Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] I’m trying to ‘revive’ a dead language. (Yola).

Deleted User 114

[ARCHIVE] I’m trying to ‘revive’ a dead language. (Yola).

Post by Deleted User 114 »

This was originally posted by dojaduolingo

https://archive.ph/71UNX

Update: Yola now has a wiki - you can track and support the revival of Yola here: https://yola.fandom.com/wiki/Yola_Wiki

Update 2: Follow the Yola community on Twitter - @YolaLanguage

HELO! VAU AAR JY?

So, I’m currently trying to revive the Yola language which was once spoken in Wexford, Ireland. I’ve been using old books and pretty much any resources I could find to try figure out the pronunciation (along with doing some comparisions to Modern English, Middle English and Dutch). The language was an early form of English spoken from Ireland, and seems to have developed to become more distinct than Scots but was eventually replaced with Standard English.

The resources I’ve been using are primarily Wikipedia, Wiktionary and an old archived book by George Poole on the “Forth and Bargy” dialect from the 1800s (a common name for the language). I’ve reformed the writing to be more consistent and as phonetic as a Germanic language can get while also trying to give it its own linguistic quirks (with purpose of course, I’m not trying to purposely making it distinct to English). So far, I would say English and Modern Yola (Nýu Jola) are mutually intelligible; possibly as much as Spanish and Italian or Dutch and German.

Here are some links about the language:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_and_Bargy_dialect#

https://archive.org/details/aglossarywi ... 0/mode/2up

Here are some texts (the first is an old poem in the new orthography):

Y Meidh ov Roslaar (The Maiden of Rosslare)

‘Cham gowyn tu tel dhy óa taal at is dru

Aar is ing Roslaar óa méidh gaud an dru

Shu weerdh ing her hat óa ribon at is blu

An shu goedh tu y Faaidh eerchy dey tu

Ich myzil by ing y Faaidh eerchy dey zu

At ich zy dhicka meidh vo is gaud an dru

An ich by to isholdh y meidh, y meidh at dru

An vo kuum to y Faaidh wy ribbon blu

Chul myzil go to Roslaar eerchyy deie tu

Tu zy dhaar y meidhe wy her ribon blu

An chul her estolt vor her ribon blu

Y meidhe at is lyghtzoom, an wel wydhyn an dru

Ich luuv y meidh wy y ribon bly

Here is the first article of the UDHR (with an English and Dutch translation):

Jola

Aul men aar y-born vry an alik ing wordhship an ryghts. Dhei aar béy-gift wy understhoonyn an lyghtzoomhud an shauld treet oonanuur ing óa gaast ov broverhud

Scots (its closest relative)

Aa bodie sauls ar born free and scleff in mense an richts. Thai ar dotit wi wit and stickles and suid ack thither ane anither in a spírit o britherheid.

English

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Dutch

Alle mensen worden vrij en gelijk in waardigheid en rechten geboren. Zij zijn begiftigd met verstand en geweten, en behoren zich jegens elkander in een geest van broederschap te gedragen.

Please note that this first Yola translation will probably be changed over time as I find more new terms or add to the lexicon and dictionary.

——————————————-

Right now, I’m working on developing a three-way English-Yola-Irish dictionary with all the terms I have found across the various sources and then I’d like to work on a grammar book and expanding the vocabulary to have more complex and modern vocabulary (mainly drawing from roots, similar to German and Dutch as opposed to directly borrowing from French - although French words; either from Middle English or through Irish like gorson found in original texts will be kept).

Does anyone have any advice/opinions to help me on my journey to revive Yola?

Is there any organisations that I could send Yola to? Any organisations that try to preserve languages?

Or any sites I could use to create an online dictionary?

Ich dhank jy vor ha y-reed! Thanks for reading!

Lee Austin
Germany

Re: (Archive) I’m trying to ‘revive’ a dead language. (Yola).

Post by Lee Austin »

This is very interesting and cool, I would be happy to learn it! Good luck on your research as well! :)

Image[/img][/img][/img][/img]

Deleted User 114

Re: (Archive) I’m trying to ‘revive’ a dead language. (Yola).

Post by Deleted User 114 »

I'm not learning Yola, I simply archived it from the Duolingo forums. But yes, it does look like an interesting language!

Return to “Languages not yet covered...”