Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[GRAMM] Verbs - past perfect

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[GRAMM] Verbs - past perfect

Post by Basler Biker »

Past perfect
Do you remember how we learned a couple of lessons back how to create Swedish present perfect? If you do, then this is going to be a real breeze!

In the present perfect lesson, we learned how we could form sentences such as:

Jag har ätit = I have eaten
Du har hört = You have heard

We're now going to create very similar sentences, but they are going to take place in the past!

Jag hade ätit = I had eaten
Du hade hört = You had heard

We still use the supine form to create the past perfect, but with the past tense form hade instead of the present tense ha.

Let's take a look at the same table on how to use the supine as we did in the present perfect lesson, but update it for the past perfect instead:

Infinitive Past perfect English translation
prata hade pratat talk
höra hade hört hear
klä hade klätt dress, get dressed
äta hade ätit eat
All in all, the Swedish past perfect works much the same way as it does in English:

Jag blev bjuden på middag men jag hade redan ätit.
I was invited to dinner but I had already eaten.

Knowing how to use the past perfect is extremely useful for those times when you have to describe what happened in the past, such as what you did last weekend.

Oh, and one last thing. As you know by now, the very common words sade and lade are pronounced just sa and la in Swedish. But this is not the case with hade - it's actually pronounced as though it were written hadde.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “Grammatik”