far; 17 days before the Forums end

Post by Jacko079 »

This was originally posted by OtAzoy

https://archive.ph/tup3C

As usual, I found a Yiddish sentence in the exercises that called for a story, and so I wrote one.

ס׳איז דאָ אַן אײנהאָרן אין דער הײל!

“There is a unicorn here in the cave!”

Enjoy!

(corrections eagerly accepted)

(translation of story below)

ס׳איז געװען אַ זייער אַ מאָדנע בוך אינעם זײדעס הױז.

די קינדער -- אַ ייִנגל, גוסטאַף, און זײַן ייִנגערער שװעסטערל, גערטרודע -- זענען געקומען באזיכן מיט די טאַטע־מאַמע צו די באָבע־זײדען.

די עלטערן האָבן געזאָגט אַז זײ זאָלן קײן מאָל נישט גײן אַרײַן אינעם זײדעס ביבליאָטעק, אָבער דאָס מאָל איז די טיר געװען אַ ביסל אָפֿן.

פֿאַרװאָס נישט? די קינדער האָבן געקוקט אַרײַן אין צימער; קײנער איז נישטאָ געװען.

זײ האָבן זיך אַרײַנגעגנבֿעט אין צימער און פֿאַרמאַכט די טיר.

און פּלוצלינג האָבן זײ עס געזען; דער גרױסער פֿאַרצײַטישער בוך מיט ברױנע לעדערנע טאָװלען.

פּאַמעלעך זענען זײ צוגעגאַנגען צום בוך.

פּאַמעלעך האָבן זײ אױפֿגעעפֿעַנט דעם בוך.

זײ האָבן געזען אַ בילד פֿון אַ װעג דורך אַ װאַלד און פּלוצלינג ס׳איז געװען אַ בליץ ליכט און זײ זענען געװען אױפֿן זעלביקן װעג אינעװײניק אינעם בילד פֿונעם בוך!

װאָס האָט געשען! װוּ זענען זײ געװען? װי אַזױ קענען זײ אומקערן זיך אַהײם?

די קינדער זענען געװען זײער דערשראָקן אָבער זײ האָבן זיך אָנגעהויבן צו גײן אױפֿן װעג.

זײ האָבן באַמערקט אַז עס איז געװען זײער ליכטיק אין װאַלד.

גוסטאַף האָט אַרױפֿגעקוקט צום הימל און ער האָט געגעבען אַ געשרײ און געטײַטלט מיטן פֿינגער.

אינעם הימל זענען געװען דרײַ זונען און צװײ לבֿנות אַלע שײַנען אין דער זעלבער צײַט.

װאָס פֿאַר אַ מאָדנע װעלט איז דאָס?” האָט גערטרודע געפֿרעגט.

פּלוצלינג האָבן זײ געהערט שושקעס אומעטום.

זײ האָבן געקוקט זו דער טרד און געזען אַזױ װי אַלע בלומען האָבן געשאָקלט מיט די קעפּ און געשושקעט, ”אַ גוט־⁠מאָרגן! ברוכים־הבאָים!

די בײמער האָבן געשאָקלט זײערע צװײַג⁠ן און לימענע־גומע־⁠צוקערל⁠עך זענען געפֿאַלן אַרום צו זײערע פֿיס.

אַ מחיה,“ האָט גוסטאַף געלאַכט, און זײ בײדע האָבן געכאַפּט פֿולע זשמעניעס מיט גומע־צוקערל⁠עך.

זײ האָבן געגאַנגען אַ ביסל מער עסענדיק די גומע־צוקערל⁠עך װען זײ האָבן באַמערקט אַ טונקלע הײל בײַ דער זײַט פֿון װעג.

זײ זענען געגאַנגען אױף די שפּיץ פֿינגער צום אַרײַנגאַנג און האָבן געזען אַ גלימערונג.

”אױ, גיב אַ קוק,” האָט גערטרודע געשושקעט. “ס׳איז דאָ אַן אײנהאָרן אין דער הײל!

און טאַקע איז דאָרט געװען אַן אײַנהאָרן; ער איז געװען זײער אַ שײנע חיה, אין גאַנצן װײַס מיט אַ גלימערונג אַרום און אַרום.

ער האָט געגעבן זײ אַ קוק און האָט זיך אָנגעהויבן צו גײן צו זײ װען פּלוצלינג איז אַלץ געװאָרן שװאַרץ װי די נאַכט און זײ האָבן געהערט דער זײדעס שטימ.

”פֿאַר װאָס שלאָפֿט איר דאָ אין מײַן ביבליאָטעק! קומט אַרױס פֿון דאַנען!”

גוסטאַף און גערטרודע האָבן געגלאָצט אױף אײנער דעם אַנדערן.

װאָס האָט געשען? איז עס געװען אַ חלום? און האָבן זײ געהאַט דעם זעלביקן חלום?

אַ מיסטעריע! אַ טיפֿע מיסטעריע!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

It was a very strange book in their grandfather’s house. The children (a boy, Gustaf, and his younger little sister, Gertrude) were visiting their grandparents with their mother and father. Their parents told them that they should never go into their grandfather’s library, but this time the door was a little bit open. So why not? The children looked into the room; nobody was in there. So, they stole into the room and closed the door. And suddenly they saw it; the big ancient book with brown leather covers. Slowly they approached the book. Slowly they opened the book. They saw a picture of a road through a forest, and suddenly there was a flash of light and they were on that same road inside the picture in the book! What happened? Where were they? How could they return home? The children were very frightened, but they began to go down the road. They noticed that it was very bright in the forest. Gustaf looked up at the sky, and he gave a shout and pointed up. In the sky there were three suns and two moons all shining at the same time. “What kind of a strange world is this?” asked Gertrude. Suddenly they heard murmuring all around them. They looked down on the ground and saw that all the flowers were nodding their heads and whispering, “Good morning, and welcome!” The trees shook their branches and lemon gumdrops fell down around their feet. “This is great,” laughed Gustaf, and they both grabbed handfuls of gumdrops. They went a little further eating their gumdrops when they noticed a dark cave by the side of the road. They tiptoed to the entrance and saw a glow. “Oh, my, take a look,” whispered Gertrude. “There is a unicorn here in the cave!” And, indeed, there was the unicorn; he was a beautiful animal, totally white with a glow all around him. He looked over at them and began to approach them when suddenly everything became black as night, and they heard their grandfather’s voice. “Why are you sleeping here in my library? Come out of there!” Gustaf and Gertrude stared at each other. What had happened? Was this all a dream? And had they both had the same dream? A mystery! A deep mystery!

. . . and a bit of clipart to go along with the story!

Screenshot 2022-03-16 131548.png
Screenshot 2022-03-16 131548.png (136.68 KiB) Viewed 194 times

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

OtAzoy
United States of America

Re: (Archive) My longest Yiddish story so far; 17 days before the Forums end

Post by OtAzoy »

I just got onto Duome after having some trouble registering, so this is a bit late. But THANK YOU, JACKO, FOR FINDING MY STORY IN THE ARCHIVES OF DUOLINGO AND POSTING IT HERE. I appreciate it.

Return to “Yiddish”