Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[QANDA] Var vs blev (was ... vs got/became ...)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[QANDA] Var vs blev (was ... vs got/became ...)

Post by Basler Biker »

develanteriel on Duolingo wrote (exact quote)

Jag blev inbjuden means that somebody was performing the action of inviting you.

Jag var inbjuden means that you were in the state of having previously received an invitation. The phrasing may also imply that even though you were at once point invited, you are no longer invited.

That's the general gist of the difference as well, but of course, idiomatics may vary and the best translation might occasionally differ from the most literal one. :)

Alby9000 on Duolngo said (exact quote)

Let's translate that last part
"Hon såg hur ledsen han var och var förtvivlad över at hon inte kunde.."
"She saw how sad he was and was in despair because/that she couldn't.."

If you used "blev" like you said it would become
"Hon såg hur ledsen han var och blev förtvivlad över at hon inte kunde.."
"She saw how sad he was and became miserable because/that she couldn't.."

Ida794718 on Duolingo said (exact quote)

Han blev trött means that he got tired, often used in combination of something you’ve recently done.

”Kalle blev trött efter att ha tränat i två timmar. - Kalle got tired after a two hour work out session.”
Is doesn’t have to mean just physically though, it can mean tired mentally too.

”Kalle blev trött efter att ha studerat i fyra timmar - Kalle got tired after a four hour study session.”

”Han tröttnade” means more or less that he got bored, so no not the same meaning as ”han var trött”.
”Hans bästa kompis var sen och han tröttnade på att vänta” - ”His best friend was late and he got tired of waiting.”

And yes ”var” is in the past.
Han var trött - He was tired.
Han är trött - He is tired.

skalpadda on Duolingo wrote (exact quote)

”Hans bästa kompis var sen och han tröttnade på att vänta” - ”His best friend was late and he got tired of waiting.”

You could even say han tröttnade på att vänta - he tired of waiting to keep the verbs exactly the same. I suppose saying that you tire of something sounds a bit more formal in English.

I wouldn't object to someone using tröttnade to mean physical tiredness even if it's unusual, though it needs some heavy context to be read that way. Something like Han tröttnade i kroppen efter flera timmars hårt arbete for example. I wouldn't consider that strange if I read it, but my go-to would be to say Han blev trött i kroppen.

skidbladner on Duolingo wrote (exact quote)

• blev (became, got) : tells about something that happened, an action that took place.
  • var (was): tells about a result.

But Vad blev resultatet? tells about a result. Why shouldn't it be "Var" in that case? Maybe because Vad blev resultatet? is emphasizing the event that happened beforehand?

Yes, exactly. Since one asks about a result, something has happened that gave rise to this result: 'What did the result (of the action) become'.

Weather one in a particular case should emphasize the action that has taken place or the resulting 'state', is to some degree idiomatic. The basic rule however, is as stated above.

Arnauti on Duolingo wrote (exact quote)

I usually talk about it as blev always involving a change. Jag var trött you already were tired Jag blev trött you weren't tired at first but then there was a change and you became tired.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “FAQ Vanliga frågor”