Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[VOCAB] Swedish-English false friends

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[VOCAB] Swedish-English false friends

Post by Basler Biker »

Zmrzlina on Duolingo wrote
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_över ... h_engelska

HelenCarlsson

Interesting! Some of them were new to me. And I must confess that I use "illitterat" the English way.
PS. Guess that "fart" should be included :). It is a Swedish word for speed.

Other comments

One of my favorites is gift, a homophone which means 'married' as an adjective and 'poison' as a noun.

Is there a list somewhere online that's like the opposite of the Wikipedia link in the original post? Another words, is there a list somewhere that shows "true friends" between English and Swedish? I've just started learning Swedish, but I think such a list would help me realize how many Swedish words I already know without even knowing it. I didn't have any luck finding one after doing a quick google search. Thanks!

Two that caught my attention (from the Clothing lesson) but are not in the list: rock, slips.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “Ordförråd och teman”