Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[GRAMM] Verbs - Infinitive

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[GRAMM] Verbs - Infinitive

Post by Basler Biker »

Infinitive
Many times, the infinitive form is referred to as the base form. This is not without reason. When memorizing verbs this is the one most frequently used and most conjugation stem from this form. But what do we use it for?

The infinitive form is used when using a modal verb. These are verbs such as want, will, must. This is actually very similar to how we use the infinitive form in English.

I want to drive a car.
I have to go to school.
In Swedish it is almost exactly the same.

Jag vill köra en bil. (I want to drive a car)
Jag måste gå till skolan. (I must go to school)
The difference here is that we don't use any equivalent to to in Swedish, except for in some cases. These are the most common ones.

Jag gillar att köra bil. (I like driving [a car])
Jag hatar att städa. (I hate cleaning)
Here, the Swedish word att acts like the English word to.

Note that we do not need to add att if we have an object directly followed by a verb in infinitive form.

-Låt alla blommor blomma. (Let all flowers bloom) -Vi såg honom springa. (We saw him run)*

There isn't that much to learn as an English speaker when it comes to Swedish infinitive. Learning when to use att and when not to is the key to mastering it, and that will (as usual) come with practice.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “Grammatik”