Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] [SASSYandsisters] Arabic Word of the Day [31-40]

Moderators: The_lost, Jacko079

Jacko079
United States of America

[ARCHIVE] [SASSYandsisters] Arabic Word of the Day [31-40]

Post by Jacko079 »

These posts were originally written by SASSYandsisters.

Lesson 31

https://archive.ph/y7Djf

*Today we're going to go through how we can use the numbers we've just learnt to add to our sentences:

*First of all I want to go through how to say our age:

*(عمري ... سنة ) "3umree... sana" = I am ... years old - "3umree" means "my age is" and "sana" means 'year'. So if we say "3umree sab3ata 3ashar sana" we are technically saying "My age is seventeen year". Some people will use 'years' (سنوات) "Sanawaat" instead of "sana" which is singular. As of memory, I don't think it matters if you use singular when you are saying your age.

*Now we're going to go all the way back to step 1 in our learning process. We're going to introduce ourselves again but with better vocabulary than we did before. Hopefully we still remember this! (don't forget to keep looking back at things we've gone through or you'll forget everything). Here's an example to get us started:

*مرحبا إسمي مازن وعمري ثلاثة عشر سنة. أنا أصلا من لبنان لكن أعيش في فرنسا. لدي شعر أسود و طويل. أنا قصير و نحيل و لدي عيون خضراء

*"Marhaban ismee maazin wa 3umree thalaathata 3ashar sana. Anaa aslan min lubnaan lakin a3eesh fee faransaa. Laday'a sha3r aswad wa taweel. Anaa qaseer wa naheel wa laday'a 3uyoon khadraa' "

*Try to translate this ^ alone before you read the translation! :

*Hello my name is Masen and I am thirteen years old. I am originally from Lebanon but I live in France. I have long, black hair. I am short and slim and I have green eyes.

*Now the next thing I'd want to describe is my family. Here's a phrase we can use to start describing our family:

*في أسرتي هناك .... أشخاص. و هم = "Fee usratee hunaaka.... ashkhaas^. Wa hum..." = In my family there are.... people. And they are... - So there's a few words we don't know here: "usratee" means "my family". "Hunaaka" means "there is/are"and "Ashkhaas^" means "people". Also, in English, we tend to prefer not to start a sentence with "and", but in Arabic it is common to find a sentence start with "and".

*So now we can add this to our intro:

*في أسرتي هناك خمسة أشخاص. و هم : أبي، أمي، أخي، أختي و أنا = "Fee usratee hunaaka khamsa ashkhaas^. Wa hum: abee, umee, akhee, ukhtee wa anaa" = In my family there are five people. And they are: my dad, my mum, my brother, my sister and me.

*Now we can describe our family:

*أبي طبيب و يعمل في مستشفى أما أمي فهي معلمة و تعمل في مدرسة = "Abee tabeeb wa ya3mal fee mustashfaa amaa umee fahiya mu3alima wa ta3mal fee madrasa" = My dad is a doctor and he works in a hospital whereas my mum is a teacher and she works in a school.

*Now I was going to explain that but I'm gone to eat so bare with me ;p I'll continue this lesson tomorrow I promise!

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Improvements, Please comment below and I'll reply as soon as I'm done stuffing myself! (I should do an Arabic food lesson at some point!) Bye I'm going! Have a Nice Sleep! Hope the zombies don't find you! ;D

Lesson 32

https://archive.ph/LWivV

*Hey guys! today we're going to continue our review from yesterday's post [https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/32316302] we were introducing ourselves I think:

*So we got here where I gave an example on describing our family:

*أبي طبيب و يعمل في مستشفى أما أمي فهي معلمة و تعمل في مدرسة = Abee tabeeb wa ya3mal fee mustashfaa amaa umee fahiya mu3alima wa ta3mal fee madrasa" = My dad is a doctor and he works in a hospital whereas my mum is a teacher and she works in a school.

*So we already know how to say what job we do (if we do one). All we say is "Anaa..." and one of the jobs we went through in a previous lesson. Now to talk about someone else (in our family for example), we simply just change the subject. So if we were to say "she is a nurse" we'll take off "anaa" and replace it with "Hiya" meaning "she", and then we'd add "mumaridha" (nurse). Remember in Arabic there is NO words for "is" or "a".

*Now we haven't done a lesson on how to change from "I do" to "He does" and "She does" and so on... Today I'll explain this briefly and maybe explain this concept in a separate post tomorrow.

*So our verb is "A3mal". We all know that means 'I work'. Now to change a verb's subject to "he" or "she", we look at the beginning of the word. Now if we take off the "a" from "A3mal", we are left with "3amal". "3amal" means 'work'. So therefore the letter "A" at the beginning of a verb, indicates that this verb is about the narrator. When we want to change from "I" to "he", we take off the "a" at the beginning so we're left with the "stem" of the word, and replace it with "ya". So "he works" is "Ya3mal". Similarly, if we want to say "she works", we take off the "A" and add "ta". So she works is "Ta3mal". This works with any verb so in short: "ya" for "he", "ta" for "she" and "a" for "I".

Now the next word we don't know already in this passage is "فهي" (fahiya). In fact, we know this word already. It means "she". Now above I wrote "Hiya" means "she". All we've done here is added "fa" before it. Why? Well whenever you use 'whereas', the next verb must have "fa" before it. In this case we say "whereas my mum is a teacher"; she is* a teacher, so it is the verb "to be", so we add "fa" before the verb which is "hiya". (If you need a better explanation of this, comment below cus I know it isn't the neatest explanation).

*Now we add on to this passage about our parents. We can maybe describe our parents using adjectives. Here's an example:

*أبي صارم لكن مضحك. أما أمي، فهي جميلة و ممتعة = "Abee saarim lakin mudh'hik. Amaa umee, fahiya jameela wa mumti3a" = My dad is strict but funny. Whereas my mum is beautiful and fun.

*So the only word we haven't gone through here is "saarim". It means strict. If the subject is a female we add "a" at the end.

*Next we will describe our siblings. Here's an example:

*أخي إسمه بلال. هو مزعج و أناني. أختي، إسمها زينب و هي لطيفة معي = "Akhee ismuhu Bilaal. Huwa muz3ij wa anaanee. Ukhtee ismuhaa Zaynab wa hiya lateefa ma3ee" = My brother is called Bilal. He is annoying and selfish. My sister is called Zaynab and she is nice to me.

*Now here we are describing others. We already know how to say our names "Ismee" (My name is...). "Ism" means 'name'. So therefore "ee" is what makes it about the narrator. Whenever we want to say something belongs to Ourself, we add "ee" to the 'stem'. When we want to say something belongs to a boy we add "uhu", and to a girl we add "uhaa". So with a verb, we look at the beginning of the word, and with a noun, we look at the ending.

*So here's our summary paragraph from yesterday added to today:

*مرحبا إسمي مازن وعمري ثلاثة عشر سنة. أنا أصلا من لبنان لكن أعيش في فرنسا. لدي شعر أسود و طويل. أنا قصير و نحيل و لدي عيون خضراء. في أسرتي هناك خمسة أشخاص. و هم : أبي، أمي، أخي، أختي و أنا. أبي طبيب و يعمل في مستشفى أما أمي فهي معلمة و تعمل في مدرسة. أبي صارم لكن مضحك. أما أمي، فهي جميلة و ممتعة. أخي إسمه بلال. هو مزعج و أناني. أختي، إسمها زينب و هي لطيفة معي

*Marhaban ismee Maazin wa 3umree thalaathata 3ashar sana. Anaa aslan min Lubnaan lakin a3eesh fee Faransa. Laday'a sha3r aswad wa taweel. Anaa qaseer wa naheel wa laday'a 3uyoon khadraa'. Fee usratee hunaaka khamsa ash'khaas^. Wa hum: abee, umee, akhee, ukhtee wa anaa. Abee tabeeb wa ya3mal fee mustashfaa amaa umee fahiya mu3alima wa ta3mal fee madrasa. Abee saarim lakin mudh'hik. Amaa umee, fahiya jameela wa mumti3a. Akhee ismuhu Bilaal. Huwa muz3ij wa anaanee. Ukhtee ismuhaa Zaynab wa hiya lateefa ma3ee.

*Hello my name is Masen and I am thirteen years old. I am originally from Lebanon but I live in France. I have long, black hair. I am short and slim and I have green eyes. In my family there are five people. And they are: my dad, my mum, my brother, my sister and me. My dad is a doctor and he works in a hospital whereas my mum is a teacher and she works in a school. My dad is strict but funny. Whereas my mum is beautiful and fun. My brother is called Bilal. He is annoying and selfish. My sister is called Zaynab and she is nice to me.

*Now if you can do that^, that's an achievement! You can use my example as a template if you wish and you can make your own one.

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements, I'm Here! Have a Nice... Umm 8:33 night? Well it depends where you live! Oh 34 now! ;D

Lesson 33

https://archive.ph/l0e2d

*Hallo! Today we're going to look at sports:

الرياضة

*"Sports" in Arabic is 'Ariyaadha' - today's title ^ . Now you may have noticed that there's a "l" in the spelling but in the transcription I've written, there is no 'l'. The 'l' is silent here so don't pronounce it. OK Let's start! :

*كرة القدم = "Kurat alqadam" = Football - So "kurat" means "ball" and "alqadam" means "the foot" so yeah, great imagination! Also, you may notice that although 'كرة ' ends in a silent "t", it is pronounced. This is because the next word starts with an 'a' so we can't say "kura alqadam". So normally "ball" is pronounced "kura" not "kurat".

*كرة السلة = "Kurat as'sala" = Basketball - "as'sala" means 'basket'.

*كرة المضرب = "Kurat almadhrib" = Tennis - "almadhrib" means 'the racquet'

*كرة الطاولة = "Kurat ataawila" = Table tennis - "ataawila" means 'the table'

*كرة الطائرة = "Kurat ataa'ira" = Volleyball - "ataa'ira" means 'the plane'. You know... a plane flies and the ball flies over the net... Get the link?... nvm.

*كرة اليد = "Kurat alyad" = Handball - "alyad" means 'the hand'

*كرة الشبكة = "Kurat ash'abaka" = Netball - "Ash'abaka" means 'the net'

*الجمباز = "Aljimbaaz" = Gymnastics

*السباحة = "As'ibaaha" = Swimming

*الجري = "Aljaree" = Running

*ركوب الخيل = "Rukoob alkhayl" = Horse - riding - "rukoob" means 'riding' and "alkhayl" means 'the horse'.

*الملاكمة = "Almulaakama" = Boxing - Technically means 'punching' (which is true, I personally think it's one of the stupidest sports but anyways...)

*المصارعة = "Almusaara3a" = Wrestling - Came from the word "صراع" (siraa3) meaning, 'struggle' and 'conflict' (and I struggle to find the point of this so-called "sport")

*الهوكي = "Alhokee" = Hockey (just add 'al' before hockey and you're fine)

*الرماية = "Ar'imaaya" = Archery - Comes form the word 'رمي' (ramee) meaning 'to throw'.

*التزلج = "At'tazaluj" = Skating

*التزحلق = "At'tazahluq" = Skiing

*التزلج على الجليد = "At'tazaluj 3ala aljaleed" = Ice skating - We know "at'tazaluj" is 'skating' and "3ala" means 'on'. So "jaleed" means 'Ice', therefore it technically means "skating on ice".

*ركوب الأمواج = "Rukoob al'amwaaj" = Surfing - "Al'amwaaj" means 'the waves' so it technically means "riding the waves" which sounds cool

*OK I think that's enough [turns to blank-faced students]. I admit there is a lot of long, difficult ones in this list. Just make sure you remember the popular ones like 'football' and 'basketball' and you'll be fine.

*Now to say we play/do a sport, we say:

*ألعب = Al3ab = I play

*أمارس = Umaaris = I practice (I do)

*So any sports that involve a ball so any ball games, you use "al3ab". Any sports that don't, you use "umaaris".

So here's an example:

*ألعب كرة السلة = "Al3ab kurat as'sala" = I play basketball

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements, I'm here exercising my fingers on the forum! ;p Have a Nice Evening! ;D

Lesson 34

https://archive.ph/yOUeT

*こんにちは ! Today we're going to look at clothing so let's begin:

*In Arabic, the word for "clothes" is "Malaabis" (ملابس). Luckily it is easy to pronounce! ;) There's also "Thiyaab" (ثياب) which also means "clothes", but I think it's less common and probably harder to pronounce but you can use it too.

*قميص = "Qamees" = Shirt - Similar to the Spanish "Camisa" and Italian "Camicia".

*سروال = "Sirwaal" = Trouser

بنطلون = "Bantalon" = Trouser - This is similar to the French "pantalon" (also in Spanish and Italian etc...) We can see a lot of borrowing (I don't know who copied the other but yeah I'm guessing it started somewhere in Europe because I think Arabs always wore long garments or something because of the warm weather). Both words for "trouser" are common but I think it depends where you live.

*معطف = "Mi3taf" = Coat

*جاكت = "Jaakit" = Jacket. I think there are other words for "jacket" but no-one really uses those words.

*فستان = "Fustaan" = Dress

*تنورة = "Tan'noora" = Skirt

*سروال قصير = "Sirwaal qaseer" = Shorts - "Sirwaal" means 'trousers' ^ and if you can remember, "qaseer" means 'short'. So you can tell it means "short trousers". Imaginative Arabs.

*وشاح = "Wishaah^ " = Scarf

*قبعة = "Quba3a" = Hat

*قفاز = "Qufaaz" = Glove

*حذاء = "Hithaa' " = Shoe - Ahthiya = Shoes

*(جورب) = "Jawrab" = Sock - "Jawaarib" = Socks

*حزام = "Hizaam" = Belt

*ربطة عنق = "Rabtat 3unuq^" = Necktie (tie) - "rabta" means 'tie' and "3unuq^" means 'neck'

*So now we can describe clothes using colours:

*سروال أسود و قميص أزرق و أحمر = "Sirwaal aswad wa qamees azraq^ wa ahmar" = A black trouser and a blue and red shirt.

*Don't forget that adjectives in Arabic always go after the noun!

*If you've realised that you've forgotten the colours you'll find it (and any other previous lessons) here:[https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/31999313]

*Last but not least: "ألبس" (albas) or "أرتدي" (artadee) can be used to say "I wear". So if we want to describe what we wear or are wearing we can say:

*أرتدي سروال أسود، قميص أزرق و أحمر و معطف رمادي = Artadee sirwaal aswad, qamees azraq^ wa ahmar wa mi3taf ramaadee" = I wear black trousers, a blue and red shirt, and a grey coat.

*That's it for today! Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof -reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements, I'm open! ;) Have a Nice Evening! Cya ;D

Lesson 35

https://archive.ph/W6Qzc

ASL (waving hand)

...Today we're going to look at:

ASL (pretending to eat food) FOOD!

*So first we're going to start with normal food. What I mean by that, is food everyone will know like fruit and fish etc... Then maybe in another post I'll do a post on Arabic food (I don't know much from other cultures so I might need some help from other natives here ;p ). If this is long then this might spread over a couple of posts ;)

*Let's begin! Firstly 'food' in Arabic is "طعام" (ta3aam). This is the one word you have no excuse to neglect in pronunciation! If you do, you'll have an hour after school! Now get practicing! ;p

*فواكه = "Fawaakih" = Fruit - Make sure you pronounce the "h". In English we tend to make it silent, but in Arabic we don't.

*خضروات / خضراوات = "Khudrawaat" = Vegetables - There's two spellings of this for some reason. Some people spell "khudrawaat" with two alifs, and some don't. Since we are focusing on speech, this shouldn't matter too much.

*أناناس = "Anaanaas" (Ananas) = Pineapples - The same word found in 41 other languages, but originated in Spain or Portugal

*تفاح = "Tufaah^" = Apples

*موز = "Mawz" = Bananas - Apparently a banana is a berry! [funfact]

*برتقال = "Burtuqaal" = Oranges - Remember the colours? Yep it's very similar to the colour "orange". The pronunciation actually sounds a bit like Portugal in Arabic: "Alburtughaal". I recall a time when I used to have an Arabic teacher, and he told the class the reason why 'oranges' sounded like Portugal. He said: " At the time when Arabs took over Spain area, they used to get oranges from Portugal and oranges were called "Burtuqaal" so they used to call Portugal their 'back garden where they get 'Alburtuqaal' hence the name 'Alburtughaal' ". Anyways that was a laugh, I didn't really believe that (cus I was a smart kid fff) though some people did. He was either making it as a joke, or generally meant it (I mean no offence he didn't look like the sharpest stone). Anyways, sorry for bringing in my boring life into this, but maybe it could help you remember how to say "Portugal in Arabic.

*بطيخ = "Biteekh" = Watermelons - mmm :3

*طماطم = "Tamaatim" = Tomatoes - A FRUIT!

*بطاطس = "Bataatis" = Potatoes - If you're British you'll live on this XD JK

*جزر = "Jazar" = Carrots

*خيار = "Khiyaar" = Cucumbers - Also means 'option'. Same spelling. Same pronunciation. Completely different meaning! :o [sigh] you're going to have to infer from the speech to know which one they're talking about

*(عنب) = "3inab" = Grapes

*خوخ / دراق = "Duraak^ / Khookh" = Peach - "Khookh" is much more common and it sounds funny lol - I recommend you read "James and the Giant Peach" (Roald Dahl) if you haven't read it already (childhood memories lol)

*فراولة = "Faraawila" = Strawberries

*كرز = "Karaz" = Cherries - Easy to pronounce and yum!

*بروكلي = "Brokoli" = Broccoli - Kawaii little trees!! :3 [bites their head off]

*كوسة = "Kosa" = Courgette, Zucchini whatever you want to call it! I call it horse food! >_< yuk muk! (whoever likes this needs to fix their taste buds! no offence ;p)

*توت العليق = "Toot al3ulayq^" = Raspberries

*بصل = "Basal" = Onions

*جوز = "Jawz" = Nuts

*جوز الهند = "Jawz alhind" = Coconuts - "jawz" means "nuts" and "alhind" means "India". So maybe coconuts reached Arabia via India?

*And I'm going to finish this list with the famous Arabic "تمر" (tamr) meaning 'dates' (as in the one you eat - before an annoying child asks!).

*So there! Here's some fruit and vegetables to begin with. If I've missed out a particular craving you have, please comment below and I'll answer as soon as possible! (I admit I'm not the type of person who has the talent of being on time).

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Improvements, I'll be washing the "tamr" ready for half-nine! Hmm 6 hours left... ;p Tomorrow we'll be continuing our food journey so be there on time!

Also, any natives or anyone know any Arabic food from across Arabia please note below that would be very appreciated as I only live between my walls! ;D Thanks! Have a Great Afternoon CYA [I wonder if the GIFs worked? let's see! Edit; Nope it didn't]

Lesson 36

https://archive.ph/igNRq

*γεια σας ! Today we're going to continue our food journey! [cheer] yesterday we started learning the names of some fruit and veg, so today we'll have a change of focus. Let's Eat!:

*Since yesterday was all about being vegetarian, which I reply "Is a big misteak"... Get the pun? ... No?... Nvm...;p .... today we'll start with being a carnivore! :

*So in Arabic the word for 'Meat' is "لحم" (Lahm).

*دجاج = "Dajaaj" = Chickens (pl - we're not talking about a specific chicken so obviously we're going to use plural)

*غنم / خروف = "Kharoof / Ghanam" = (Both mean) Sheep - In English, we tend to say "lamb meat" even though actually the meat is of a sheep not a lamb (I mean killing a lamb for its meat is pointless as it wouldn't have much meat anyways - lol savage thoughts). However in Arabic, we call a chunk of meat what it is. So if it's actually 'sheep meat' we will say "Lahm kharoof". If it was actual lamb meat then we'd say "Lahm hamal"; "hamal" means 'lamb'.

*ماعز = "Maa3iz" = Goats

*لحم بقر = "Lahm baqar" = Beef - So we know "lahm" means 'meat' so "baqar" means "cows". So "lahm baqar" is "cows' meat" or just 'beef'.

*لحم خنزير = "Lahm khinzeer" = Pork - Now you probably won't find that in much Arabic stores or restaurants but hey! We can use this still. So as you've probably guessed "Khinzeer" means 'pig'. Oh and guess what? It is quite an insult to be called a pig (especially in Arabia) so I guess you've got another insult up your sleeves! :D Use it wisely!

*بط = "Bat^" = Ducks (hmm hmm not for eating! I've already had to change my profile pic because my co-worker tried to eat me!)

*أوز = "Iwaz" = Geese

*ديك رومي = "Deek roomee" = Turkey (as in the bird!!)

*So now, I think it's about time we tried to make a sentence! And while we do this, I must warn you that a few rules may pop out of their hiding place!

*Now let’s think. If I wanted to say, for example, "I eat chicken but I don't eat sheep meat ", what would I say? [take a guess before you continue reading]...

*I'd say this: "أنا أكل الدجاج لكن لا أكل لحم الغنم" = "Anaa akul aldajaaj lakin laa akul lahm alghanam" = I eat chicken but I don't eat sheep meat.

*Now we already went through important verbs like "I eat" in one of the previous posts (post 22 I think). “I eat” is “Anaa akul” or just “Akul” (optional). So really, the only thing that we might’ve dropped on, is the use of “Al” before the nouns. Now “Al”, as we already know, means ‘the’. Whenever you ever see “al” at the beginning of a word, you should instantly know that it means “the …”

*So technically, when we say the example above^, we are in fact saying “I eat the chickens but I don’t eat the sheep meat”. In English, we tend to say “I eat chicken” about a group of chickens even though there is a plural form but we decide not to use it for some reason. When we say “I eat chicken”, we are talking about chickens in general. It’s not like we eat a certain chicken. In the Arabic translation we are adding ‘the’ before the nouns. But this doesn’t make sense in English because we are talking in general, not specifically. However, in the Arabic, we know they are in plural form so we know that it isn’t about a chicken, it’s just about chickens.

*So in short: Whenever you use a noun in Arabic you must add “Al” before the noun unless it belongs to someone! (If you need an explanation in basic English, comment below and I’ll try to explain that again)

*So let’s do more practice, here’s some more examples bringing in some of yesterday’s knowledge:

*لا أكل اللحم لكن أكل الفواكه والخضروات = "Laa akul al'lahm lakin akul alfawaakih wa alkhudrawaat" = I don't eat meat but I eat fruit and vegetables

*أنا أكل البطيخ = "Anaa akul albiteekh" = I eat watermelon

*أنا لا أكل لحم البط أو الفطر = "Anaa laa akul lahm albat^ aw alfutr" = I don't eat duck meat or mushrooms! (this is for my co-worker btw ;p)

*Thanks for Reading (I know it was quite long)! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements, I will be trying to find a better pun to crack next time ;p JK Did you guys seriously not get it?! [sigh] Have a Nice Evening! ;D

Lesson 37

https://archive.ph/qB5WY

*UGH! Why do I have to retype this lesson again?! Oh wait what?! You've started recording?....Hmmhmm....

*你好 ! Today we're going to continue our food journey, and hopefully we'll be able to finish this today! So yesterday was a trip to the carnivore world, and the day before that was the journey through the land of greens, so today we'll just do the finishing touches! (I'm afraid nice food might be coming up!) so let's begin ...

*Oh wait sorry! :3 I forgot to tell you guys an important word yesterday! "سمك" (Samak) means 'fish' (pl) so make sure to add that to your list!

*Now we may begin ...

*What you might have for dinner or lunch:

*خبز = "Khubz" = Bread

*أرز = "Aruz" = Rice - Originally an Arabic word, then borrowed to make "Arroz", the Spanish word for rice (that's useful for me when learning Spanish ;p)

*معكرونة = "Ma3karona" = Spaghetti/Pasta - Although this is Italian food, it is so good it has reached every corner in the globe! It is very common in some of parts of Arabia so it would be useful to know this word.

*بيتزا = "Bitza" = Pizza - Another Italian popular food! Since you find this almost everywhere in the world, you should know this one! (Luckily, it is pretty much the same pronunciation, just "b" instead of "p" and "tz" instead of double z).

*حساء = "Hasaa' " = Soup - You could say a specific soup using our previous lesson. So if we wanted to say 'tomato soup', we will say "حساء الطماطم " (Hasaa' altamaatim). Remember, "tomato" is "tamaatim"! So when we say tomato soup, tomato becomes the adjective and in Arabic, the adjective always goes after the noun!

*سمك و بطاطس = "Samak wa bataatis" = Fish and chips - So all we did here, is take the word for fish (samak) and the word for potato (bataatis) and connected them together with and (wa).

*Breakfast:

*حبوب الإفطار = "Huboob al'iftaar" = Cereal - "Huboob" means 'grains' and "al'iftaar" means "the breakfast" so it basically means 'Grains of the Breakfast", which is kinda weird imo

*فطائر = "Fataa'ir" = Pancakes

*زبدة = "Zubda" = Butter

*مربى = "Muraba" = Jam

*(عسل) = "3asal" = Honey - Don't kill the bees!... Run away instead ;p

*بيض = "Bayd^" = Eggs

*So if you want to say "bread and butter" or "bread with butter", you would either say "Alkhubz wa alzubda" or "Alkhubz ma3a alzubda". "Ma3a" means 'with'.

*Now to some sugary stuff! :D

*سكاكر = "Sakaakir" = Sweets / Candy OR حلوى = "Halwa" = Sweets/Dessert <- This one is more common

*شوكولا = <sub>"Shokulaa"</sub> = Chocolate - (Transcription is difficult for this one sorry)

*حلويات = "Halawiyaat" = Confectionary - Any sweet dish really. Varying from candy to desserts and cake

*كعك = "Ka3k" = Cakes - Sometimes referred to as cookies and biscuits, but mainly used for cakes

*بسكويت = "Baskaweet" = Biscuits (cookies if you're American)

*مثلجات = "Muthalajaat" = Ice cream/ Sundaes

*(علكة) = "3ilka" = Gum (as in the one you chew!)

*Finally we're going to finish of with drinks! :

*ماء = "Maa' " = Water - Although yes, it does sound like the weird sound a sheep makes, please don't start pretending you're a sheep in front of an Arab (like some idiots did in my Arabic class! - I think that's disrespectful... but hey! You could practice using this idea ;p)

*(عصير) = "3aseer" = Juice - If you want to say Apple Juice for example, you'll say "3aseer tufaah^", the type of juice after the word "3aseer"!

*مشروبات غازية = "Mashroobaat ghaaziya" = Soft drinks/Fizzy drinks - "Mashroobaat" means "drinks" and "ghaaziya" means "gassy". Cus you know, when you open a fizzy drink it lets out a fart heheh sorry lol I had to add that

*زبادي = "Zabaadee" = Yogurt - Not really a drink but I didn't know where to add it so...

• Wow that was long! If you can remember all of it then you're a genius! I should make my posts shorter (especially when they don't post hmm hmm! at the end of typing them!!)

*Anyways... Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Improvements to be made, then I'm open! Have a Nice Time! :D [this time I'm gonna copy and paste it in case it decides to not post again!]

Lesson 38

https://archive.ph/k53O9

*UGHH! I would so appreciate it if these posts would actually POST instead of me having to do them twice for them to ACTUALLY POST! :((( [sigh]

*Merhaba! Sorry I'm super late! Today we're going to be starting a new topic! Let's start quickly cus I've had enough of retyping my long lessons! :

*موسيقى = "Mooseeqa" = Music

*أغاني = "Aghaanee" = Songs -> "أغنية " = "Ughniya" = Song

*الروك = "Alrok" = Rock

*البوب = "Albob" = Pop - Pronounce with a 'p' even though spelling is with a 'b'

*الراب = "Alrab" = Rap - Pronounce with a 'p'

*الهيب هوب = "Alheeb hob" = Hip hop - Also pronounce with a 'p'

*الشعبية = "Alsha3biya" = Folk

*الوطنية = "Alwataniya" = National/ Country

*الجاز = "Aljaz" = Jazz

*الكلاسيكية = "Alklasikiya" = Classical

*البلوز = "Alblooz" = Blues

*الريغي = "Alreghay" = Reggae

*أفلام = "Aflaam" = Movies/ Films -> فيلم = "Feelm" = Movie/Film

*رعب = "Ru3b" = Horror :O (closing eyes the whole way through)

*كوميدي = "Komidee" = Comical (Comedy) <- 1 film (s)

*كوميدية = "Komidia" = Comical (Comedy) <- Films (pl) :D (dying of laughter)

*أكشن = "Akshun" = Action :o (jumping in seat)

*خيال علمي = "Khayaal 3ilmee" = Science fiction - "Khayaal" means 'imagination' and "3ilmee" means 'scientific' @_@ (this aint scientific?)

*رومانتيكية = "Romantikia" = Romantic < - Films (pl)

*رومانتيكي = "Romantikee" = Romantic <- 1 film (s) -_- (you done?)

*مسلسلات = "Musalsalaat" = Series :0 (what's gonna happen next!)

*رسوم متحركة = "Rusoom mutaharika" = Cartoons - "Rusoom" means 'drawings' and "Mutaharika" means 'moving' so "Rusoom mutaharika" are 'drawings that move' ;) (nostalgia)

*الأنيمي= "Alanime" = Hmm I wonder... Anime? B) (who has never watched anime has no life)

*(عروض) = "3urood^" = Shows :P (Meh)

*Ok! That's enough from me! Now it's your turn to remember these! Good Luck!

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof - reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements, Noted down below and I'll answer as soon as possible! Sweet Dreams! ;D

Lesson 39

https://archive.ph/jKFJ6

*Olá! Today hmm I mean tonight we're going to go through some instruments! This is going to be another laid back lesson as most of the instruments keep the same name that the founders created ;p So this shouldn't be hard to remember really!

*ألالات ألموسيقية = "Al'aalaat almoosiqiya" = (The) Musical Instruments

*بيانو = "Biano" = Piano - Some people will say "biano" and some will keep it Italian and say "piano" (actually I think the real Italian word for Piano is 'pianoforte' as of memory).

*غيتار = "Ghitaar" = Guitar - Same here, some people will just say "guitar" like in English whereas others will say "ghitaar"

*هارمونيكا = "Haarmonika" = Harmonica - Pronounced pretty much the same; obviously reached Arabia via Europe

*ناي = "Nay" = Flute - It's an Arabic instrument (I'm not sure if it was first founded in Arabia but I'm sure they use it in a lot of their music)

*(عود) = "3ood" = Oud - It's a really nice Arabic instrument, I think (b4 someone attacks me) that the guitar borrowed the idea of the Oud (the Oud is much older than the guitar!)

*كمان = "Kamaan" = Violin <- One of my favourites! :D

*أكورديون = "Akordion" = Accordion

*مزمار القربة = "Mizmaar alqarba" = Bagpipe

*مزمار = "Mizmaar" = Anything you blow that looks like a tube with holes basically. From a flute to a recorder (which I find very uncreative, I mean I could've given them names if they ran out of them! ... Blowy 1, Blowy 2, Blowy 3...)

*طبل = "Tabl" = Drum

*بوق = "Booq^" = Trumpet / Horn

*كيبورد = "Keebord" = Keyboard - Not the same as a laptop keyboard which is "لوحة مفاتيح" (Lawhat mafaateeh^)

*رباب = "Rabaab" = Rebab - Another Arabic instrument

*صفارة = "Safaara" = Whistle

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Improvements or any instruments that I missed that you would like to know, please comment below. (Most European instruments will probably be the same by the way).

*What instrument do you like most? Do you play or have you played an instrument that you'd like to share with us? If so, tell us the name in Arabic! ;) If I've missed it type it in your learning language and I'll reply in Arabic as soon as I can (that'll be after sleeping) Have a Nice Night! ;D

Lesson 40

https://archive.ph/eeDCh

*Helló! Today we're going to learn about how to express opinions, and I purposefully chose the last few topics we did which are food, sports, music and films because they are easy to express opinions on. So let's begin:

*أحب = "Uhib" = I Like/ I Love

*لا أحب = "Laa uhib" = I don't like/love

*أعشق = "A3shaq" = I adore

*أكره = "Akrah" = I hate - Don't forget to pronounce the 'h'

*أنا أحب .... كثيرا = "Anaa uhib .... katheeran" = I really like .... / I like .... a lot

*أفضل = "Ufadil" = I prefer

*أفضل ... على = "Ufadil ... 3ala ..." = I prefer ... over ...

*لان = "Li'an'na" = Because

*أما = "Am'maa" = As for/ Whereas

*So if we were to say our opinion we might need to know some adjectives we could use to describe them if we're going to use "because":

*مخيفة = "Mukheefa" = Scary

*مضحكة = "Mudhika" = Funny

*مملة = “Mumila” = Boring

*مثيرة للإهتمام = “Mutheera lil’ihtimaam” = Interesting

*ممتعة = “Mumti3a” = Fun/ Enjoyable

*مؤثرة = “Mu’athira” = Emotional/ Moving

*مفيدة = “Mufeeda” = Useful

*مفيدة للصحة = “Mufeeda lil’saha” = Useful for your health/well-being (Good for your health/well-being)

*سهلة = “Sahla” = Easy – Make sure you pronounce the ‘h’

*صعبة = “Sa3ba” = Difficult

*لذيذة = “Latheetha” = Delicious/ Tasty

*ليست لذيذة = “Laysat latheetha” = Isn’t delicious/tasty – We’ll go through negatives at some point

*مقززة = “Muqaziza” = Disgusting

*صاخبة = “Saakhiba” = Noisy/ Loud

هادئة = “Haadi’a” = Calm/Quiet جميلة = “Jameela” = Beautiful/Nice

*Ok let’s start a sentence! Here’s a few examples to help you:

*أفضل السمك على الدجاج = “Ufadil alsamak 3ala aldajaaj” = I prefer fish over chicken

*لا أحب أفلام الرعب لأن أفلام الرعب مخيفة = “Laa uhib aflaam alru3b li’ana aflaam alru3b mukheefa” = I don’t like horror movies because horror movies are scary.

*Now we could say “I don’t like horror movies because they are scary”, but that will bring in more complicated grammatical rules, and I don’t want to confuse you YET ;p so we’ll stick to repeating the noun like robots!

*أنا أحب الرياضة كثيرا لأن الرياضة ممتعة و مفيدة للصحة = “Anaa uhib alriyaada katheeran li’ana alriyaada mumti3a wa mufeeda lilsaha” = I really like sports because sports are fun and good for your health

*أفضل موسيقى الراب على موسيقى البوب = “Ufadil moosiqa alraab 3ala moosiqa albob” = I prefer rap music over pop music

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Improvements (Gimme your opinion!), please comment below! Have a NICE Day! ;D

*PS if you like mushrooms, read this aloud: لا أحب الفطر = “Laa uhib alfutr” = (translate it for me) XD

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Return to “Language”