Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Parent Hack

Corinnebelle

Parent Hack

Post by Corinnebelle »

How to teach your kids a second language for free!

I came across this interesting article in Yahoo, that talks about getting your kids to watch all their movies and shows in another language.

Last edited by Corinnebelle on Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 114

Re: Parent Hack

Post by Deleted User 114 »

there

Just a quick note, you might want to change it from “there” to “their”. :)

Chess
Greece

Post by Chess »

Ok but is this for movies that they have already watched because else it would just be tons of gibberish like "aiehgiuheirghiurhgiuer" or somthing

check and mate

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

Even if you have the “already developed brain” of an adult and not the “critical period for learning language” “language-primed” brain of a child, it wouldn’t just be gibberish. [Which is how language is for everyone at first. (Not to mention all the “gibberish” we speak when we think we are saying something meaningful but in reality we are being completely detached from reality and truth.)] Because many of the things being said would have an obvious and relatable visual context.

Ya feel me chess?! ❤️

🇺🇦

Chess
Greece

Post by Chess »

panyamnyenyekevu Ok so its just like how a babys start to learn English like mama and dada

check and mate

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:28 am

I came across this interesting article in Yahoo, that talks about getting your kids to watch all their movies and shows in another language.

My understanding is that kids need reinforcement and interaction to actually learn a language. Without that, you may end up with kids who are better primed than average to pick up language X than other kids and who may even understand some spoken X, but I doubt that they'd be able to speak it.

b05aplmun.ca
United States of America

Post by b05aplmun.ca »

Chess wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:43 pm

panyamnyenyekevu Ok so its just like how a babys start to learn English like mama and dada

Chess wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:43 pm

My understanding is that kids learn words like "mama" and "papa," because they are genetically programmed to babble the entire repertoire of sounds humans can produce, and adults get all excited and reinforce the kids when the sounds they produce are pretty close to "mama" and "papa."

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

b05aplmun.ca wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:12 pm
Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:28 am

My understanding is that kids need reinforcement and interaction to actually learn a language. Without that, you may end up with kids who are better primed than average to pick up language X than other kids and who may even understand some spoken X, but I doubt that they'd be able to speak it.

I've read about people who have learnt languages from the television. Of course it can be improved, but it's amazing what one can pick up when one isn't trying!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Random Thoughts”