Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Vietnamese question structure

Fnirk1
Sweden

[ARCHIVE] Vietnamese question structure

Post by Fnirk1 »

Originally posted by: Huy_Ngo on Duolingo Archived here

How to ask it Vietnamese

Xin chào các bạn! Hello everyone!

Unlike many other Vietnamese Duolingan (new word I made) here, I don't take Vietnamese course to check the quality, so I don't know if there is enough detailed references on lessons, but I have read the comments. As I was browsing comments on lessons in Vietnamese courses, I see that many people here are still confused by Vietnamese question structure (as well as many other parts of Vietnamese language). I don't decline that, Vietnamese is a hard language, and I'd say it is among the hardest (in common languages only, of courses). Therefore, I'll start posting references on Vietnamese grammar (maybe some other part).

Wh-question

The so-called Wh-question in Vietnamese can be divided into 10 types (way too many):

• Who: Ai
  • What Cái gì (also: Cây gì, Con gì, ...)
  • What does... do: Làm gì
  • How: (như) thế nào
  • Where: **(Ở) đâu
  • **When: Khi nào (also: Lúc nào, bao giờ, ...)
  • How (instrumental): Bằng gì (also: ...như thế nào, Làm thế nào
  • Why (reason): Tại (also: Vì sao, Vì lý do gì, ...)
  • Why (purpose), or to be more precise, What for: Để làm gì
  • Which: [CLASSIFIER] nào

To make a Wh-question in Vietnamese, you simply replace the word that answer the question.

E.g.
Cô ấy là Hồng. --> Cô ấy là ai?
Cô ấylà. --> Ai llà?

Đó là một cái cây. --> Đó là ?
Anh ấy là/làm giáo viên. --> Anh ấy là/làm gì? (occupation is treated as an object)

Nó đang học bài. --> Nó đang làm gì?

Khu rừng này rất rộng. --> Khu rừng này (như) thế nào?

Ti đang ở trường. --> Bạn đang ở đâu?

Ngày mai trời mưa. --> Khi nào trời mưa?

Tôi đến trường bằng xe đạp. --> Bạn đến trường bằng gì?/Bạn đến trường như thế nào/Làm thế nào bạn đến trường
(Note that these Wh-words must be in the places)

Ti không thích Văn (bởi/tại) vì nó quá khó. --> Vì sao/Tại sao/Sao bạn không thích Văn?
(Note that the Wh-word in this type should be at the beginning)

Tôi nói để bạn biết. --> Tại sao bạn nói?/Bạn nói để làm gì?
Tôi viết tắt (để) cho nhanh. --> Tại sao bạn viết tắt?/Bạn viết tắt để làm gì?

Tôi đến từ Việt Nam. --> Bạn đến từ nước nào?/ Bạn đến từ đâu?
Tôi thích quả bóng này. --> Bạn thích quả bóng nào?
Tôi thích thịt luộc. --> Bạn thích món nào?

Or questions

Although there are two synonyms for "or", hay and hoặc, but only hay is used in Or questions. It is replaced at exactly the same place as in statements.
E.g.
Đây là mít hoặc sầu riêng. --> Đây là mít hay (là) sầu riêng?
(This is jackfruit or durian. --> Is this jackfruit or durian?)

Yes/No questions

There are mainly two ways to form a Yes/no question in Vietnamese:

Way 1: Adding À/(PHẢI) KHÔNG (questionous word) to the end of the sentence

A positive word (có) can be place before the verb if there is no adverb (called phó từ in Vietnamese): đang, đã, sẽ, rất, chưa, ... before the verb.

E.g.
Bạn (có) biết về Ngô Bảo Châu không?
Bạn (có) thích đọc Harry Potter không?
Bạn (có) đi chơi không? (NOTE: different from Bạn đi chơi à/phải không?)
Bạn chưa ăn sáng à/phải không? (NOT Bạn có chưa ăn sáng à?)
Bạn (có) phải làm bài thuyết trình không?

The difference between à, phải không and không here:

• không can only be used for thích (like), yêu (love), biết (know), phải (must), nên (should), cần (need) or else it will be the questions of choice. The former sentence in the third line means "Do you like to go out?", while the latter means "Are you going out?".
  • phải không can be preceded with a comma, while the other two cannot.
  • à and phải không is more like tag question in English. Let's take the last sentence: If you use à or phải không, it means you think it is more likely that the other person have to do the presentation.
  • There is also a word "á", which is filled up with surprise. "Bạn biết tiếng Pháp á?" would mean "You know French, really?".

Way 2: Just make a rising tone at the end of the question, like what you do in English.

Nothing to note.

E.g. Bạn biết tiếng Pháp?

Negative questions

If you don't like beer, how would you answer this:
Don't you like beer?
You'd say "No", right?

In Vietnamese, that's different.
Bạn thích bia à? = Do you like beer? (Normal question)
If you like it: "Có" is unnatural here. You should say "Ừ" (for those who are equal or younger than you) or "Vâng" (for those who are older than you).
If you don't like it: "Không"

Bạn không thích bia à? = Don't you like beer? (Negative question, note that you can't use "không" here as a questionous word)
If you like it: "Có", or even "Có chứ", but you can also say "Không"
If you don't like it: "Ừ"/"Vâng" is preferred here, but you can also say "Không"

Look, Vietnamese is ambiguous. I agree. Even a native speaker sometimes need to ask again if someone say "Không". To be clear, you can say "Không, có chứ" if you like or "Không, tôi không thích" if you don't. If you just say "Không", it is more likely that you will be assumed to like it than not to like it

Return to “Vietnamese”