Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] [Jet.Propelled] “This kitchen is spacious” or “This is a spacious kitchen”?

Moderator: The_lost

Deleted User 114

[ARCHIVE] [Jet.Propelled] “This kitchen is spacious” or “This is a spacious kitchen”?

Post by Deleted User 114 »

This was originally posted by Jet.Propelled

https://archive.ph/Tolsx

I translated the following: هذا مطبخ واسع as “this kitchen is spacious” but Duo says it’s wrong and should be “this is a spacious kitchen”.
Could someone explain how to tell the difference, or is Duo wrong... or am I missing something that makes it obvious?

Comment by EranBarLev

"This kitchen" would be هذا المطبخ, with a definite article.
هدا مطبخ without a definite article means "this is a kitchen". Duo is right.

Reply from Jet.Propelled

Ahhhh... thank you. I was missing something, because Duo hadn’t explained. I wish they gave a bit more background to the grammar in the lessons.

Reply from CloggyMcClogFace

This is explained in the tips section of the lesson. Maybe you're using the app which doesn't have tips? (I have no idea how you can do Duo without tips, which are available on the web version.)

Reply from Captain_Sensible

How very extraordinary. Thanks. I mostly use the iPhone ap, and I have tips for my German and Portuguese lessons, but not for Arabic. I hadn't noticed that tips were available on the browser version!

Reply from Captain_Sensible

You need to pay a lot of attention to the role of the definite article. Indeed: هدا مطبخ واسع = this is a spacious kitchen. هذا المطبخ واسع = This kitchen is spacious. هذا المطبخ الواسع = This spacious kitchen is (something).

Reply from Jet.Propelled

Thank you. That’s the first response that fully have what Duo hadn’t given. We’ve not met using the definite article for adjectives yet, so I couldn’t have paid attention to it even if I’d wanted to.

Reply from Saydobid_Xusanov

That’s the first response that fully has what Duo hadn’t given.

Read the tips of the skill, everything about the articles, especially these examples are explained there in detail. :)

Comment from Paul_Oxford

This book is highly recommended. It's simply laid out and covers all the main points:

https://www.gatewaytoarabic.com/arabic- ... art-1.html

Nada
Egypt

Re: [ARCHIVE] [Jet.Propelled] “This kitchen is spacious” or “This is a spacious kitchen”?

Post by Nada »

It says "هذا مطبخ واسع " not " هدا مطبخ واسع "

The difference here is that there is no word in the Arabic language called(هدا)

ابتسم دااااائما :D
Always smile ;) :D
🥀🥀

Deleted User 114

Re: [ARCHIVE] [Jet.Propelled] “This kitchen is spacious” or “This is a spacious kitchen”?

Post by Deleted User 114 »

Nada wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:56 am

It says "هذا مطبخ واسع " not " هدا مطبخ واسع "

The difference here is that there is no word in the Arabic language called(هدا)

I changed it, thanks!

sybilcock
Palestine

Post by sybilcock »

I cannot find the tips for Arabic (from English) even in the web version. The now closed discussions are very useful, but the tips would be even better. There is virtually no guidence at all. any suggestions?
Shukran!

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

sybilcock wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:00 pm

I cannot find the tips for Arabic (from English) even in the web version. The now closed discussions are very useful, but the tips would be even better. There is virtually no guidence at all. any suggestions?
Shukran!

Does this help?
https://duome.eu/tips/en/ar

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

sybilcock
Palestine

Post by sybilcock »

Thanks.

Return to “Language”