Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What would make the perfect language learning app?

Jetdriver
Great Britain

What would make the perfect language learning app?

Post by Jetdriver »

Quite a bit of negativity surrounds Duolingo, and even more so with the removal of the forums. Other criticisms revolve around some of the language learning content, portrayal of in depth grammar explanations and the reliance on having to utilise external sources to complement your learning. The ability to vocalise and structure sentences for real world useful conversations seems to be lacking in my humble opinion.
I’ve had a brief look at some of the competition and that also seems to be lacking.
So, I’m curious as to what constructive ideas this user base has that would make the ‘perfect’ language learning app? If indeed there could even be such a thing.

Liking this new forum alternative, by the way. Good work from those involved. It looks like a viable replacement.

Native: 🇬🇧 Learning: 🇵🇱

eI000yo

Re: What would make the perfect language learning app?

Post by eI000yo »

Unfortunately there is no perfect platform. And there is no perfect way to learn a second or foreign language.
And if you are looking for a free one, it is impossible to find one.
My way is to use no apps at all. I use the tools offered by web browsers, text to speech, for example, and Wikipedia, and dictionaries.
You also have the translators, now we have good translators, relative reliable translators: Deepl, for instance.
And other tools to practice pronunciation, speech to text tools.
You can learn vocabulary in Memrise. You can read and listen graded readings on LinqQ.
And, you can practice your writing in the forums…

Do you like Duolingo? Sometimes you can test your target language using it.
But, why use one book if you have a huge library? I say a book, but I could say an app.
I used Duolingo for a year and a half two hours a day. But, this did'nt work for me. I wasn't a waste of time, but… I improved very, very slowly. And I tried very different approaches, also laddering trees.
But, my advice is to try different apps, try different ways, don't stop to learn. Eventually you will improve!

Chess
Greece

Post by Chess »

Yes we have doume forums instead but it just doesn't have the same feeling.

check and mate

LizLizLiz
United States of America

Post by LizLizLiz »

I think it would be fantastic to have a speaking focused language platform for both mobile and desktop. There would be zoom meetings like the peer-to-peer ones that may go extinct at Duo. There would also be expanded options where people could improve speaking skills and cultural knowledge via virtual travel exchanges. Mobile devices would make this possible. Virtual reality would make this fabulous. I can dream, right?

Return to “Random Thoughts”