Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Tables

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

Deleted User 133

Tables

Post by Deleted User 133 »

[mention]duome[/mention], could you implement this set of BBCodes for tables, please?

BBCode usage:

Code: Select all

[table]{TEXT}[/table]

HTML:

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; border-style: groove;" width=100%>{TEXT}</table>

BBCode usage:

[tr]{TEXT}[/tr]

HTML:

<tr>{TEXT}</tr>

BBCode usage:

[th]{TEXT}[/th]

HTML:

<th align=center>{TEXT}</th>

BBCode usage:

[td]{TEXT}[/td]

HTML:

<td>{TEXT}</td>
duome

Re: Tables

Post by duome »

try it
Deleted User 133

header 1 header 2 header 3

left

center

right

colspan header test colspan data
header 2 data data

Short MediumMedium Short

Principally, it looks good and useful, but I'll update the code later for headers and cells to add "colspan" (cells that span over two or more columns in a table.) I will tag you after testing. Thank you.

Deleted User 133

[mention]duome[/mention], please update the [th] and [td] codes as follows to use colspan and rowspan.

BBCode usage

[th={NUMBER1},{NUMBER2} colspan={NUMBER1;optional} rowspan={NUMBER2;optional}]{TEXT}[/th]

HTML

<th><xsl:copy-of select="@colspan"/><xsl:copy-of select="@rowspan"/>{TEXT}</th>

BBCode usage

[td={NUMBER1},{NUMBER2} colspan={NUMBER1;optional} rowspan={NUMBER2;optional}]{TEXT}[/td]

HTML

<td><xsl:copy-of select="@colspan"/><xsl:copy-of select="@rowspan"/>{TEXT}</td>
duome

Post by duome »

please, test it

Deleted User 133

Testing...

header spanning over 5 columns
header 1 header 2 header 3 header 4 header 5

left aligned cell

cell that spans over 3 columns

right aligned cell

cell that spans over 3 rows

cell cell cell

خانة - rtl

cell

spanning over 2 cols and 2 rows

خانة - rtl

cell

خانة - rtl

cell cell cell cell

خانة - rtl

Deleted User 133

[mention]duome[/mention], looks like it's working exactly as intended. However, that light blue color that comes every 2nd row is disturbing.
Do you know how to change it to white from the CSS file? I tracked its source to here (attached in the screenshot):

Attachments
2nd.child-tr.png
2nd.child-tr.png (185.46 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Deleted User 133

Below is the code with the color change for headers and rows; just copy and paste replace the code below in the CSS file (markdown.min.css)

.markdown:last-child{margin-bottom:0}.markdown li .markdown{margin-top:0}h6.markdown,h5.markdown,h4.markdown,h3.markdown,h2.markdown,h1.markdown{float:none !important;margin:1em 0 !important;border:none;padding:0;text-transform:none;line-height:1em;color:currentColor;font-weight:bold}h6.markdown:first-child,h5.markdown:first-child,h4.markdown:first-child,h3.markdown:first-child,h2.markdown:first-child,h1.markdown:first-child{margin-top:0 !important}h6.markdown:last-child,h5.markdown:last-child,h4.markdown:last-child,h3.markdown:last-child,h2.markdown:last-child,h1.markdown:last-child{margin-bottom:0 !important}h1.markdown{font-size:2em}h2.markdown{font-size:1.5em}h3.markdown{font-size:1.17em}h4.markdown{font-size:1em}h5.markdown{font-size:.83em}h6.markdown{font-size:.67em}table.markdown{margin-top:1em;margin-bottom:1em}table.markdown,table.markdown th{border:1px solid #000000; background-color:#8ee000}table.markdown td{border:1px solid #000000; background-color:#ffffff}table.markdown tr:nth-child(2n){background-color:#ffffff}table.markdown thead{color:#000000; background-color:#8ee000}table.markdown th,table.markdown td{padding:5px 5px}.forums .list-inner p,.polls p,.poll-title p,.content p,.markdown p{font-size:1em}.forums .list-inner p,.polls p{display:inline-block}.forums .list-inner p,.polls p,.poll-title p,.markdown li p{margin-bottom:0}.content p:last-child,.signature p:last-child,.markdown p:last-child{margin-bottom:0}
Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

It's impressive, nice. But I don't see how on earth I would want to make such complicated tables "by hand".

e.g. do you plan to copy paste a whole structured table from another system or so?
Suppose I have an Excel (I am a fan) with cells and merged cells, the lot, can it then be copy-pasted here to keep the cell arrangement? or how will this work?

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Basler Biker wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:44 pm

Suppose I have an Excel (I am a fan) with cells and merged cells, the lot, can it then be copy-pasted here to keep the cell arrangement? or how will this work?

Use an online converter, such as https://tableconvert.com/excel-to-bbcode

Note that you can still also use the pipe-tables syntax, which is less verbose (but less powerful as you can't use colspan/rowspan)

someheading
pipetable
anotherrow

some | heading
-|-
pipe | table
another | row

🦀 Pensando en la inmortalidad del cangrejo 🏴‍☠️ Flags Are Not Languages

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

luo-ning wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:00 pm
Basler Biker wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:44 pm

Use an online converter, such as https://tableconvert.com/excel-to-bbcode

Note that you can still also use the pipe-tables syntax, which is less verbose (but less powerful as you can't use colspan/rowspan)

someheading
pipetable
anotherrow

some | heading
-|-
pipe | table
another | row

looks like very promising, so I gave it a try. Upload an excel doesn't work. neither copy/paste excel cells. And the manual editor does not support merged cells. A pitty. But I can do without spans. So i'll stick to excel formulas generating the pipes. But THANKS!

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

duome

Post by duome »

Alivated wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 pm

Below is the code with the color change for headers and rows; just copy and paste replace the code below in the CSS file (markdown.min.css)

Ctrl+F5 to apply the changes, s'il vous plaît... )

Deleted User 133

Et voila! I think it's self-explanatory why I went with the green for headers.
Merci beaucoup!

Attachments
preview.png
preview.png (25.21 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: Tables - Nice features

Post by Basler Biker »

I am curious and impatient to find out how you'll use all these nice features in a language related topic ;-)

Deleted User 133

Re: Tables - Nice features

Basler Biker wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:37 am

I am curious and impatient to find out how you'll use all these nice features in a language related topic ;-)

The BBCode used to create that "complex table" is the same one that would be used to create a table as simple as the one below

2 cols

data

data

I was just demonstrating some of the potentials the tables have now, and they can be much more complex if needed by the users. The fact is that they are more advanced than pipes.

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

[mention]duome[/mention] here's a fix for the bug reported by [mention]Basler Biker[/mention] in the Update [align] thread (continuing discussion here as it concerns [table], not [align]):

Basler Biker wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:46 am

while we are on alignment - note that the initial "pipe" based markdown notations don't align anymore
(with or even without the very first and very last "pipe"

To fix, replace the BBCodes for td and th as follows:

td

[td align={CHOICE=left,center,right,justify;caseSensitive;optional;preFilter=strtolower} colspan={UINT?} rowspan={UINT?} #createParagraphs=false]{TEXT}[/td]

<td>
	<xsl:copy-of select="@colspan"/>
	<xsl:copy-of select="@rowspan"/>
	<xsl:if test="@align">
		<xsl:attribute name="style">text-align:{CHOICE}</xsl:attribute>
	</xsl:if>
	<xsl:apply-templates/>
</td>

th

[th align={CHOICE=left,center,right,justify;caseSensitive;optional;preFilter=strtolower} colspan={UINT?} rowspan={UINT?} #createParagraphs=false]{TEXT}[/th]

<th>
	<xsl:copy-of select="@colspan"/>
	<xsl:copy-of select="@rowspan"/>
	<xsl:if test="@align">
		<xsl:attribute name="style">text-align:{CHOICE}</xsl:attribute>
	</xsl:if>
	<xsl:apply-templates/>
</th>

These are the BBCodes used in /vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Plugins/BBCodes/Configurator/repository.xml and appear to be what pipe tables were originally using "under the hood", but they still allow for setting of colspan and rowspan.

duome

Post by duome »

Done and dusted. Does it work as expected?

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

LeftCenterRight
xxx

Above is the code copy-paste from Markdown example. Seems like it is OK again
Note that the Headers are now also aligned like the columns
(before, I thought, they were always centered, but the current setting is OK for me - if center needs to be, then we have the new buttons)

Left

Center

Right

xxx

Next, for me, remains to be found how to have Yellow on Blue for the headers. Text color I can set with the button provided, yet the background remains green for the moment...

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Basler Biker wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:56 pm

how to have Yellow on Blue for the headers.

Why's this necessary, beyond aesthetic reasons? It's certainly possible to implement arbitrary styling features in BBCodes, but IMO not worth the added complexity unless there's a semantic case for it (i.e. it adds some well-defined, meaningful information to the content).

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

luo-ning wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:27 am
Basler Biker wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:56 pm

how to have Yellow on Blue for the headers.

Why's this necessary, beyond aesthetic reasons? It's certainly possible to implement arbitrary styling features in BBCodes, but IMO not worth the added complexity unless there's a semantic case for it (i.e. it adds some well-defined, meaningful information to the content).

Well, the complexity was added by having "green" headers. I was happy with unmodified cyan headers, the color of the topic Titles ;-)

duome

Post by duome »

The original duolingo color was blue, by the way.

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Basler Biker wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:45 am

Well, the complexity was added by having "green" headers.

That's not what I mean by complexity — if for example, all quoted text was fuchsia and Comic Sans MS, that still wouldn't add complexity (because all quoted text would still be consistent and not individually customizable).

Personally I'm not really a fan of the poison green table headings either, but that's a matter of personal taste.

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

I'm fine with the green table header for a while. It doesn't seem too hard to change this if we want to. But I'am not sure if there is a way to implement a table without a table header. Sometimes you only need the structure of a table. Yesterday I looked this up in the internet and I didn't found a clear answer. Is there a way ?Does anybody know?

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

[mention]pawndemic[/mention]

do you mean
like this ?

[table]
	[tr]
		[td]do[/td]
		[td]you[/td]
		[td]mean[/td]
	[/tr]
	[tr]
		[td]like[/td]
		[td]this[/td]
		[td]?[/td]
	[/tr]
[/table]

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

pawndemic wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:59 pm

I'm fine with the green table header for a while. It doesn't seem too hard to change this if we want to. But I'am not sure if there is a way to implement a table without a table header. Sometimes you only need the structure of a table. Yesterday I looked this up in the internet and I didn't found a clear answer. Is there a way ?Does anybody know?

I guess, with "pipes" - my old-fashioned method (that's the one easily generated from an excel) - you'll get a minimum "empty header row" like this
||||
|-|-|-|
|a|b|c|

abc

else do like luo-ning suggested.

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

Yes I mean
a table like this

Aaah, very good. Thank you. I only searched for the pipe based tables. But that works for me, too.

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

Basler Biker wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:07 pm

I guess, with "pipes" - my old-fashioned method (that's the one easily generated from an excel) - you'll get a minimum "empty header row" like this

Yes, I tried this yesterday as well. But I didn't like it. But now I know how it works fine for me.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

On Dutchgrammar.com the author used tables in a very clear and useful way to explain the hardest part of Dutch grammar "word order", and many many pages were needed to explain first the standard ways, then near the end all "allowed" variants
https://www.dutchgrammar.com/en/?n=WordOrder.02

I guess, if we wanted such table here, we'd have to design it in (my preferred Excel) and then paste a screen-capture here.

Return to “Requests new Duome features”