Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How popular are Duolingo courses really?

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Re: How popular are Duolingo courses really?

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Sofia222677 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:54 pm
Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:04 am

I am surprised by the popularity of the Italian language, because it is short and has no history, but maybe immigrants contribute to these statistics, or there is simply a fashion for a some language! :)

If by "history" you mean "stories", actually the Italian course does have them as well (there are fewer sets though). I'm pretty sure it's not immigrants, the number of them coming to Italy has been on the decrease for a few years now, if I recall correctly.
Italy is a popular holiday destination, and its art and culture are appealing to quite a few people.

That being said, I was also surprised the first time I checked the list of courses from English ordered by number of learners. (But over time, this turned into dismay; the 6th most popular course from English — and reportedly the only one of the few original Duolingo trees is shamefully neglected, it's hardly undergone any update.)

Hi, yes Italian has stories, but very short - sorry. :) sometimes you can go wrong. hehe

You are right that Italy is a popular holiday destination and its art and culture attract a lot of tourists and maybe that's why there is more interest in the Italian language! :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

8-)

Siobhan688078 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:33 am
Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:04 am

Hi, this is a very interesting statistic regarding the popularity of some language courses. I think it may depend on the quality of the courses.

Some are really very good, more frequently updated, well supported with moderators and have stories (German, French, Spanish).

I am surprised by the popularity of the Italian language, because it is short and has no history, but maybe immigrants contribute to these statistics, or there is simply a fashion for a some language! :)

Why don't you just give it a try? Nothing to lose, and you never know, you might get hooked 8-)

Hi Siobhan, let me tell you that I am already addicted to DL, but now I am less attracted to it because there is no forum! :(

I learn a lot of languages: the longer courses and the short ones, so I can see these differences. :)

I think the popularity of the Polish language will increase because we have a lot of refugees from Ukraine and they will definitely want to know our language.

I'll tell you this forum on "duome.eu" is good, but initially, I was also a bit confused, but it's getting better every day. 8-)

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Ciao Dana,
Same here, I find the way DL has handled the closure of the forums a disgrace, quite honestly, and I am just finishing the main courses I started and am already dabbling in other platforms in order to reach my personal goals; I agree with your take on the Polish language - the Polish response to the Ukranian refugee crisis has been heartwarming and a good example how things should be done in times of crisis and war - unlike post Brexit Britain with a clown at the helm.
It's good to know the old forum community is still intact, the amount of work that has gone into this particular forum and the brilliant archive are truly amazing...
Keep up the good work 8-)

Theron126
Russia

Post by Theron126 »

Siobhan688078 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:00 am

Ciao Dana,
Same here, I find the way DL has handled the closure of the forums a disgrace, quite honestly, and I am just finishing the main courses I started and am already dabbling in other platforms in order to reach my personal goals; I agree with your take on the Polish language - the Polish response to the Ukranian refugee crisis has been heartwarming and a good example how things should be done in times of crisis and war - unlike post Brexit Britain with a clown at the helm.
It's good to know the old forum community is still intact, the amount of work that has gone into this particular forum and the brilliant archive are truly amazing...

I can't comment on Poland, but I can on Romania and I want to see them get some credit too. The response from Romanians, considering that the countries haven't had a good history and that up till now Romanians haven't been treated well in Ukraine, has been nothing short of miraculous. Generous donations, people taking refugees into their homes, hotels providing rooms, restaurants providing food, churches arranging busses to Europe at their own expense, until the government started paying for busses... I don't think there's anyone who's seen what Romania is doing who hasn't fallen in love with the country.

Native 🇺🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Fluent 🇷🇺 Studying 🇷🇴

back4morelater
Great Britain

Post by back4morelater »

SweNedGuy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:34 pm

Some observations:
The most popular courses (Spanish, French) do not have a very committed percentage of learners, neither do the non-European language courses. The less popular courses (Swedish, Dutch) do better. German holds a middle ground. It's a Germanic language as English is supposed to be, but the grammar is hard ... Italian has also more devoted learners.

Yet if users are committed, the 'owl' ratio can be significant. Less popular languages and Italian do better. Chinese and Hindi are best in class among the rest. The frequent course additions and changes to the Spanish and French courses from English come at a price. Most learners don't try to regain the owl any more ...

Is any of that difference between say Italian and Spanish, the length of the tree? From what I remember the Italian is fairly short and the Spanish one at point seems interminable, though tree is finally golden again but that's the first time in a couple of years. The longer the course the more people that have started and not yet (and may never) get as far as the golden owl. Also if you've finished something like an original tree and move on to another platform, you might never know there's an updated tree that you might want to tackle. The best indication of updated trees used to be all the outraged user that had lost everything they'd learned.

How recent are Hindi or Chinese, do the older courses have more people who have given up just because they've existed for longer.
I can think of many "excused" like this but not any easy way to try look at the data

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

back4morelater wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:44 pm

Is any of that difference between say Italian and Spanish, the length of the tree? From what I remember the Italian is fairly short and the Spanish one at point seems interminable, though tree is finally golden again but that's the first time in a couple of years. The longer the course the more people that have started and not yet (and may never) get as far as the golden owl. Also if you've finished something like an original tree and move on to another platform, you might never know there's an updated tree that you might want to tackle. The best indication of updated trees used to be all the outraged user that had lost everything they'd learned.

How recent are Hindi or Chinese, do the older courses have more people who have given up just because they've existed for longer.
I can think of many "excused" like this but not any easy way to try look at the data

How long trees have been around is now information buried with the forum. If you are lucky you may find some info in the archived threads. The only sensible thing one can say is that a course in Beta has probably not been around for very long. Sometimes you see some version history on any particular tree in the incubator, but you cannot bet on it. I have never seen anything that looks remotely complete.

Spanish from English is the oldest tree and it has indeed been reorganized and lengthened many times. Horror stories of 'losing everything' make me smile. What knowledge of his target language does a learner really have if the only thing he can be proud of is a Duolingo owl? Are we so trophy oriented?

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Siobhan688078
Wales

Post by Siobhan688078 »

Theron126 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:19 pm
Siobhan688078 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:00 am

Ciao Dana,

I can't comment on Poland, but I can on Romania and I want to see them get some credit too. The response from Romanians, considering that the countries haven't had a good history and that up till now Romanians haven't been treated well in Ukraine, has been nothing short of miraculous. Generous donations, people taking refugees into their homes, hotels providing rooms, restaurants providing food, churches arranging busses to Europe at their own expense, until the government started paying for busses... I don't think there's anyone who's seen what Romania is doing who hasn't fallen in love with the country.

Ciao Theron,
May I assure you that it was not my intention to ignore the efforts of other nations bordering on Ukraine, quite the opposite. The first language I learned from scratch on DL was in fact Polish, because of my mother's side of the family hailing from various parts of Poland and the Czek Republic - I also knew that Dana is a Polish native speaker so hence my comment concentrating on the Polish side of things. Also,
it is quite a job in post Brexit Britain to stay well informed about all things EU, and the BBC and other media outlets at the time were concentrating on the large numbers of refugees to Poland via Lviv. Being a true European at heart, however, I marvelled at the unified approach in the face of the evolving crisis, especially countries like Romania putting all bickering and political controversy aside and do the only sensible thing, help your neighbours as best as you can, the horrors of the last two world wars are not forgotten, and your peace might be at risk, who knows! Compared to the dilly dallying approach the UK's Home Office is taking over the matter, small but beautiful Romania and its people, and all the other neighbouring countries and their people deserve a medal in my eyes for their efforts to help. 8-)

Oliver
Australia

Post by Oliver »

This is really interesting, thanks! While it's great they're still evolving, the updates in French, Spanish and German definitely made them a bit trickier motivation-wise to finish personally

🇮🇳 25 Image 25 🇯🇵 25 🇪🇸 25 🇰🇷 25 🇩🇪 25 🇫🇷 22 🇷🇺 20 🇬🇷 20 🇹🇿 18 Image 17 🇮🇹 17 🇮🇩 14 🇨🇳 14 🇺🇦 12 🇳🇴 11

Theron126
Russia

Post by Theron126 »

Ceau [mention]Siobhan688078[/mention] (pronounced the same),
I understand of course that you didn't intend to diminish anyone else 🙂 Poland is getting most of the media attention, as you say, and given the numbers there they deserve it. But I want to explicitly give some recognition to the people I've seen at first hand.

Native 🇺🇸🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Fluent 🇷🇺 Studying 🇷🇴

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:08 pm

I think the popularity of the Polish language will increase because we have a lot of refugees from Ukraine and they will definitely want to know our language.

Is there a Ukrainian from Polish course on Duolingo? Or will people be learning it via some other language?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Nukalurk
Germany

Post by Nukalurk »

No, from Polish you can only learn English so far, just like from Ukrainian you can only select English.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Basler Biker wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:15 am

The high "commitment" rates for SV, NL, DE.. can for sure partly be explained by the fact that these countries

• accept a high number of immigrants
  • AND those have the "inburgeringsplicht" so they need to know the language before they can relocate/settle/work there
    can't judge about the other countries

it's the exact opposite, in those countries almost everyone speaks English so you can live there without knowing the local language at all :roll:

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:19 pm
Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:08 pm

Is there a Ukrainian from Polish course on Duolingo? Or will people be learning it via some other language?

So far there is only an Ukrainian from English course. The Duolingo incubator data show that they had been working on an Ukrainian from Russian course. That made sense ...

Also Polish can only be learnt from English and currently English is the only language to be learnt from Polish. There is no other course in the incubator. There is a decent map (original by Alexander Saad) of the courses on Duolingo

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

LICA98 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:45 am

The high "commitment" rates for SV, NL, DE.. can for sure partly be explained by the fact that these countries

• AND those have the "inburgeringsplicht" so they need to know the language before they can relocate/settle/work there

it's the exact opposite, in those countries almost everyone speaks English so you can live there without knowing the local language at all :roll:

As a tourist you can speak English, as an immigrated citizen, or in order to be able to search/get work, you'll need to pass the Dutch Test, and depending on where you go (just live there, or work for government, or schools) you'll need to have the corresponding/required level for Dutch.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

@Corinnebelle

Hi, unfortunately, but there is no Ukrainian course from Polish. :(

Those who want to learn Ukrainian must learn it from English.:)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Basler Biker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:15 am

As a tourist you can speak English, as an immigrated citizen, or in order to be able to search/get work, you'll need to pass the Dutch Test, and depending on where you go (just live there, or work for government, or schools) you'll need to have the corresponding/required level for Dutch.

if you have a job which requires it then ofc you need to know the language

if you don't then I'm pretty sure you can do without it :roll:

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

LICA98 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:48 pm

It's not for the job that I speak, it's a law (with exceptions)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrati ... etherlands
You may switch to wiki Dutch for all details.

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Basler Biker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:00 pm

well the exceptions seem to be quite broad

anyway I didn't know NL was that xenophobic, I always thought it was more immigrant friendly :|

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

LICA98 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:18 pm

anyway I didn't know NL was that xenophobic, I always thought it was more immigrant friendly :|

well, I am sorry, but all countries that I have worked and lived in have the equivalent law. Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, ... and to me there is nothing unfriendly towards immigrants in wanting them to speak the local language - on the contrary, doing so they'll feel much better "welcome and accepted". It's in their favor ;-) and most countries have free resources to learn and get at the basic/minimum required level. Have worked in Finland too, Helsinki, for Nokia/Softplan/Mistel, in Vattuniemenkuja ... but I don't know the laws there... ;-)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Basler Biker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:25 pm
LICA98 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:18 pm

well, I am sorry, but all countries that I have worked and lived in have the equivalent law. Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, ... and to me there is nothing unfriendly towards immigrants in wanting them to speak the local language - on the contrary, doing so they'll feel much better "welcome and accepted". It's in their favor ;-) and most countries have free resources to learn and get at the basic/minimum required level. Have worked in Finland too, Helsinki, for Nokia/Softplan/Mistel, in Vattuniemenkuja ... but I don't know the laws there... ;-)

well there's a difference between encouraging people to learn a language and requiring them to pass exam just to be able to live in the country...

in Finland and other Nordic countries it's possible to live without any knowledge of the local language as everyone can speak English

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

In Germany we have people living here for 30-40 years and they don't speak German, they surround themselves with people who speak their language and avoid every contact to Germans. They don't respect German law, as they don't know / understand it. Sure, mainly a problem in the bigger cities, but these people don't live in small communities.
That's why it's required now to learn the basics.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

SweNedGuy
Belgium

How popular are Duolingo courses really?

Post by SweNedGuy »

I have worked on the opening post again. Data on the number of learners reaching XP-level 25 are now added. There was also some fine-tuning on the definitions of the columns and some more explanation of why the number of Duolingo subscriptions is necessarily a lot higher than the DuoMe committed active learners number.

A few contributions to the discrepancy:

• First: the real drop off rate is very high. More than half of the DL subscribers won't make it beyond a few lessons, at best some complete skills. They will never show up on DuoMe.

• Second: Many users are irregular: learning with fits and starts. Repetitive streak breakers won't make it to DuoMe inclusion. I guess about half the learners are like that. They may make it to XP-level 10, some may stay longer with DL as they are caught up in 'gamification', but most lack the discipline and commitment to fetch the owl.

• Third: Few learners may realize early on that the DuoLingo course level is nothing for them. If you have an (above) intermediate command of your target language, DL may be a waste of time. Yes, you can test out of the 'easy content' with a placement test. But, what if you test out of the complete course?

The third category may eventually stay on board if they choose a different language, either learning their new target language from scratch or only having a prior weak 'passive exposure'.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

As I've always been playing anything on my phone or tablet I found Duolingo because I was searching for a language learning site with a gaming factor.

And it worked: I've always had difficulties sticking to other learning tools (beside personal contacts / human teachers) but Duolingo got me and my French became decisively better. As the French course is one of the biggest I still have a lot of material in front of me.

... and I try to stay in the diamond league ...and I try to keep my streak of more than 1000...

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

memer21928

Post by memer21928 »

Interesting!

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Revised statistics layout at DuoMe:
For example: Statistics for English learners from Spanish
https://duome.eu/es/en

Statistics
97371 Students
97371 Trees
4242 L1 Trees ············· 4.36%
594 L2 Trees ··············· 0.61%
219 L3 Trees ················· 0.22%
149 L4 Trees ················· 0.15%
513 L5 Trees ················· 0.53%
37 Legendary Trees ····· 0.04%

5754 Golden Owls ······ 5.91%
760 Golden Trees ·········· 0.78%

68268 @ L25 ··············· 70.11%

The number of golden owls (5754) is decomposed in L1 trees (all skills to at least level 1) to L5 (all skills at least gold) and even Legendary trees (all skills legendary light blue). The number of learners at L25 remains added, but the number of learners at L10 has been dropped. The number of golden trees (which is transitory) remains on board.

Note: DuoLingo now mentions 36.3 million learners. The English course for Spanish speakers draws in notoriously many new subscriptions, but few (0.268%) eventually become committed learners listed on DuoMe.

Deleted User 3754

Post by Deleted User 3754 »

Last edited by Deleted User 3754 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Thanks for linking your post [mention]SweNedGuy[/mention] in the other thread so I will link my post here too.

Some more fancy tree Duome data about French, Spanish and Portuguese courses (from English) on 23. January 2023:

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:46 pm

French: www.duome.eu/en/fr
184196 Students
76605 @ L25 (30k XP) - 41.57%
16507 Golden Owls 8.96%
12043 L1 Trees
1454 L5 Trees
293 Legendary Trees

Spanish: www.duome.eu/en/es
222018 Students
102323 @ L25 (30k XP) - 46.06%
17083 Golden Owls - 7.69%
12661 L1 Trees
1492 L5 Trees
275 Legendary Trees

I like the (ratio) data for the Portuguese course much more:
www.duome.eu/en/pt

54988 Students
11253 @ L25 (30k XP) - 20.46%
10101 Golden Owls - 18.37%
5525 L1 Trees - 10.05%
1000 L2 Trees - 1.82%
634 L3 Trees - 1.15%
494 L4 Trees - 0.90%
2128 L5 Trees - 3.87%
320 Legendary Trees - 0.58%

Reminder: On mobile you first need to request the desktop site. Top right legend explanations, detailed statistics and all table columns are NOT listed on the mobile compact view.

I hope it is also in your interest to include the current (slightly updated) data here?

Has been a while with the thread date and entered sheet data.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Apsa25
Poland

Post by Apsa25 »

What an interesting topic!

pawndemic wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:30 pm

If I had to guess I would assume that most of the Duolingos user are either "gamer" or people who use Duolingo as a supplement. I don't know what motivation the "gamers" have . Maybe they learn to maximize their lingots or their XPs, their crowns, or they search the fastest walkthrough. So maybe getting an owl is not their main target.

I am definitely a gamer, though not only. I started Duo to re-learn German, which I learned as a child but then forgot most of it. But after I started learning, Dou caught me and I started more courses with various motivation.
And I was gathering days in my streak, lingots, and points. I love acumulating those numbers. Then I found duome and I could see even more shiny numbers on my profile page. So now I’m also accumulating L25, crowns and golden owls.
When my French and German trees got updated and I didn’t like the new ones, and did the tests at the end just to regain the golden owls. In the meanwhile Duolingo introduced new things to accumulate, like achievements and badges, so I accumulate them as well. Luckily I don’t have leagues anymore.
All those gaming things and duome statistics keep me going faster.
But at the same time I am learning and my curiosity about the languages grew. Though I can’t tell what my main goal is now, I guess it’s just having fun while learning.

And I agree that tree updates can be demotivating, especially when one had a golden tree and suddenly they have just half. And the longer course, the more effort is needed to reach the end. With Navaho and its 11 skills in the tree layout, you can easily go through all the lessons even if they don’t make much sense (like the list of body parts). With such short courses one of my goals is to get everything to legendary. And then I can just leave it.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Apsa25 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:44 am

But at the same time I am learning and my curiosity about the languages grew. Though I can’t tell what my main goal is now, I guess it’s just having fun while learning.

Exactly. That's also the main point for me " just having fun while learning "

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

SweNedGuy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:02 pm

The two missing Romance languages are Portuguese and Romanian. The former has a high subscriber base (though not to the tune of Spanish or French). The active learners percentage is above average and with an owl ratio above 20%, Portuguese learners are among the most dedicated.

Is there any rational explanation how the ACTIVE learners number has changed (increased) so much?

https://www.duolingo.com/courses/en at the moment shows 4.16 millions of Portuguese learners who have at least done one lesson in this year 2023 (or maybe during a period of one year, whatever staff tweaks their counting code to).

Your table from March 2022 shows 2.61 millions of Portuguese learners.

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Return to “Random Thoughts”