Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[GRAMM] Adjectives - Comparative and Superlative

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[GRAMM] Adjectives - Comparative and Superlative

Post by Basler Biker »

Comparative and Superlative
By now we know some adjectives. We know how to say something is pretty or someting is ugly. But how do we express that is not just pretty, it's the prettiest or that those shoes are uglier than those shoes?

We call these forms comparative and superlative.

Comparative form is used when you compare one thing to another.

Sweden is better than Denmark.
My dad is stronger than your dad!
And superlative is used when some is of the highest degree possible of something.

She is the nicest person I've met.
These meatballs are the best I've had!
So how do we create these words in Swedish? Let's take a look at the regular ones first.

Positive Comparative Superlative undefined Superlative defined
varm varmare varmast varmaste
billig billigare billigast billigaste
viktig viktigare viktigast viktigaste

For some adjectives, we prefer to compare them with mer and mest rather than using endings .This typically happens with adjectives ending in -isk and participles. However in many cases, both work.
And now to the bad news. A lot of adjectives are irregular, especially the most common ones. You are going to have to learn these the hard way, through practice and experience. But don't lose hope yet, many of these are so common that you will learn the forms really fast!

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “Grammatik”