Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] [SASSYandsisters] Arabic Word of the Day [51-60]

Moderator: The_lost

Deleted User 114

[ARCHIVE] [SASSYandsisters] Arabic Word of the Day [51-60]

Post by Deleted User 114 »

These posts were originally written by SASSYandsisters.

Lesson 51

https://archive.ph/SUW17

*Sorry! Today's lesson is going to be quite short, but I hope you learn a few useful words from it :) We're going to look at some modes of transport:

سيارة = “Say’yara” = A Car

حافلة = “Haafila” = A Bus

قطار = “Qitaar” = A Train

سفينة = “Safeena” = A Ship

قارب = “Qaarib” = A Boat

لوح تزلج = “Lawh^ tazaluj” = A Skateboard

دراجة = “Daraaja” = A Bike

طائرة = “Taa’ira” = A Plane

قارب شراعي = “Qaarib shiraa3ee” = A Sailing Boat

أمشي = “Amshee” = I Walk

شاحنة = “Shaahina” =A Truck

That's your vocab list for today! Hope you enjoyed this ever so short lesson! Any Qs, Proof reading, Suggestions or possible improvements, feel free to note that below! Thanks a lot! I apologise if I don't manage to reply to your comments and sorry for this short lesson :( but I guess it's quality not quantity... though this post is neither but hey! Thanks for your co-operation! Have a Nice Day Guys! [...or sleep I should say!] ;D

Lesson 52

https://archive.ph/ukhDs

Hi! How are you guys today? Good? I hope so! Today we’re going to be looking at some plants:

النباتات = “Alnabaataat” = [The] Plants

زهرة = “Zahra” = [A] Flower – Some Arabs call their girl “Zahra” [they must be very confident that their daughter will be pretty] JK ;p

وردة = “Warda” = [A] Rose – This is also another [cringy imo] Arabic girl name

شجرة = “Shajara” = [A] Tree – No-one calls their daughter that don’t worry! XD

دوار الشمس = “Dawaar alshams” = [A] Sunflower – “Dawaar” [in this sense] kind of means “that which turns [rotates]”, and “alshams” means “the sun” [important word to remember]. So “Dawaar alshams” is “that which turns to the sun”, which is exactly what Sunflowers do! Nice word! ;)

[عباد الشمس] = "3abaad alshams” = [A] Sunflower – Another word for the beautiful plant! Both are just as common so you should try to remember both! This however has quite a different meaning. “3abaad” is “that which worships” and “alshams” again meaning “sun”, so “3abaad alshams” means “that which worships the sun” in the sense that bends towards the sun when it rises, which is another original description

أقحوان = “Uqhuwaan” = [A] Chrysanthemum – Has become GCSE English students’ least favourite flower after appearing in their English exam. Fact.

[عشب ] = ”3ushb" = Grass

صبار = “Sabaar” = [A] Cactus

طحلب = “Tuhlub” = Moss

نرجس = “Narjis” = [A] Daffodil– Another Arabic girl name! [only not so cringy] I think they’re obsessed with flowers… I mean they have it in English too, like Daisy and Blossom and Lily and whatnot…

زنبق = “Zanbaq = [A] Lily or زنبق الماء = “Zanbaq^ almaa’ “ which you should already guess to be Water Lily – Thank god that’s not a name! ;o

أعشاب = “A3shaab” = Herbs / Grasses [depending on subject]

الأعشاب الضارة = “Al’a3shaab aldaara” = Weed [the plant! Before anyone suggests!] – So we know “a3shaab” means “grasses” [in this case], “aldaara” means “that are bad for [wtv it is] which we know is plants! That’s why it’s good to say the adjective after the noun! [Proof] Anyways, so basically it means “the grasses that are bad”

توليب = “Tooleeb” = Tulip – They ran out of ideas here ;p

And so did I! Ok here’s your beginner list! Tomorrow I might continue this topic with tree types like oak and birch! For now, try to practice pronouncing these using the transcriptions above. If you need any clarification for any of the letters and transcriptions, please comment below! Thanks!

Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof – reading, Suggestions or Improvements I can make, please comment below and [since it’s a holiday] I’ll probably manage to answer sooner than I have done in the past few days ;) Have a Nice Evening Guys! Cya ;D

Lesson 53

https://archive.ph/5qTar

Hello! Today we're going to look at using future tense. Don't worry because future tense is really easy! We have two different ways to represent future tense and today, we're going to look at one of them:

Here we have three present tense verbs:

ألعب = "Al3ab" = I play /I am playing

يسبح = "Yasbah^" = He swims /is swimming

ترسم = "Tarsum" = She draws [is drawing] / You [m] draw [you are drawing]

Now with the first way, all we're going to do is add the word "سوف " [sawfa] before the verb and we're done! ;D So now, they'll look like this:

سوف ألعب = "Sawfa al3ab" = I will play / I am going to play

سوف يسبح = "Sawfa yasbah^" = He will swim / He is going to swim

سوف ترسم = "Sawfa tarsum" = She will draw [she is going to draw] / You [m] will draw [You are going to draw]

Simple! Now here's a few example sentences:

غدا، سوف أذهب إلى السوق = "Ghadan, sawfa ath'hab ila alsooq^" = Tomorrow, I will go to the shop

أبي سوف يشتري سيارة جديدة = "Abee sawfa yashtaree say'yaara jadeeda" = My dad is going to buy a new car - "yashtaree" means "he buys" ["I buy" is "ashtaree"]. "jadeeda" also means "new" [I'm not sure if you already know this word]

أنا و سوسن سوف نذهب إلى المطعم اليوم = "Anaa wa Sawsan sawfa nath'hab ila almat3am alyawm" = Me and Sawsan are going to the restaurant today

متى سوف نذهب؟ = "Mata sawfa nath'hab?" = When will we go?

Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements, please comment below! Thanks! ;D Tomorrow we'll go through the second way of using future tense, until then, good night! :D

Lesson 54

https://archive.ph/TESYs

Hey! Today I'm going to introduce you to the second way of converting to future tense! Yesterday we looked at the first way, so let's begin with a recap before we move on:

• We simply use the word "sawfa" before the verb and we're done:

• "Sawfa amshee" = I will walk = "Amshee" means "I walk/I am walking", and "sawfa" before the verb converts it to future tense! If you would like to check out that post, here is the link [https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/32672490] Hope you enjoy it!

Now to the 2nd way:

This way is more advanced [it isn't harder no worries!]. It just shows that you are fluent in your Arabic; it is better. It is also much more commonly used, and using our 1st way, makes you sound more like a "robot" [if that makes sense]. So basically, it would be great if you guys can remember and apply the second way:

• Add "sa" to the beginning of the verb. If the verb begins with an "a" [alif], then make sure to add a slight pause [I'll show you in a sec]

• So here are two verbs that don’t start with “alif”:

يصنع = “Yasna3” = He makes [new word!] / He is making

تسأل = “Tas’al” = She asks [she is asking] / You ask [You are asking]

• Take a moment to take a guesstimate on what they’d become using the 2nd way before you look at the answer below. Congrats if you’ve got it right! ;D

سيصنع = “Sayasna3” = He will make/ He is going to make – Make sure you pronounce “sa” and “yasna3” separately. So don’t pronounce it “say” “asna3”, it should be “sa” “yasna3”. Don’t add a pause, just pronounce separately

ستسأل = “Satas’al” = She will ask [she is going to ask] / You will ask [You are going to ask] – Same here. Make sure you pronounce “sa” and “tas’al” separately. Because, technically, “Sa” is a shortened version of “Sawfa”, it’s a bit like apostrophes in English.

• Now we should already know from previous lessons that whenever a verb starts with “alif” the subject is “I” [aka: yourself]. Remember, in Arabic the beginning of a verb tells us who is the subject. So the verbs that will start with “alif” will always be about yourself. Here’s a verb that starts with “alif”:

أشرب = “Ashrab” = I drink / I am drinking

• It becomes:

سأشرب = “Sa’ashrab” = I will drink/ I am going to drink – So all you do is add a short pause [not too long] between “Sa” and “Ashrab” because there’ll be a double a if we don’t.

• Simple! So just remember this, I dare say, equation:

“Sa” + “Verb” = Future Tense

• So to finish off, we’ll have a few example sentences:

سأذهب إلى الملعب = “Sa’ath’hab ila almal3ab” = I will go to the stadium

سنتعاون = “Sanata3aawan” = We will co-operate [new word!]

Your Turn! Here are some exercises if you wish:

• Challenge [For Clever Beginners – I’m sure that’s all of you!]:

سيلعب أمجد كرة القدم مع أصدقائه = “Sayal3ab Amjad kurat alqadam ma3a asdiqaa’ih” = ? [Can you figure it out using past lessons?]

• Super Challenge [For BTEC Arabs]:

سيستمع عندما يفوت الأوان = “Sayastami3 3indamaa yafoot al’awaan” = ? [Be honest with me! ;p]

• If you complete one, comment below! ;D

Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions or Possible Improvements, please comment below! Have a Nice Evening Everyone! Hope you enjoyed today’s lesson :D

• Mmm I smell spaghetti ;3 Nom nom

Lesson 55

https://archive.ph/pfsnC

Hello guys! Long time no see… I mean it was only two days ago but hey! Sorry I couldn’t post for the past 2 days because I was ill ;p Forgive me dear students I didn’t want to spread the pathogens to you guys :3 So I was blaming the cold British weather for this, then I realised that we haven’t done weather yet! So today’s lesson is going to be about describing weather!

كيف الطقس؟ = “Kayfa altaqs?” = How is the Weather? / What is the Weather Like?

الطقس = “Altaqs” = [The] Weather

الطقس مشمس = “Altaqs mushmis” = The Weather is Sunny [It’s sunny]

الطقس جميل = “Altaqs Jameel” = The Weather is Beautiful/ Nice

انها تمطر = “Inahaa tumtir” = It is Raining – “Inahaa” means “she is” or “it is” [in this case] and “Tumtir” means “raining” = England

إنها تثلج = “Inahaa tuthlij” = It is Snowing – “Tuthlij” means “snowing”

الطقس سيئ = “Altaqs say’yi’ “ = The Weather is Bad

ضبابي = “Dabaabee” = Foggy

الجو غائم = “Aljaw ghaa’im” = It is Cloudy – “Aljaw” means “the atmosphere” and “Ghaa’im” means “Cloudy” so it technically means “the atmosphere is cloudy”.

الجو عاصف = “Aljaw 3aasif” = It is Windy

الجو بارد = “Aljaw baarid” = It is Cold

الجو حار = “Aljaw haar” = It is Hot

الجو دافئ = “Aljaw daafi’” = It is Warm

So let’s make a few sentences:

الجو دافئ لكن انها تمطر = “Aljaw daafi’ lakin inahaa tumtir” = The weather is warm but it is raining

الطقس سيئ اليوم = “Altaqs say’yi’ alyawm” = The weather is bad today

الطقس مشمس و جميل = “Altaqs mushmis wa Jameel” = The weather is sunny and beautiful

Now it’s your turn! Make a sentence describing your weather and comment below! ;D You can already guess what mines like Lol ;p

If you want to go one step ahead, try describing the weather and where so for example [use this as a template if you wish]:

الجو مشمس في إسبانيا = “Aljaw mushmis fee Isbaaniyaa” = The Weather is sunny in Spain!

Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements, I’m OPEN! ;D Have a Nice Day CYA! ;p

Lesson 56

https://archive.ph/dtsbD

In today’s lesson we’re going to look at our daily routine. Let’s start:

استيقظ = “Astayqidh” = I wake up

أنهض من الفراش = “Anhad^ min alfiraash” = I get up from bed – “Anhad means “I get up”, “min” means “from” and “firaash” is another word for “bed” [other than “sareer” which we already discussed before]

You may think that waking up and getting up from bed is the same thing. No, it’s not. Waking up is awaking from your sleep whereas getting up is actually getting off of your bed [I mean I don’t know about you guys, but it takes me like half an hour everyday rolling in my bed instead of getting up]. Just clarifying… Anyways!

أنظف أسناني = “Unadhif asnaanee” = I brush my teeth – “Unadhif” means “I clean” and “asnaanee” means “my teeth” [therefore implying that “asnaan” means “teeth”] so the phrase “unadhif asnaanee” technically means “I clean my teeth” but that’s kinda weird in English, isn’t it? So, I wouldn’t translate it that way.

أستحم = “Astahim” = I take a shower

امشط شعري = “Umashit^ sha3ree” = I brush/comb my hair – “Umashit means “I brush” and “sha3ree” means “my hair” [suggesting that “sha3r” means “hair”]. We wouldn’t use “umashit for “brushing teeth” because it doesn’t sound right [and even if you think about it in English, it is quite weird]

أرتدي ملابسي = “Artadee malaabisee” = I wear my clothes – “Artadee” means “I wear” and “Malaabisee” means “My clothes” [and as we already know, “malaabis” means “clothes”]

أغير ملابسي = “Ughayir malaabisee” = I change my clothes” – “ughayir” means “I change”.

أتناول الفطور = “Atanaawal alfatoor” = I eat/have breakfast – “Atanaawal” is another word for “I eat”, but it’s often used in sentences with the purpose of “having” instead of “eating”. So for example, I’d be watching a craft show [I don’t know why I watch them though I make nothing anyways] and the person would say “tanaawal miqas” which means “take a pair of scissors”, but if I didn’t know the two-way meaning of this word, I would’ve tried to eat a pair of scissors! So just keep that in mind! Oh and “fatoor” means “breakfast” [if you’re a Muslim this might ring a bell]

أذهب الى المدرسة = “Ath’hab ila almadrasa” = I go to school [notch this off your list if you’re lucky enough to have finished this]

أذهب إلى العمل = “Ath’hab ila al3amal” = I go to work – Luckily enough, you’ve got this as a replacement!

أذهب إلى البيت = “Ath’hab ila albayt” = I go home – Can also be “ath’hab ila almanzil” because as we already know, there are two words for “home” [manzil and bayt]

أتناول العشاء = “Atanaawal al3ashaa’” = I eat/have dinner – “Al3ashaa’” means “dinner”

أذهب إلى الفراش = “Ath’hab ila alfiraash” = I go to bed

أذهب إلى النوم = “Ath’hab ila alnawm” = I go to sleep

…. AND the cycle begins AGAIN! [groan]

Luckily, this list isn’t the only thing we do everyday [or life would totally suck…hmm like it doesn’t]. We do loads of other things and this short list is just the general basics, so if you would like to know a certain phrase, feel free to ask below! Thanks! Have an awesome … night! ;D Also, don’t forget to comment if you have any suggestions! :)

Lesson 57

https://archive.ph/5zmX4

مرحبا, today we’re going to look at some basic body parts…

الجسم = “Aljism” = The Body

وجه = “Wajh” = A Face – Don’t forget to pronounce the “h”; it isn’t silent!

[عيون] = “3uyoon” = Eyes – “3ayn” = An eye

حواجب = “Hawaajib” = Eyebrows – “Haajib” = An eyebrow

أنف = “Anf” = A nose

آذان = “Aathaan” = Ears – “th” here, is like the sound “th” in the English “that”, ok? – Also “Uthun” = An ear

فم = “Fam” = A mouth – XD not pronounced like “fam” in English [well not really in English! ;p]

شعر = “Sha3r” = Hair - Don’t get mixed up with “Shaa3ir” which means “poet”

رموش = “Rumoosh” = Eyelashes – “Ramsh” = An eyelash

شارب =”Shaarib” = A Mustache

لحية = “Lihya” = A Beard

ذقن = “Thaqn” = A Chin

عنق = “3unuq = A Neck

كتف = “Katif” = A Shoulder

ذراع = “Thiraa3” = An Arm

رجل = “Rijl” = A Leg - Don’t get mixed up with “Rajul” [spelt the same way] meaning “a man” XD

قدم = “Qadam” = A Foot – “Aqdaam” meaning “feet”

يد = “Yad” = A Hand – “Ayaadee” = Hands

أصابع = “Asaabi3” = Fingers

دماغ = “Dimaagh” = Brain [this list is of an average person’s body, not everyone will have the complete set… just confirming hmm! ;p JK … I think I dropped mine at some point]

And I’ll finish today’s list with a nice one

قلب = “Qalb” = Heart! :3

Okeydokey! That’s it for today! Any Qs, Proof – reading, Suggestions for certain topics you’d like to learn, please comment below, thanks a lot! ;D Have a Great Summer!

Lesson 58, special

https://archive.ph/6B1YL

Hey everyone! Today we’re going to look away from the long lists of words, and we’re going to look at some facts! I’ve searched them all online, as to not make any mistakes. I hope you enjoy this lesson:

1] Arab is not a race

Too often you’ll hear people broadly use the word ‘Arab’ as a term to describe the race of those who hail from certain parts of the world. Not only is it cringe-worthy, it’s just plain ignorant! If you’re planning on spending time in the Arab world this is the first thing you’ve got to get straight so you don’t end up offending anyone. In fact, ‘Arab’ is a cultural term which describes people who speak Arabic as their mother tongue.

2] Honour is important [I’m sure that’s everywhere in the world]

Arabs take honour and respect very seriously and you should never insult one, not even in jest. It’s disrespectful to mock or shout at an Arab and especially a big taboo when it comes to your elders [So true!]. Family values and respect for elders is held in high regard in the Arab world and they are key aspects of the culture that should never, ever be trifled with [or the flip flops are shooting at you!].

3] Not all Arabs are Muslims Since most of the Arab figures we are familiar with in the West tend to be Muslim, it’s easy to assume that all Arabs must, to some extent, practise Islam. On some level, we’ve come to associate ‘Muslim’ and ‘Arab’ as interchangeable terms, which shouldn’t be the case. While the majority of Arabs are Muslims, you’ll find Christian, Jewish, and a whole other range of religious beliefs in Arabic culture.

4] Relationships first, business second

If you are travelling to any part of the Arab world for business, it’s important for you to know that there is no such thing as getting right down to business in Arab culture. The first meetings are used in order to determine if a relationship can be developed between the different parties and only then will further negotiations be planned out. Take your time to get to know your business counterparts and don’t feel the need to rush straight to the point.

5] Arabs love bling [apparently so?]

It is very rare to find an Arab walking around without at least a little jewellery on. This is because Arabs love their bling and enjoy investing in beautiful jewellery. Arab women in particular are known for donning decorative clothing and stunning jewellery for almost any occasion! [depends if they’re rich really :3 You never see me wander around in ten tonne jewellery?]

6] Body language has meaning

Body language, no matter which culture or country we’re talking about, has meaning. In Arab culture it tends to have a little extra significance, making greetings just a tad tricky. If you are shaking hands, extend your right hand and hold the other person’s hand loosely, but for longer. Greet close friends and colleagues with a hug and kiss on both cheeks, but only if they’re the same sex! If you greet the opposite sex this way you risk offending. [I’d say that most of the time women do it and men shake hands but I might be wrong]

7] Tea and coffee are key

Food and drink are centre points around which almost every culture in the world revolves [true]. Arab culture is no different and Arabs take their love for tea and coffee in particular to a whole new level. In the Arab world, tea plays a huge role in society as it can be served when a host wishes to show hospitality to a guest, or as an integral part of business meetings. Coffee, too, is extremely important and is drunk after almost every meal [that’s exaggeration!]

8] Time is not of the essence!

Western culture is, in general, much more fast-paced than Arab. In the US or UK, you might be accustomed to checking your watch and rushing from one place to the next, but if you try to do this in an Arab country, your counterpart will find it hugely insulting! Checking your watch tells your host or guest that you are too busy for them or don’t consider them worthy of your time. Better to just put that watch away and avoid the habit or temptation altogether!

9] There are 22 countries in the Arab League [Some are surprising!]

They are: Algeria, Bahrain, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates and finally Yemen!

Wow! I’m going to admit that I didn’t think Comoros, Djibouti, Mauritania and Somalia were on that list, but here they are!

Thanks for reading! If you’ve liked this post, tell me and I’ll be glad to make more of these in the future! Feel free to comment below if you have anything you’d like to share with us! Have a Great Evening! ;D

Lesson 59

https://archive.ph/mfW9a

Hello Everyone! Since it’s important to have knowledge about the countries around you, and I also found that posting facts was quite interesting too, the next 22 lessons will be dedicated to an Arabic country. These are facts I’ve searched online so hopefully they should be quite accurate. Enjoy! ;D

I’ve decided to go in alphabetical order, so first up is… Algeria!

Algeria is a vast country in North Africa [huge]. Algiers is the capital and most populated city in Algeria. The country is inhabited by more than 40 million people. Here are some interesting facts about Algeria:

1#Algeria is the largest African nation with 2,381,741 km2 of total area.

2#The country was Indigenously inhabited by Berbers. … Berbers! How could you?! Sorry guys, they meant Amazigh people ;p

3#The country’s oil reserves are ranked the 16th largest globally and its natural gas reserves are the 9th biggest worldwide.

4#Algeria’s national oil company Sonatrach is Africa’s largest.

5#The nation’s defense budget is the highest in Africa and its military is among Africa’s largest.

6#Umayyad Caliphate is a group of Muslim Arabs who established their rule in Algeria in mid-7th century and introduced Islam in the country.

7#Between 1620 and 1621, the city of Algiers was struck by a plague and an estimated 30,000 to 50,000 of its inhabitants died from the deadly infection. :’(

8#Christians were extensively captured and enslaved in the country or sold in slave markets until the early 19th century.

9#The Issaouane Erg in Algeria is part of the vast Sahara Desert.

10#The country has many species of birds and it is a haven for bird watchers.

11#Various species of animals that once inhabited the country such as the Barbary lion and Atlas bears are now extinct.

12#The government of Algeria imposes huge restrictions on press freedom and violation of the rules results in cancellation of the respective firms’ licenses.

13#It is illegal to publicly display homosexuality in Algeria.

14#The country has a total of 1,541 municipalities or counties within its 533 districts.

15#Camels are extensively used in Algeria. I’m sure we all knew that!

16#Algeria’s inflation rate of 4% is the lowest among the North African states.

17#Along the Mediterranean, Algeria is approximated to have the highest potential for solar energy.

18#There are more than 780 research laboratories in the country and more than 20,000 research-based professors within Algeria.

19#Unemployment in the country mostly affects women and youth. The rate of unemployment for young people of 15-24 years is 21.5%.

20#The country is home to many UNESCO World Heritage Sites such as the limestone Valley of M’Zab.

21#The country’s road network with a highway length of approximately 180,000 kilometers is denser than that of any other African country.

22#70% of Algeria’s lawyers and 60% of the judges in the country are female.

23#Most of the migrants from the country are in France, with the total number estimated at 1.7 million.

24#More than 11.2 million Algerians can write and read in French. probably because of the French rule

25#Ahlam Mosteghanemi, who is the most successful female novelist among the Arabs, is from Algeria. Oops I don’t know who that even is XD I was thinking of the singer!

26#The 1957 literature Nobel laureate Albert Camus was born in Algeria. I don’t know this guy either XDD All I now know is Shakespeare and Dickens!

Wow! 26 facts about Algeria and ends on the colour orange! [like that matters] Hope you’ve enjoyed them! Feel free to comment below if you have any thoughts on these [or if they may be out-of-date or something]

Have a Lovely Day guys! :D And cheers to Algeria from England!

Lesson 60

https://archive.ph/z7hmx

Hello! Today we’re flying from North Africa to the Persian Gulf, to a lovely country called Bahrain! Enjoy! ;)

1# Bahrain is the smallest country in the Middle East and is Asia’s third smallest country, covering an area of only 295 square miles.

2# The country was originally made up of 33 islands, but intensive land reclamation has increased this figure to 84 islands. Land reclamation also increased the country’s land area by 38 square miles.

3# Bahrain has a coastline stretching 100 miles and does not border any country by land.

4# Only 2.82% of the country’s land is arable, and agriculture is reliant on irrigation.

5# July and August are Bahrain’s hottest months of the year, while January and February are the country’s wettest months.

6# Coastal degradation and desertification are the country's two key environmental concerns.

7# Manama is the capital city of Bahrain and is also its largest city.

8# The country gets its name from the Arabic word “al-Bahrayn” which is loosely translates to “the two seas.”

9# Until the Middle Ages, "Bahrain" represented the Eastern Arabia region.

10# In the Bronze Age Bahrain was inhabited by the Dilmun civilization.

11# Bahrain was historically famed for its pearl fisheries, which were considered to be among the best in the world.

12# Several ancient kingdoms conquered ancient Bahrain including the Babylonians and the Assyrians.

13# The ancient Greeks knew Bahrain as Tylos, which at the time was renowned for its cotton trees and textile industry.

14# In the 5th century, Christianity was a dominant religion in Bahrain.

15# Bahrain fell under Islamic rule after the 7th-century Expedition of Zaid ibn Haritha, which was sanctioned by Prophet Muhammad.

16# Bahrain was ruled by the Portuguese for 80 years after capturing the islands in 1521.

17# The islands officially became a British colony in 1892.

18# Bahrain was involved in World War II and sent troops to aid the Allied Forces.

19# The country gained independence from British colonial rule in 1971 and became a member of both the Arab League and the United Nations.

20# The government of Bahrain is a constitutional monarchy, and King Hamad is the head of state.

21# The current prime minister of Bahrain is the longest serving prime minister in the world, holding the title since 1971.

22# Bahrain is one of the few countries in the Middle East in which women have the right to vote and vie for elective positions.

So 22 facts to add to your bag! Be strong for there will [hopefully] be more coming tomorrow! Until then, have a great night! [If you were in Bahrain, it’d be around 11]

Any more facts, please share them! ;D

Return to “Language”