Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Email publicly disclosed (default setting) in Japanese

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

MsFixer
Japan

Email publicly disclosed (default setting) in Japanese

Post by MsFixer »

There is a critical mistranslation between English and Japanese interface translations.

When you go to; User Control Panel >> Board preferences >> Edit global settings

The first item in English is "Users can contact me by email: Yes/No"
The first item in Japanese is "メールアドレスを公開する: Yes/No" (meaning "Your email address is publicly disclosed")

And the default setting after the first attempt to log in is "YES". This mistranslation causes a huge security concern among Japanese speakers who set their user interface in Japanese.

If the first item on the User CP functions exactly the same both in English and Japanese, please revise the translation
Incorrect (current): メールアドレスを公開する

Correct (proposed): 他ユーザからのメールを受信する

The same concern is raised by another Japanese-speaking user here.

MsFixer with Pulau Bahasa | Native: 🇯🇵 | Learning: 🇮🇩 (B1)

luo-ning

Re: Email publicly disclosed (default setting) in Japanese

Post by luo-ning »

That seems like a correct translation to me, no? Can contact = is public.

Unless you mean that the option is automatically switched to "yes" on switching to Japanese locale? But that would be a bug, not a mistranslation. If that's the case, I can't replicate it on my end right now, but maybe it's somehow related to this other localization issue?

🦀 Pensando en la inmortalidad del cangrejo 🏴‍☠️ Flags Are Not Languages

MsFixer
Japan

Post by MsFixer »

The Japanese sentence means "your email address (e.g. abcdfe@gmail.com) is automatically displayed so that everyone including non-Duome users can see it and send spam messages to you". That's the implication of 公開する in Japanese. It shouldn't happen without getting consent from users. It shouldn't be the default setting. That's why another Japanese-native speaker hesitates to invite other Duolingo users to Duome forum. I'm not twisting the meaning.

MsFixer with Pulau Bahasa | Native: 🇯🇵 | Learning: 🇮🇩 (B1)

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

Ahh I see, my mistake. I read Chinese but not Japanese so the only bits I understood were 公開 and 他 ... 受信 😅

🦀 Pensando en la inmortalidad del cangrejo 🏴‍☠️ Flags Are Not Languages

Return to “Requests new Duome features”