Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[GRAMM] General rules about noun plurals

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[GRAMM] General rules about noun plurals

Post by Basler Biker »

Super-Svensk on Duolingo wrote (exact quote)

Here are some general rules for forming plurals in Swedish: If it is an en-word and ends in -a, you add -or (example: kvinna to kvinnor). If it is an en-word and has one syllable or ends in an unstressed syllable, you add ar (example: hund to hundar). That group contains basically all of the en-words that don't end in -a. For some words in this group that end in unstressed syllables, you eliminate the vowel (example: fågel to fåglar). This may seem difficult, but you'll find it natural after a while. If it is an en-word and is a loanword from another language, add -er (example: biljett to biljetter). You also add -er for the "umlaut plurals," which add an umlaut in the plural form (example: fot to fötter). If it is an ett-word, it is the same in the plural, unless it ends in a vowel, in which case you add -n (example: äpple to "äpplen). This all may seem intimidating, but it'll be easy to remember after a while. The -na makes it definite (the). So a long answer for your short question: pojke is an en-word that doesn't end in -a, so you add -ar. Then, you add -na* to make it definite (the boys). Hope my lengthy explanation made sense!

BlackSerpent on Duolingo wrote (exact quote by a native Swede)

I'm Swedish myself and never knew any of this. I haven't thought about the rules behind the grammar, I just kind of... learned it all. The rules are so complicated and there are so many exceptions for everything, it must be such a pain to learn Swedish as a second language. I'm really glad I got to learn it as my native language so that I don't have to perceive it as difficult.

=> A personal note from Basler Biker: I am fluent in NL/FR/EN/DE and I found learning Sxwedish quite simple in it's basics (no verb conjugation, no casus except a bit of genitives, and so much more things that are so simple compared to FR, EN, DE and NL. It's only in the details that SV is as difficult as any other language ;-)

RomiBanshee on Duolingo wrote (exact quote)

I've just realized that "gitar" sounds like "guitar" and is probably a loanword, that's why the plural ends with -er. Tack snälla! :)

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “Ordförråd och teman”