Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] [SASSYandsisters] Arabic Word of the Day [21-30]

Moderator: The_lost

Deleted User 114

[ARCHIVE] [SASSYandsisters] Arabic Word of the Day [21-30]

Post by Deleted User 114 »

These posts were originally written by SASSYandsisters.

Lesson 21

https://archive.ph/Bj1c1

*مساء الخير Today we're going to look at small words that can make your sentences more advanced:

• We're going to start with a coupe of intensifiers:

*للغاية = "Lilghaaya" - Very / really

*جدا = "Jidan" - Very / really - I could safely say that "lilghaaya" is possibly considered "better quality language" than "Jidan" (I'm not 100% sure, I'm 99% sure because whenever I hear this word used, I could tell the person is extra)... But basically, if you can remember this word and pronounce it properly then great! If not, but you can remember "jidan" then great! Just use the one that suits you!

*بعض الشيء = "Ba3dh alshay' " - Kind of/ To some extent

*قليلا = "Qaleelan" - Slightly (a little)

*كثيرا = "Katheeran" - A lot

*Now we're done with a few important intensifiers, we can go through some time adverbs:

*أحيانا = "Ahyaanan" - Sometimes

*(عادتا ) = "3aadatan" - Usually / Normally

*في معظم الأحيان = "Fee mu3dham alahyaan" - Most of the time

*في معظم الوقت = "Fee mu3dham alwaqt" - Most of the time

*أبدا = "Abadan" - Never

*دائما = "Daa'iman" - Always

*متى = "Mataa" - Whenever (in this sense, but could also mean 'when')

*كلما = "Kulamaa" - Whenever (could also mean 'every time')

*So now we can make a sentence, let me show you an e.g.:

*أخي قد يكون مزعجا أحيانا = "Akhee qad yakoon muz3ijan ahyaanan" - My brother can be annoying sometimes.

*So, "qad yakoon" means 'he can be', if they're a girl you'd say "qad takoon" instead. So here's the structure: family member + "qad (y/t)akoon" (optional) + adjective + time adverb. So if you don't want to use "can be", here's an example:

*صديقتي دائما خجولة = "Sadeeqatee daa'iman khajoola" - My friend is always shy. < You may have noticed, that if you decide to not add "can be", then you can switch the adverb before the adjective, or the other way round. So in this example, the adjective was after the adverb.

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading (probably going to be a lot because I'm writing this half asleep), suggestions [yawns]... I'll be sleeping so don't disturb me! JK Lol no, inform me below! Have a Nice Sleep! >0< ZZZZzzzz

Lesson 22

https://archive.ph/px002

*Sorry I'm super late guys, I've got exams soon :o , but I'm going to continue anyways. Today we're going to go through some verbs:

*امشي = "Amshee" - I walk

• اجري = "Ajree" - I run

*أركض = "Arkudh" - I run

*أسبح = "Asbah^" - I swim

*أكل = "Akul" - I eat

*أقول = "Aqool" - I say (don't get this one mixed up with "Akul")

*أذهب = "Ath'hab" - I go

*أفكر = "Ufakir" - I think (the act of thinking, not an opinion)

*أسأل = "As'al" - I ask

*أنصح = "Ansah" - I advise

*أنام = "Anaam" - I sleep

*أجلس = "Ajlus" - I sit

*أمزح = "Amzah^" - I joke (could also mean 'I am joking')

*أضحك = "Adh'hak" - I laugh

*أقفز = "Aqfiz" - I jump

*أشرب = "Ashrab" - I drink

*ألعب = "Al3ab" - I play

*أقرأ = "Aqra' " - I read

*أدرس = "Adrus" - I study

*أراجع = "Uraaji3" - I revise

*أستمع = "Astami3" - I listen

*اطبخ = "Atbuh" - I cook

*أغني = "Ughan'nee" - I sing

*أرقص = "Arqus" - I dance

*ألبس = "Albas" - I wear

*أستحم = "Astahim" - I bathe (I shower)

*اتعلم = "Ata3alam" - I learn

*Here's your first list of verbs, make sure you remember these because they are essential to be able to communicate with others around you. A good way to get used to these is to try to replace them with English words in your daily life. Just keep repeating them ALOUD! ...(Even if everyone in the room looks at you like you're crazy)

*Thanks for reading (if you're awake). Any Qs, Proof-reading, suggestions and possible improvements, please let me know, have a lovely da...night! ;) (I'm gonna continue the episode where the creepy doll is stalking me and it wants me to be it's mummy XD am I the only one with stupid dreams?)

Lesson 23

https://archive.ph/JmAed

*Marhaban! Yesterday we focused on common verbs. Today I want to focus on the verb "I go":

*So we know that "I go" is "Ath'habu" or "Anaa ath'habu" (optional use of 'anaa'), right? Now obviously you're going to have to know places in Arabic so that's what this lesson is about. Let's start:

*المطعم = "Almat3am" - The restaurant. (I started with this first mainly because, as they say, "The key to a man's heart is through his stomach" so you MUST know this one! XD PS: Haven't you realised not one woman would complain about sexism if this quote was given to her? Haha I'm not gonna complain lol)

*السينما = "Alseenimaa" - The cinema (to pronounce this, just say cinema and add "al" (which represents 'the')... and say it like a foreigner butchering English XD JK!)

*المقهى = "Almaqhaa" - The café

*المسرح = "Almasrah^" - The theatre (also means 'the stage')

*الحديقة = "Alhadeeqa" - The park (could also mean 'garden')

*الحديقة العامة = "Alhadeeqa al3aama" - The public park ("al3aama" meaning the public)

*ألملعب = "Almal3ab" - The stadium (also means playground)

*الفندق = "Alfunduq^" - The hotel

*(مركز المدينة) = "Markaz almadeena" - The (town/city) center - So "markaz" means "the center" and "almadeena" means "the town/city". So it would technically mean "the center of the town/city".

*ألسوق = "Asooq^" - The market. You may have noticed that although there is a "laam" (l) in the word (ألسوق) the "l" is silent. There is a rule for this but that will be for another day

*ألمتجر = "Almatjar" - The shop. You could also use "Asooq^", because people don't really care about whether it's a market or a shop because they are pretty much the same thing. Most people use "Asooq^", but it's good to know both.

*مركز التسوق = "Markaz at'tasaw'wuq^" - "Markaz" as you already know, means "center" and "at'tasaw'wuq^" means "shopping", so yes, it means "The shopping center" .

*المدرسة = "Almadrasa" - Which means 'the school' (hmmhmm I mean the prison). As you may have noticed, "almadrasa" sounds similar to the word "almudaris" which means the teacher.

*العمل = "Al3amal" - The work (work)

*البيت = "Albayt" - The home (home)

*المنزل = "Almanzil" - Also means "the home" (or just home). Oh yeah English has two words for "home" too! Lol we love our homes! ;3

*I'm going to end this list with "home" and I'm going to show you how to make a simple sentence out of this. Here's an e.g. :

*أنا أذهب إلى المدرسة = "Anaa ath'habu ilaa almadrasa" - I go to school. < Now in fact, if we translate this word for word, it would be "I go to the school". Also, "Ilaa" means "to" (preposition).

*Thanks for reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading [looking at my promoted Abdallah, Chief of Spelling Corrections, like how I advertised you? XD], any suggestions, please comment below. Have a Great Evening! ;D I'm going to round this off with a few more examples:

*أنا أذهب إلى السوق = "Anaa ath'habu ilaa asooq^" - I go to the market/shop

*أنا أذهب إلى مركز المدينة = "Anaa ath'habu ilaa markaz almadeena" - I go to the town/city center

*أنا أذهب إلى السرير = "Anaa ath'habu ilaa asareer" - I go to bed ("asareer" means 'bed') ;)

Lesson 24

https://archive.ph/8ZUDz

*Hellooo! Today we're going to go through days of the week, so that we can link these to the last lesson which was about going to places, so let's start!:

*الأحد = "Al'ahad" = Sunday - You say "Al" first, then you pause, then you say "ahad" (don't make the pause long)

*الإثنين = "Al'ithnayn" = Monday - When we do numbers (which I should've done earlier!) you'll see there's a similarity between the days of the week and the numbers. "Al'ithnayn" is similar to the number 'two' which is "Ithnaan". "Al'ahad" is similar to the number 'one' which is "Waahid".

*الثلاثاء = "Ath'ulathaa' " (althulathaa') = Tuesday - Here the 'l' is silent. It is also similar to the number 'three', which is "thalaatha".

*الأربعاء = "Al'arbi3aa' " = Wednesday - Say "Al" first then say "arbi3aa' " and you've got it. "Al'arbi3aa' " is similar to the word for four which is "Arba3a".

*الخميس = "Alkhamees" = Thursday - Similar to the word for 'five' which is "khamsa".

*الجمعة = "Aljumu3a" = Friday - Here is where the pattern ruins, as you can see, the first day of the week is similar to 1 and the second is similar to 2 and so on...

*السبت = "Asabt" (alsabt) = Saturday - Here there is a silent 'l' and you pronounce it like a double 's'.

*Yup there's the days of the week so get repeating these^. Here's a video on the Days of the Week if you want: [

*اليوم = "Alyawm" = Today - If you translate literally it would be 'the day'; "al" represents 'the', and "yawm" means 'day'. But "alyawm" means 'today'. Make sure when you pronounce these, that you are saying "al" separately to "yawm".

*غدا = "Ghadan" = Tomorrow - If you've seen the video, it also mentions "Bukra" which also means tomorrow. However, that is in Dialect Arabic, not in Standard Arabic, and my posts will always remain Standard Arabic.

*الأمس / البارحة = "Al'ams (on the right)/ Albaariha" = Yesterday. Both mean 'yesterday', but I think that "Al'ams" is more common (and probably easier to pronounce). Choose what's best for you, but it's obviously better to remember both.

*So to make a simple sentence ( isn't really advanced but simplicity is the spice of life) :

*اليوم الخميس وغدا الجمعة = "Alyawm alkhamees wa ghadan aljumu3a" = Today is Thursday and tomorrow is Friday.

*Now to say "yesterday was Wednesday", we must add the past tense. We haven't gone through the past tense yet, but we will once we get better. For now, just remember this word:

*كان = "Kaana" = Was

*So to make a sentence we can place "kaana" either before "yesterday" or after it. It is basically like this:

1*الأمس كان الأربعاء = "Al'ams kaana al'arbi3aa' " = Yesterday was Wednesday OR we could say:

2*كان الأمس الأربعاء = "Kaana al'ams al'arbi3aa' " = Yesterday was Wednesday

*As an English speaker, I'd probably say that the first one is easier for you guys as it literally translates in the same order as it does in English, but have the second one in mind too, eh?

*Ok that's all for "alyawm". Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, or suggestions for improvement or future topics, please comment below! Have a Great Day Everyone! ;D

Lesson 25

https://archive.ph/4dOr5

Hey guys! "Alyawm" (remember?) we will look at a few more words linked to the last few lessons, هيا نبدأ ! (let's start!) :

*يوم = "Yawm" = Day - We have gone through this briefly last lesson. Don't get this mixed up with "alyawm". "Alyawm" is "today" and "yawm" is "day"!

*أسبوع = "usboo3" = Week

*شهر = "shahr" = Month - Make sure the 'h' is pronounced. I say this because in English, we tend to not pronounce the 'h' sound. In Arabic, you always pronounce it unless it's at the end of a sentence.

*سنة = "sana" = Year

*كل يوم = "Kul'la yawm" = Everyday - So "kul'la" means "every" and "yawm" means "day". So the only new word here is "kul'la".

*كل أسبوع = "Kul'la usboo3" = Every Week

*كل شهر = "Kul'la shahr" = Every Month

*كل سنة = "Kul'la sana" = Every Year

*So now we can make our sentence even more complex. So this is what we started with on Wednesday:

*أنا أذهب إلى المدرسة = "Anaa ath'hab ilaa almadrasa" = I go to school

*Yesterday were able to say days of the week like this:

*اليوم الجمعة = "Alyawm aljumu3a" = Today is Friday

*Now we can mash these up with what we've done today:

*أنا أذهب إلى المدرسة كل جمعة = "Anaa ath'hab ilaa almadrasa kul'la jumu3a" = I go to school every Friday.

*Now you may have noticed that when I wrote "every Friday", instead of writing "kul'la aljumu3a" I wrote "Kul'la jumu3a":

*We already know that "al" means 'the', don't we? So when we say "aljumu3a" it technically means 'the Friday'. When we say "alyawm aljumu3a", we are in fact saying "today is the Friday". But when we translate into English, it will just be "today is Friday".

*When we add "kul'la" before "aljumu3a", it means every Friday is included, meaning there is no specific Friday, hence you cannot use 'the' (al). Get it? (If no, then comment below and I'll try to explain better)

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Improvements, please comment below and I'll be more than happy to do so. Tomorrow we'll be going through some Months (they are very similar to English which makes this easy!), but any suggestions for future topics would be very appreciated. Have a Nice Evening! CYA ;D

Lesson 26

https://archive.ph/h48Fs

*صباح الخير , today we're going to look at months of the year (luckily, they are similar to English months) :

*يناير = "Yanaayir" = January - (hmm hmm I never said every month is similar)

*فبراير = "Fibraayir" = February - Well... I guess it begins similarly?

*مارس = "Maaris"(Maris) = March - Now this word is spelt exactly the same as another word which means "practice". The difference is in the pronunciation; with March, it sounds more like "Maris", whereas with practice, it sounds more like "Maaris". But bothare spelt with a long vowel so I spelt it "Maaris" above.

*أبريل = "Abreel/Ibreel" = April - Make sure you pronounce it with a "b", as there is no letter "p" in the Arabic alphabet. Also, depending on the person, some people pronounce it with an "A" and some people pronounce it with a "I", it doesn't matter which one you use.

*مايو = "Maayo (Mayo)" = May - Not pronounced like "mayonnaise"! It sounds more like the Spanish word for May, which is also Mayo.

*يونيو = "Yoonio/Yoonyo" = June

*يوليو = "Yoolio/Yoolyo" = July

*أغسطس = "Aghustus/Ughustus" = August - Same here, some people will pronounce with an "A" at the beginning, and some people pronounce it with a "U" at the beginning. But the spelling doesn't change because they are short vowels.

*سبتمبر = "Sebtember" = September - Basically the same only you replace the "p" with a light "b".

*أكتوبر = "Uktober" = October

*نوفمبر = "Nofember" = November - In the spelling, it is spelt with a "F" as there is no "V" in Arabic, however, most people pronounce it as a light "V".

*ديسمبر = "Deesember" = December

*Here's a few videos on how to pronounce them because it's hard to understand it just by reading this post:

*[

*[

*The list you see above have been influenced by the Gregorian calendar.

*In some places, like Egypt, these are the standard months. In the Levant and Mesopotamia region (Iraq, Syria etc...) they have a list derived from the Syriac Aramaic names of the Assyrian calendar, which cognate to Babylonian and Hebrew calendars. The Algerian and Tunisian calendar is influenced by the French colonization (you tend to find a lot of them fluently speaking French). The Moroccan calendar is a mix of the ancient "Berber" language and the Gregorian too. The Libyan calendar was derived from various things, but has been abolished a few years ago and has now adopted the Gregorian months. There's also an Islamic calendar that Muslims refer to (has been quite neglected nowadays).

*Hope you have enjoyed this piece of History. We're going to stick to the adoption of Gregorian months as these have been used in every country in the Arab region (mainly for civil purposes).

*Thanks for reading! B) Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements, Please comment below and I'll be happy to help. If anyone wants to see a certain list, then feel free to ask and I'll post it for you (or search it if you like). Have a Nice Evening! :D

Lesson 27

https://archive.ph/ZrIgB

*Hello! Today we're going to be looking at jobs because I'm guessing quite a lot of people here don't go to school anymore. Sorry if I don't include you because there's a million jobs in the world so ask below and I'll answer for you :

*مهندس = "Muhandis (a)" = An Engineer

*مدرس = "Mudaris (a) " = A Teacher

*معلم = "Mu3alim (a)" = A Teacher (choose your pick)

*أستاذ = "Ustaath (a) " = A Professor

*طبيب = "Tabeeb (a)" = A Doctor

*طبيب أسنان = "Tabeeb(at) asnaan" = A Dentist - "asnaan" means 'teeth', so "tabeeb asnaan" is the 'doctor of teeth' or "a dentist".

*طبيب بيطري = "Tabeeb(a) baytaree(a)" = A Veterinarian - "baytaree" means 'veterinary' so "tabeeb baytaree" is the 'doctor of veterinary' or "a veterinarian".

*ممرضة = "Mumaridha" = A Nurse

*حلاق = "Halaaq" = A Barber

*أمين مكتبة = "Ameen(at) maktaba" = A Librarian - "Ameen" (in this case) means "the person who takes care of" and "maktaba" means 'library'. So "ameen almaktaba" is 'the person who takes care of the library' or simply "librarian".

*طبيب جراحة = "Tabeeb(at) jiraaha" = A Surgeon - "jiraaha" means 'surgery', therefore "tabeeb jiraaha" is "the doctor of surgery" or "a surgeon".

*شرطي = "Shurtee(ya)" = A Policeman(woman)

*ساعي بريد = "Saa3ee(at) bareed" = A Postman(woman) - "saa3ee" means 'courier' and "bareed" means "post" so "saa3ee bareed" is "the courier of post" or just "postman".

*رجل إطفاء = "rajul itfaa' " = A Fireman (Sam) – “rajul” means ‘man’ and itfaa’ “ means ‘take out (fire)", so "rajul itfaa' ", is "a man who takes out fires" or "a fireman".

*إطفائية = "Itfaa'iya" = A Firewoman (2019 Equality)

*مؤلف = "Mu'al'lif (a)" = An Author

*طباخ = "Tabaakh (a)" = A Cook/chef

*فنان = "Fanaan (a)" = An Artist

*نادل = "Naadil (a)" = A Waiter (waitress)

*تاجر = "Taajir (a)" = A Trader

*لاعب = "Laa3ib" = A Player - Once we go through more things, you could say what you play like a sport, an instrument or something along those lines.

*مبرمج حواسيب = "Mubarmij (at) hawaseeb" = A Computer Programmer - "mubarmij" means "programmer" and "hawaseeb" means "computers" so "mubarmij hawaseeb" is "the person who programs computers" or "a computer programmer" (lol sounds like I'm teaching English)

*So that's ^ your list for now... If you don't know already, the letters in brackets are what you say if the subject (person this is about) is a girl. Except for Firewoman and 2 others, the feminine additions should be shown above. Firewoman has its own word so that's done. Hmm I was just wondering if I can ask you guys a question about the other 2:

*"So you know a "nurse"? Is it only women or can men be included? Also same thing with " barber" is it only a man, or can it also be a woman? ... I will really appreciate it if you can answer this question for me :3 Thanks! (I'm just testing my students OK!... No seriously!)

*Thanks for reading! Any Qs, Proof - reading, Suggestions and Improvements, please comment below! Any specific job names you'd like to know, I'm open! Have a Nice Day! ;D

Lesson 28

https://archive.ph/di2tY

*Hola! Yesterday we looked at some jobs so today we'll look at "where you work" -:

*So here's yesterday's question (that I forgot to put on) : "ما مهنتك؟" = "Maa mihnatuk (ee)?" - What is your profession? (if it's a girl you add 'ee')

*And here's the question we're going to focus on today: "أين تعمل؟" = "Ayna ta3mal (een)?" - Where do you work? (if it's a girl you add 'een')

*So let's answer this Q :

*(...أعمل في) "A3mal fee" = I work in... (doesn't matter if you are a girl/boy)

*مصنع "Masna3"= A factory

*مطعم "Mat3am" = A restaurant

*مستشفى "Mustashfaa" = A hospital

*مدرسة "Madrasa" = A school

*سوق "Sooq^" = A market/shop

*متجر "Matjar" = A store

*مكتب "Maktab" = An office (also means 'a desk')

*جامعة "Jaami3a" = A university

*مكتبة "Maktaba" = A library

*محطة شرطة "Mahatat shurta" = A police station - so "mahata" is "a station" and "shurta" is "police".

*محطة إطفاء "Mahatat Itfaa' " = A fire station - "Itfaa' " means 'to take out (in this case, fire)'.

*مطبخ "Matbakh" = Kitchen <- Essential lol. We're also going to use this when describing our home so remember it!

*متحف "Mut'haf" = A museum (umm I doubt anyone here works in a museum but... hey!). Also, make sure you say "mut" then "haf". Don't say "muthaf" with a 'th'.

*سجن "Sijn" = A prison (aka: school) Lol don't ask me why I added that, I think I'm running out of places people work in

*مكتب محامي "Maktab Muhamee (ya - added on if it's a woman lawyer) = A lawyer's office - So we already know that "maktab" means 'office' so "muhamee" means 'lawyer'. < I forgot to mention that job yesterday, sorry :3

*فندق "Funduq^" = A Hotel

*صالون "Saloon" = A salon (could also mean "a lounge" but I don't think that's MSA)

*حضانة "Hadhaana" = A nursery

*I've ran out of words right now. If I've missed one that you specifically want to know, then comment below and I'll answer you as soon as possible (or one of my co-workers will Lol).

*So if someone asked you: "ما مهنتك و أين تعمل؟ " (Maa mihnatuk wa ayna ta3mal?) - What is your profession and where do you work?

You'll say something like this:

*"أنا مدرس و أعمل في مدرسة" (Anaa mudaris wa a3mal fee madrasa) - I am a teacher (male) and I work in a school.

*While you do this, make sure you are using the right gender for your occupation. If you've forgotten these make sure to check yesterday's post: [https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/32253205]

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Improvements please comment below and I'll be glad to help! Have a Nice Day! :D

A few More E.g. s :

*أنا طبيبة و أعمل في مستشفى "Anaa tabeeba wa a3mal fee mustashfaa" - I am a doctor (female) and I work in a hospital.

*أنا نادل و أعمال في مطعم "Anaa naadil wa a3mal fee mat3am" - I am a waiter and I work in a restaurant.

Lesson 29

https://archive.ph/LhEYS

*Bonjour! Today we're going to look at the numbers 0 - 10 (my bad, we should've done that earlier!). Let's start quickly as I've got a lot of things to do! :

*واحد = "Waahid" = One

*إثنان = "Ithnaan" = Two - Some people will say "Ithnayn" as well so be aware of that as well

*ثلاثة = "Thalaatha" = Three - In English, we often tend to pronounce "th" strongly. Whenever there is a "ث", 'th' should be pronounce like that in "teeth", rather than that in... "that" (get it?)

*أربعة = "Arba3a" = Four

*خمسة = "Khamsa" = Five

*ستة = "Sita" = Six

*سبعة = "Sab3a" = Seven

*ثمانية = "Thamaaniya" = Eight

*تسعة = "Tis3a" = Nine

*(عشرة ) = "3ashara" = Ten

*And finally :

*صفر = "Sifr" = Zero

*Now this is how they are written in Arabic:

• < = nope, that isn't a smudge on your screen, it is the number 0 (aka: a diamond shaped dot)

• ١ < = 1

• ٢ < = 2

• ٣ < = 3

• ٤ < = 4

• ٥ < = 5

• ٦ < = 6

• ٧ < = 7

• ٨ < = 8

• ٩ < = 9

• ١٠ < = 10 (aka: a 1 and a 0 together) - As you can see, it is written in the same order: so units and tens and all that are in the same order (fairly easy).

*Now to the activity: Copy those down a hundred times each. I'm serious stop looking at me like that. [looking at Andres who's already done 3/4 while I'm typing this]... Lol you don't have to but that would be good practice. Anyways they're not even that complex [looking at Chinese alphabet] you can't even complain!

*Oh yeah also if you can't remember these^ then it's ok. Nowadays, it is becoming less common, though it is still used! Some people just use the (latin? I think it's called) numerical system, that you obviously know it goes like: 1, 2, 5, 8... yeah yeah that's the one! ;p But attempt it anyways!

*Before and Indian attacks me, I think these were taken from the Indians AGES ago... ;P So if you're Indian, you're one step ahead!

*Tomorrow we'll go through the rest of the numbers if I can make it (because I have lots of revision to do!) Hopefully I can cus I'm the no1 procrastinator ;)

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements, please comment below! Have a Lovely Afternoon! Aaah it's WARM TODAY!!! :D MIRACLE! JK

Lesson 30

https://archive.ph/AyjNA

*Ciao! Today (is day 30!) and we're going to look at the Arabic numbers from 11 - 100. Let's start:

*احد عشر = "Ihda 3ashar" = Eleven - "waahid" (one) becomes "Ihda" and "3ashara" (ten) becomes "3ashar". Sorry I won't be able to explain how this change is made because I'm busy today and I just managed to find time for this, but I'll link a video that goes through everything we're going to learn today. If you can't or don't want to watch the video, it's ok to just remember them as this change is only made in 'eleven' and 'twelve'.

*إثنا عشر = "Ithnaa 3ashar" = Twelve. "Ithnaan"(two) becomes "Ithnaa", and as before, "3ashara" becomes "3ashar".

*Now for the rest of the numbers up to 19, we keep the units the same and add "ta" at the end. We also use "3ashar" instead of "3ashara" whenever we're talking about a number and '10'. So here's a few examples on how the numbers 13 - 19 work:

*ثلاثة عشر = "Thalaathata 3ashar" = Thirteen - So just like the rule above^. We take 'three' which is "Thalaatha", we add "ta" (short vowel so spelling doesn't change) to the end so the pronunciation becomes "Thalaathata". Now we simply add "3ashar" to the end so it becomes "Thalaathata 3ashar" < You can visualize the change from 3 to 13 by looking at the additions in bold.

*ستة عشر = "Sitata 3ashar" = Sixteen. So same as before. Take six "sita", add "ta" so it becomes "sitata", then add "3ashar" at the end. So it ends as "sitata 3ashar".

*Now the rest is easy! So all we need to remember now are the tens:

*(عشرون ) = "3ishroon" = Twenty

*ثلاثون = "Thalaathoon" = Thirty

*أربعون = "Arba3oon" = Forty

*خمسون = "Khamsoon" = Fifty

*ستون = "Sitoon" = Sixty

*سبعون = "Sab3oon" = Seventy

*ثمانون = "Thamaanoon" = Eighty

*تسعون = "Tis3oon" = Ninety

*مئة = "Mi'a" = A hundred

*Now you might have realised that for all the tens (except for 100), the numbers 1-9 are repeated, only they end in "oon".

*So now to say something like... 21 all we do is the following:

*We pick the correct tens so in this case "3ishroon" (twenty)

*We use some math to figure out that 21 - 20 = 1 therefore 1 + 20 = 21.

*We remember the word for "1" aka: "Waahid"

*We connect these two numbers with our beloved "wa" (and)

*We're done! Now we have got "Waahid wa 3ishroon" which means '21'.

• REMEMBER! When dealing with a 2 digit number, we in Arabic decide to go thug life and start from the right hand side. So we start with the units just like we do in maths. We say "Waahid wa 3ishroon" instead of the English "Twenty one".

*Now we can say the numbers 1-100 in Arabic! BUT I've got a challenge for you guys to think about... What about above 100? How do we say for example, 154? Try to figure this out on your own and answer below if you wish and I'll check it! The competition begins! Who's going to be the first non-native! to answer this correctly without using Google?! (let's go old school!) ;p

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements... I'm going to be calculating my failing rate for tomorrow's exam using Arabic numbers (instead of revising)! Don't disturb me! Joking! Feel free to comment below and I'll answer as soon as I can! Have a Nice Evening! CYA ;D [if you're feeling clever do the challenge and I'll check your IQ lol]

Video on today's lesson:

[

Return to “Language”