Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] What is the import of נא and אנא?

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVE] What is the import of נא and אנא?

Post by Corinnebelle »

FMG.2 wrote:

Hello,

I have a somewhat philosophical question I guess and I was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I see on the Formal Hebrew module that the two particles mentioned above "soften" commands", but this wouldn't ever carry with it the connotation of turning a command into a request or an exhortation now would it?

I'm thinking of the Tanakh and several phrases such as הושיע נא, now since this would be spoken to hashem it would be a request and not an order, right? But when He says something to the people in the Tanakh such as "קח נא" or "שמע נא" (Those are only examples off the top of my head, I'm not even sure if they show up exactly like that in the Tanakh).

It wouldn't be right to say these phrases become exhortations rather than commands, right?

Archive of comments

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Biblical Hebrew”