Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Adjectives

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

dakanga

Adjectives

Post by dakanga »

An Adjective gives you more information about a noun. It is a describing word.

In French an adjective must agree with the noun it is describing in both :

• gender – masculine or feminine
  • and number – singular or plural. (singular: one, or plural: many)

This means that French adjectives can have up to four different forms: masculine singular; feminine singular; masculine plural; and feminine plural.

Note: where the masculine single adjective ends in "e", the adjective is usually the same (inv / invariable) for the feminine.

Also, adjectives usually come AFTER the noun they are describing.

The exception for adjectives to this rule is for : Beauty, Age, Numbers, Goodness/badness, and Size - 'BANGS'. 'BANGS' come BEFORE the noun.

1. Adjectives usually come AFTER the noun they are describing, except in cases of Beauty, Age, Numbers, Goodness/badness, and Size . BANGS come BEFORE the noun.
  2. In English we usually use the adjective BEFORE the noun, that is why this is something English speakers need to be aware of.
  3. Like verbs, French adjectives change to agree in gender and number with the nouns that they modify, which means there can be up to four forms of each adjective - singular masculine (m) ; singular feminine (f) ; masculine plural (mp); feminine plural (fp).
  4. Most French adjectives add e for feminine and s for plural.
    joli : pretty
    Singular
    masculine. . . feminine
    Plural
    masculine. . . feminine
    joli (m) . . . jolie (f)jolis (mp) . .jolies (fp)
  5. Colors are also adjectives. They give extra descriptions to a noun.
  6. Numbers, when used to modify nouns/noun phrases/pronouns, are adjectives. Thus also come before the noun they describe. That is also why they are part of the mnemonic BANGS.

Exceptions

1. A common exception is where the masculine form ends in e, then it is usually the same for the feminine form.
    Check out: facile ; jeune ; liquide ; propre ; sale from Adjectives 1.
    From Colors, for

• pink : rose (m)(f) . . . le rose , la rose
    • red : rouge (m)(f) . . . le rouge , la rouge
    • yellow : jaune (m)(f) . . le jaune , la jaune
  2. Some invariable colors, do NOT have different spelling for masculine/feminine singular/plural are:

• brown : maron (m)(f)(mp)(fp)
    • orange : orange (m)(f)(mp)(fp)
      Originally posted by Shanigans:
    • Colour adjectives don't change if the colour is also a word (of a flower or something)
      So you would say une fleur rose, un livre rose, des fleurs rose et des livres rose.
      Also
      Watch out for plurals in the color adjectives:
      "Des vaches blanches et noires means that there are white cows and black cows
      While: "Des vaches noir et blanc" means that each cow is black and white.
  3. There are a couple of masculine singular adverbs that have a different spelling when they are followed by a noun that begins with a vowel or an "h".

dakanga

Re: Adjectives

Post by dakanga »

French Irregular Adjectives (Adjectifs irréguliers)

There are 5 in all, that are tad tricky.

As they

• are among the few adjectives that come before the noun they refer to.
    (Most adjectives in French come after the noun they refer to. )
  • have irregular feminine forms
  • and have three masculine forms.
typebeautifulcrazysoftnewold
singular
masc
beaufoumounouveauvieux
singular
masc
special
belfolmolnouvelvieil
singular
fem
bellefollemollenouvellevieille
plural
masc
beauxfousmousnouveauxvieux
plural
fem
bellesfollesmollesnouvellesveilles

Along with the standard rule where adjectives agree with the noun and gender and number of the noun they refer to, there is also another rule.

For masculine singular nouns that begin with a vowel (a, e, i, o, u) or a mute "h".
A mute h is the times a h that "acts" like a vowel. see: https://www.lawlessfrench.com/pronunciation/h-muet/

Check out the links in the table to see further examples in sentences, that are from the Duolingo Dictionary.

Further information

Adjectives that come before the noun in French

masc : masculine
fem : feminine

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Grammar French [GF] : Possessive Adjectives

Possessive adjectives (les adjectifs possessifs). In French, they agree with the object that is owned/referred to. In English our possessive agrees with the person who 'owns' the object. If the noun begins with a vowel sound, you always use the male possessive adjective. This is to make it sound 'right'/ make it easier to say. For plural, there is no difference between masculine and feminine.

masculinefeminineBefore a vowel soundpluralEnglish
monmamonmesyou
tontatontesyour-personal
sonsasonseshis/her/its
notrenotrenosour
votrevotrevosyour
leurleurleurstheir

My father = Mon père
My mother = Ma mère
But here's where it gets interesting for English speakers:
His father = Son père
Her father = Son père
You might have noticed that "his" and "her" are exactly the same in the above sentences. In French the possessive adjective doesn't change to reflect the gender of the subject (him or her). So "his father" and "her father" end up being exactly the same: "Son père".

And also....
Her father = Son père
Her mother = Sa mère
The gender of the possessive adjective instead changes depending on the gender of the noun. In that example, père (father) is quite obviously a masculine noun. Mère (mother) is a feminine noun. "Her" is the adjective that has to change to agree with the noun. So :
Son père could be either "His father" or "Her father".
Sa mère could be either "His mother" or "Her mother".

• C'est le chat de Marie ; c'est son chat.
    It is Marie's cat ; it is her cat. (it is a cat, and it could be a male cat )
  • C'est la chatte de Marie ; c'est sa chatte.
    It is Marie's cat ; it is her cat. (as it is a FEMALE cat )
  • Mon père travaille dur.
    My father works hard.
  • Nous avons trouvé tes chaussures.
    We have found your shoes.
  • Nous gardons leurs enfants.
    We are looking after their children.

For audio, check out :

Also note:
French possessive adjectives never take elision
m’, t’, s’ stand for me, te, se - french reflexive pronouns. They are not possessive adjectives.

( note. if you hold down the " ctrl " button and " left click " it will open up the related link/audio in a separate tab. Thus keeping this one open here.)

Suggested extended reading:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Positioning matters

And one language, and the way it is used, it is unique and different to the other.

In French, when it is behind, it is a description of the noun, like colour.
Putting it in front gives it an emotional nuance.

To quote the below snipit of conversation from Duolingo:

Originally posted by

• Josh5now : One of my favorite examples: Le grand requin blanc :)
  • St.Brieux : Very helpful. Shows the figurative (before) and the literal (after).
  • j.wilder : How is "grand" figurative here? I think it is literally a "big white whale." I would have thought that "grand" preceded the noun not because it was figurative, but because it was describing size.
  • gurgelgui : "Grand" is figurative in this case, because it means "great", this sentence translates to "The great white shark". If it were describing size it would come after the noun. This link is very helpful to understand about adjectives with figurative meanings: http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a/ad ... fickle.htm
  • PeaceJoyPancakes : That resource doesn't tell the whole story about "grand(e)".
    In describing a person, grand is "great" when it comes before the noun, and "tall" after, but otherwise, it means "large" or "tall" when it comes before the noun. So "grand requin blanc" can indeed be interpreted as just "large white shark".
    The issue with the English "great white shark" is that "great" is not (necessarily or technically) expressing a figurative or subjective judgement in this particular expression. As with many animal and place names, it can actually be considered to be describing simply the relative size of the entity compared to others of its kind, and not necessarily its perceived magnificence. "Great", "greater", "lesser", "least", etc. are often used this way. Some animal examples:

Great

• Great cormorant
    • Great egret
    • Great horned owl
    • Great kiskadee
    • Great skua
    • Great white pelican

Greater

• Greater adjutant stork
    • Greater blue-eared starling
    • Greater flamingo
    • Greater kudu
    • Greater rhea
    • Greater roadrunner
    • Greater sage grouse

Lesser

• Lesser double-collared sunbird
    • Lesser flamingo
    • Lesser masked weaver
    • Lesser mouse lemur

Least

• Least chipmunk\
      (An interesting question to consider is which meaning of "grand(e)" is its "usual" meaning, "magnificent" or "large"?)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Originally posted by d.batta :

It's important to notice that before these adjectives in the plural form the partitive article "des" becomes "de": ex. "j'ai de nouveaux amis", "il y avait de gros problèmes".

Moreover, as my French teacher explained me, one can put an adjective who counts more than two syllables before a noun to put more emphasis to the sentence:
ex. "nous avons visité un magnifique musée!"

To which was originally posted by Oranjj :
Thanks for sharing! So if it's not plural but still bangs, would it stay as either du or de la? (e.g. La girafe a "du" long cou)? Or would it be de instead, or even just un?

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Originally posted by PERCE_NEIGE
You can play with the place of adjectives in French, when the adjective can be placed either before or after the noun (as it is the case with some adjective), you can change the meaning or emphatize something by moving the adjective. Ex: une jolie fille (a pretty girl), is not exactly the same than une fille jolie. The second turn of phrase is less common, but emphatize more on "jolie" than the first one.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Originally posted by giuliap

"C'est une femme grande" and "C'est une grande femme" mean two different things. First case: "She is a big woman", the second "she is a great woman". Also "propre" and "certain" have a different meaning when put before or after the noun.

Originaly posted by mizinamo

Also "pauvre" - "the poor child" meaning "the child who is to be pitied" is "le pauvre enfant" while "the poor child" meaning "the child who has no money" is "l'enfant pauvre", if I remember correctly.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Here is a query,

Originally posted by Paul980144 :

I have a puzzle...

If I encounter an adjective that falls in one of the BRANGS+T groups, and that word has both a figurative and literal meaning, how can I be sure that I properly understand the meaning?

For example, if I encounter "J'ai une grande cuisine", how do I know that the writer was talking about size, and not how awesome the kitchen is?

Or the opposite? If the writer intended to imply that the kitchen is totally awesome by using the word "grande"?

This alternative interpretation of the meaning of "grande" is implied in the earlier conversation. If it isn't applicable, please simply say so and then answer the real question.

To be perfectly clear, don't give me examples of ways in which the phrasing could be modified to clarify - I just want to know how any reader can be certain about the author's intention when the adjective used is in this situation.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

• bas (m), basse (f) ; bas (mp) / basses (fp) : low, base , wiktionary
  • beau (m) , bel (mv) , belle (f) ; beaux (mp) , belles (fp): handsome, beautiful, wiktionary BEFORE
  • bête (m)(f) ; bêtes (mp)(fp) : silly, inept
    (noun (f): beast, animal, brute) , wiktionary
  • bien (m) ; is an adverb - adverbs often tell when, where, why, or under what conditions something happens or happened. biens (mp) wiktionary
    When to use bon/bonne/bien
  • blond (m) , blonde (f) blonds (mp) , blondes (fp) : blond , wiktionary
  • bon (m) , bonne(f) bons (mp) , bonnes (fp): good , wiktionary / bon, bonne or bien? BEFORE
    related term bien
  • ce (m) , cet (mv) , cette (f) ces (mp)(fp) : this, that , wiktionary
    Other discusions: demonstratives ; ce, ça, and cette
  • chaud (m) , chaude (f) chauds (mp) , chaudes (fp) : hot, warm , wiktionary
    il est chaud. . . . expresion. . . . . . . . .It is hot. (for the weather)
  • cher (m) , chère (f) ; chers (mp) , chères (fp) : dear, costly , wiktionary
  • clair (m) , claire (f) ; clairs (mp) , claires (fp) : clear , wiktionary
  • court (m) , courte (f) ; courts (mp) , courtes (fp) : short , wiktionary
  • dernier (m) , dernière (f) ; derniers (mp), dernières (fp) : last, rearmost , wiktionary
  • différent (m) , différente (f) ; différents (mp) , différentes (fp) : different , wiktionary
  • difficile (m)(f) ; difficiles (mp)(fp) : difficult , wiktionary
  • doux (m) , douce (f) doux (mp), douces (fp) : fresh , wiktionary
  • drôle (m)(f) drôles (mp)(fp) : funny, comic, amusing , wiktionary
  • duré (m) , durée (f) , durés (mp), durées (fp) : hard, tough , wiktionary
  • énorme (m)(f) énormes (mp)(fp) : large , wiktionary
  • entier (m), entière (f) entiers (mp) , entières (fp) : all of it , wiktionary
  • étrange (m)(f) étranges (mp)(fp): strange , wiktionary
  • facile (m)(f) faciles (mp)(fp) : easy , wiktionary
    il est facile . . . . expresion. . . . . . . . . It is easy
  • faible (m)(f) faibles (mp)(fp) : low, small, weak , wiktionary
  • fort (m) forte (f) forts (mp) , fortes (fp) : strong , wiktionary
  • fou (m), fol (mv) , folle (f) fous (mp), folles (fp) : crazy, mad , wiktionary
  • franc (m) , franche (f) francs (mp), franches (fp) : to be frank, candid , wiktionary
  • froid (m) , froide (f) froids (mp) , froides (fp) : cold , wiktionary
    il est froid . . . . . .expresion. . . . . . . . It is cold. (for the weather)
  • génial (m) , géniale (f) géniaux (mp) , géniales (fp) : great, super , wiktionary
  • gentil (m) , gentille (f) gentils (mp) , gentilles (fp) : nice, decent , wiktionary
  • grand (m) , grande (f) grands (mp) , grandes (fp) : tall , wiktionary *BEFORE
  • grave (m)(f) graves (mp)(fp) : serious , wiktionary
  • gros (m) , grose (f) gross (mp) , groses (fp) : big , wiktionary BEFORE
  • impossible (m)(f) impossibles (mp)(fp) : incredible, far fetched , wiktionary
  • jeune (m)(f) jeunes (mp)(fp) : young , wiktionary BEFORE
  • joli (m) , jolie (f) jolis (mp) , jolies (fp) : pretty , wiktionary
  • laid (m) , laide (f) laids (mp) , laides (fp) : ugly , wiktionary
  • large (m)(f) larges (mp)(mf) : wide, broad, sweeping, big , wiktionary
  • léger (m) , légère(f) légers (mp) , légères (fp) : light , wiktionary
  • liquide (m)(f) liquides (mp)(fp) : fluid , wiktionary
  • long (m) , longue (f) longs (mp) , longues (fp) : elongated, time consuming , wiktionary
  • lourd (m) , lourde (f) lourds (mp) , lourdes (fp) : heavy , wiktionary
  • malade (m)(f) malades (mp)(mf) : sick , wiktionary
  • mauvais (m) , mauvaise (f) mauvaiss (mp) , mauvaises (fp) : bad , wiktionary
  • méchant (m) , méchante (f) méchants (mp) , méchantes (fp) : nasty, bad , wiktionary
  • même (m)(f) mêmes (mp)(mf) : same , wiktionary
  • mort (m) , morte (f) morts (mp) , mortes (fp) : dead , wiktionary
  • moyen (m) , moyenne (f) moyens (mp) , moyennes (fp) : average , wiktionary
  • naturel (m) , naturelle (f) naturels (mp), naturelles (fp) : natural, easy , wiktionary
  • noir (m) , noire (f) noirs (mp) , noires (fp) : black , wiktionary
  • nombreux (m) , nombreuse (f) nombreux (mp) , nombreuses (fp) : numbers , wiktionary
  • nouveau (m) , nouveaue (f) nouveaus (mp) , nouveaues (fp) : new , wiktionary
  • nouveau (m) , nouvel (mv) , nouvelle nouveaux (mp) , nouvelles (fp) : new , wiktionary BEFORE
  • nu (m) , nue (f) nus (mp) , nues (fp) : naked, bare , wiktionary
  • nul (m) , nulle (f) nuls (mp) , nulles (fp) : nothing , wiktionary
  • parfait (m) , parfaite (f) parfaits (mp) , parfaites (fp) : perfect , wiktionary
  • pauvre (m)(f) pauvres (mp)(fp) : poor , wiktionary
  • petit (m) , petite (f) petits (mp) , petites (fp) : small , wiktionary BEFORE
  • première (m) , premier (f) premières (mp)(fp) : first , wiktionary BEFORE
  • prêt (m) , prête (f) prêts (mp) , prêtes (fp) : ready , wiktionary
  • propre (m)(f) propres (mp)(fp) : clean , wiktionary
  • pur (m) , pure (f) purs (mp) , pures (fp) : pure , wiktionary
  • quel (m) , quelle (f) quels (mp) , quelles (fp) : what, which , wiktionary
  • rapide (m)(f) rapides (mp)(fp) : quickly , wiktionary
  • rond (m) , ronde (f) ronds (mp) , rondes (fp) : round , wiktionary
  • sale (m)(f) sales (mp)(fp) : dirty , wiktionary
  • sec (m) , sèche (f) secs (mp) , sèches (fp) : dry , wiktionary
  • second (m) seconde (f) secondes (mp)(fp) : second , wiktionary
  • sensible (m)(f) sensibles (mp)(fp) : sensitive, responsive , wiktionary
  • sérieux (m) , sérieuse (f) sérieux (mp) , sérieuses (fp) : serious , wiktionary
  • seul (m) , seule (f) seuls (mp) , seules (fp) : alone , wiktionary
  • simple (m)(f) simples (mp)(fp) : easy, straight forward , wiktionary
  • sombre (m)(f) sombres (mp)(fp) : dark, gloomy , wiktionary
  • sûr (m) , sûre (f) sûrs (mp) , sûres (fp) : safe, certain, reliable , wiktionary
  • sympa (m)(f) sympas (mp)(fp) : nice, friendly , wiktionary
  • tard (m)(f) tard (mp)(fp) : late , wiktionary
  • troisième (m)(f) troisièmes (mp)(fp) : third , wiktionary
  • vrai (m) , vraie (f) vrais (mp) vraies (fp) : true, real, correct , wiktionary
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Let's talk about Agreement!

All
adjectives
and words like my, your, and so on, change based on the
noun
they describe.​

• Adjectives (such as “red,” “funny,” and “interesting”) describe people, places, or things.
  • A noun is the name of something, such as a thing (“spoon”), an idea (“love”), a place (“Atlanta”), or a person (“Maria”).

mon voisin amusant
​my funny neighbor (masculine, singular)

ma voisine amusante
​​my funny neighbor (feminine, singular)

mes voisins amusants
​my funny neighbors (plural, masculine, or mixed/unknown masculine/femine)

mes voisines amusantes
​my funny neighbors (plural, femine group only)

From tips in the skill Agreement, before check point 2

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Talk about yourself or someone else.

meaning FEMININE
singular
MASCULINE
singular
plural
my ma monmes
your
(singular/familiar)
tatontes
his / hersasonses
ournotrenotrenos
your
(plural/formal)
votrevotrevos
theirleurleurleurs

Possessive adjectives come before the noun, and show who something or someone belongs to .

###Also see skill :

• Family (before checkpoint 1)
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Originally posted by MadameSensei

I like to play a dice game for this one. Students get in pairs, and I give them three dice.

Dice #1:

If you roll a 1, you get mon/ma/mes

2= ton/ ta /tes

3=son/ sa /ses

4 = notre/nos

5= votre/vos

6 = leur / leurs

Dice #2 (I know, it's "die," not "dice"... :) )

1= stylo

2 = crayon

3 = carnet

4 = cahier

5 = gomme

6 = trousse

Dice #3

Evens = plural

Odds = singular

Students roll the dice and then make sentences or phrases based on the random objects they roll.

I am completely on my feet, working the room, eavesdropping, and correcting mistakes and misunderstandings the very moment they appear.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

funny, amusing

NUMBER FEMININE MASCULINE
singular amusante amusant
plural amusantes amusants

In French,
adjectives
can look different depending on the
Normally, feminine adjectives end in e.

Adjectives (such as “red,” “funny,” and “interesting”) describe people, places, or things.

If you're talking about a
plural
noun
, add s to the
adjective.

gender: In French, nouns are either masculine or feminine, even when they don’t refer to people.

Also see skill :

• Family 2 (before check point 1)

French
adjectives
usually come after the
noun
they're describing. So, a green bike would be
un vélo vert.

une université française
a French university

le thé vert
the green tea

le restaurant mexicain
the Mexican restaurant

Also see skill :

• City (before check point 2)

In other grammar books you may find this referred to as grammatical agreement, where quite a number of parts of speach agree with the gender of the noun.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Originally posted by MadameSensei

Agreement is something that trips up even the most advanced student. Just today, I was teaching my students the lyrics to a toe-tapper by Claude François, Belinda. The lyrics go:

Elle a les yeux bleus, Belinda

Elle a le front blond, Belinda

Although the students knew instantly to add an "s" to "bleus" because Belinda has two eyeballs, they were still tripped up over "Why don't we put an 'e' on the end of 'blond?'" I had to show them that it's Belinda's bangs that are blond (her "forehead."). It has nothing to do with how pretty Belinda is.

As my students learn adjectival agreement, I like to have them play Guess Who. I printed a page with the characters that we either read or watch movies. There are Asterix and Obelix, Tintin and Capitaine Haddock, Marinette and Adrian and Miraculous Ladybug and Chat noir, Arsène Lupin, Christine from The Phantom of the Opera, Nico from Une vie de chat... Whatever they are familiar with. I do full body pictures, so that the students can describe their clothing as well as their faces. I had our school secretary print 30 copies in color and laminate them. I have a box of bingo chips I rescued from the dumpster years ago.

Students get in pairs and each draws a card which tells them the character that they have. They then have to guess their partner's character. "Tu as les yeux marron?" If the answer is "oui," then students can put bingo chips on all the blue-eyed people. They keep going until they can figure out who the character is.

When the students get good enough at it, I tell them that they can say "non" if the question is ungrammatical. "Tu es les cheveux bruns?" They are allowed to answer "non," because they are not brown hair. They may HAVE brown hair, but that wasn't the question now, was it? :)

Eventually, I tell the students that today is their exam, and I walk around the room with a clipboard, listening for pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary. I love to give tests which are actually games. Students focus on the game and do not stress about the test.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

• âgé (adj) : age, number of years old collins
  • ancien (m) | ancienne (f) (adj) : old ; note: the doubling of the n collins
  • aucun (determiner) : no, none collins

Il n'a aucun ami. : He has no friends | Aucun enfant ne pourrait le faire. No child could do that. | plus cher qu'aucun autre : more expensive than any other

• blond (adj) : fair haired collins
  • brun (adj) : dark, dark brown for a person's hair, for other brown objects - use the word marron. collins
    (ps. Check my previous notes on this - I am yet to relocate them and link them here)
  • bruyant (adj) : noisy collins
  • célèbre (adj) : famous note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
    célèbrer (verb) to be famous
    je célèbre | tu célèbres | il/elle célèbre
    nous célébrons | vous célébrez | ils/elles célèbrent
  • célibataire (adj) : single note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • certain (adj) : some, certain collins
  • chaque (determiner) : each, every collins
  • cinquième (adj) : fifth note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • complet (m) | complète (f) (adj) : complete
    Note the accent grave on the e collins
  • cru (adj) : raw. i.e. de la viande crue :* raw meat | du jambon cru : cured ham collins
  • croire (verb) : to believe
    Présent : je crois | tu crois | il/elle croit
    nous croyonds | vous croyey | ils/elles croient (have) believed
    Passé composé : j'ai cru | tu as cru | il/elle a cru
    nous avons crue | vous avez cru | ils/elles ont cru
  • dangereux (m) | dangereuse (f) (adj) : dangerous collins
  • efficace (adj) : efficient, effective
    note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • électrique (adj) : electrical note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • entier (m) | entière (f) (adj) : whole, entire collins
  • facile (adj) : easy note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • faux (m) | fausse (f) (adjf) : wrong, forged, false, fake collins
  • fermé (m) | fermée (f) (adj) : closed see above for rules for é endings collins
  • fin (adj) : thin, fine, slim collins
  • fixé (m) | fixée (f) (adj) : appointed see above for rules for é endings collins
  • franc (adj) : straightforward, open, frank collins
  • gras (m) | grasse (f) (adj) : fatty, greasy collins
  • haut (adj) : high, tall collins
  • idéal (adj) : ideal note masculine plural : idéalaux collins
  • incroyable (adj) : incredible note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • indépendant (adj) : independant collins
  • indispensable (adj) : essential, indispensable note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • intéressant (adj) : interesting collins
  • inutile (adj) : useless, unnecessary note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • libre (adj) : free, clear note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • liquide (adj) : liquid, cash note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • logique (adj) : logical note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • lourd (adj) : heavy collins
  • magnifique (adj) : magnificent
    note: same all the time, same for masculine, feminine and plural. collins
    magnifique is one of those special adjectives that can go before the noun, as well as of course - following the standard rule of going AFTER the noun.
  • marié (adj) : married see above for rules for é endings collins
  • meilleur (adj) : better, cheaper collins
  • normal : normal
  • ordinaire (adj) : ordinary, common, usual, everyday note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • pareil (m) | pareille (f) (adj) : the same, parallel, such as collins
  • parfait (adj) : perfect collins
  • personnel (m) | *personnelle (f) (adj) : staff, personal collins
  • pire (adj) : worse, worst note: same for masculine or feminine. collins
  • plat (adj) : flat, dull collins
  • plusieurs (determiner)(pronoun) : several collins
  • populaire (adj) : popular, mass, vernacular, working-class collins
  • possible (adj) : possible, feasible collins
  • pratique (adj) : practice collins
  • précieux (m) | précieuse (f) (adj) : precious, invaluable collins
  • précis (adj) : precise, accurate collins
    How do you do the masculine plural for précis ?
  • privé (adj) : private collins
  • profond (adj) : deep, depth, profound collins
  • prudent (adj) : careful, wise, sensible, cautious collins
  • puissant (adj) : powerful collins
  • quatrième (adj) : fourth collins
  • quelque (adj) : some, whichever, something, somewhere collins | quelques : a few
  • réel (m) | réelle (f) (adj) : real collins
  • responsable (adj) : responsible, liable, in charge of collins
  • rond (adj) : round, well-rounded, honest, drunk, tight, put up with collins
  • roux (m) | rousse (f) (adj) : red - used to describe a color of HAIR. collins
    does it have a plural ?
  • sage (adj) : wise, wiser, good collins
  • sauvage (adj) : wild, unspoiled, ferocious, fierce, unauthorized collins
  • secret (m) | secrète (f) (adj) : secret, secretive collins
  • solide (adj) : solid collins
  • spécial (adj) : special Note : masculine plural spéciaux collins
  • tel (m) | telle (f) (adj) : such, like it collins
  • tout (adj) : all Note : plurals tous (mp) | toutes (fp) collins
  • vieux or vieil (m) | vieille (f) (adj) : old collins
  • vivant (adj) : alive, living, modern collins

----
Use "c'est" before nouns with articles (un/une, le/la) or possessives (mon/ma).
The rule is that when "il est" or "elle est" are followed by a modified noun (= determiner + noun), they change to "c'est" + modified noun.

On the same rule, in plural, "ils sont" and "elles sont" change to "ce sont".

C'est fermé maintenant.
Il est maintenant fermé.

C'est un magnifique animal !
C'est un animal magnifique !

In french the normal place for an adjective is after the noun, although according to french-linguistics they can go before the noun in certain cases.

In general:

• the 'default' place for the adjective is after the noun;
  • certain 'basic' or 'functional' adjectives go before the noun;
  • certain adjectives change their meaning or emphasis depending on whether they're before or after the noun.
    ---

Could "c'est fermée" be correct if it was referring to a feminine noun being closed |
No, "C'est fermée" is grammatically incorrect. If referencing a feminine noun, I would use the phrase "Elle est fermée". "Est-ce que l'école est fermée? Oui, elle est fermée."
---

Whew, I am so glad I have got to this stage. Note if you click on collins it will take you to the collins dictionary, where you also get sentence examples and ALSO - you can check out the AUDIO for the words :) . Note, I have also put some questions in here - that I would love someone to give me answers on, and I will fix it up here. And perhaps someone has some other questions - or interesting insights into the words above - that they would like to share on this skill level.
Comme toujours, votre ami dans l'apprentissage, votre Kanga.

gscottoliver
United States of America

Post by gscottoliver »

dakanga wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:13 pm

Regarding bien vs. bon, there is a Duolingo sentence with this comment: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/335 ... d=36890310. My assertion is that whether a concert is good absolutely is a matter of sensual pleasure, so bon should be accepted, but it isn’t.

ScottO
NATIVE: 🇺🇸 Studying: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹 🇪🇸 🇧🇷 Image Image

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

To elaborate further on the great discussion point by gscottoliver, the sentence being discussed is :

"The concert is good; however, I'm hot."
Translation:
Le concert est bien, par contre j'ai chaud.

This is my first attempt to explain this. And as such, I am going to seek to make it short. However there is a lot in this issue. It is an excellent question.

• Most of the time bien means ‘well‘, ‘correctly’ and ‘right’

• while bon means “good”

• Use bon (feminine bonne) to give more description to nouns and with the verbs être (to be), sembler (to seem), paraître (to appear), avoir l’air (to look like)

• Use bien with verbs

But there are so many exceptions one can hardly consider these rules.

To express the sentence :
"The concert is good."
it is more "common" to say (in my opinion, experience) :
Le concert est bien.

As this is expressing your opinion, likes/dislikes or satisfaction/dissatisfaction.

While if you say :
Le concert est bon.

It has a different meaning, a different twist. It is not uncommon that you can not correctly capture all the nuances of a language in a translation to another language.
In this case you are expressing more than your opinion. You are making a statement that the concert is good, of high quality, and that this is not just an opinion of yours.

In linguee, to use "bon" to describe a concert, it shows the examples, either the concert as being sold out, or talking about it in the past, after it has finished.

https://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais ... rt est bon

Yet to make a statement, and use it as an adjective, you would use "bon" and not "bein".
i.e.
This is a good concert.
C'est un bon concert.

Here "bon" is an adjective and is describing the noun as good, high quality, useful, pleasant, as in valid, etc. It is a statement. Not an expression of your opinion.
(Adjectives describe nouns.)

Please, do correct me if I have misunderstood this. I am also learning.
Also, perhaps someone could do a better job at explaining this.

Return to “Topic”