Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVED] Ethiopia/Amharic Posts Directory

justheaven

[ARCHIVED] Ethiopia/Amharic Posts Directory

Post by justheaven »

Original Post by: linguafiqari: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/6898089 | Archived DL page: https://archive.ph/hlDMz

Image linguafiqari:

The language I really want on Duolingo is Amharic (አማርኛ). Amharic is the official language of Ethiopia with around 26 million speakers globally. This directory contains all my posts about Ethiopia and Amharic (any future ones will be added as they are written) plus my website, to try and get more people interested in both the country and the language so that the Duolingo team will hopefully get Amharic on here sooner!

Why do I want to learn Amharic?

Good question! I went to Zambia in 2014 from June 23 - July 6, and we flew with Ethiopian Airlines with a connecting flight from Addis Ababa Bole Airport. Before the trip I didn't know Amharic existed, so I was confused as to what language I was seeing on the plane. I asked the passenger next to me, and he told me it was Amharic. So, when I got back from Zambia I looked it up, as what I'd seen and heard on the plane and in the airport had really fascinated me. I then started to learn it and, seeing as it is the official language of Ethiopia, started to learn about Ethiopian culture, history, and cuisine - all three of which really intrigued me. I am also learning Amharic as it helps serve as a memento of my trip to Zambia, which was life-changing.

Why should you learn Amharic?

Ethiopia has an incredible history and culture. It is a beautiful country with many fascinating and distinct landmarks, lovely people, and (what I think to be) delicious food. Amharic is also a very interesting and beautiful language - it is a Semitic language, and therefore shares a few words with Arabic. However, it is for the most part very unique. For example, the script Amharic is written in is the Ge'ez script (in Amharic: ግዕዝ), a script unlike any other in the world. Ge'ez is the language from which Amharic is descended, and is no longer spoken in Ethiopia. Not yet convinced? Read the posts below and see if you change your mind...

“I'm interested in learning Amharic. What do I do?”

Firstly, you can try my website and the lessons below to start learning Amharic, join the Facebook group if you'd like, or join the Discord server. You can vote for Amharic in polls/mention Amharic as a language you are interested in learning. Please also upvote this post and tell any bilingual English & Amharic speakers about the incubator, and ask them to apply if they can!

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

justheaven

Re: [ARCHIVED] Ethiopia/Amharic Posts Directory

Post by justheaven »

Amharic Course- Table of Contents

Original Post by: AmharicYohan: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/17526026 | Archived Dl page: https://archive.ph/xjRpo

Image AmharicYohan:

Here is the table of contents for all the lessons I will be posting. It will update as this happens.

Lesson 1: Personal Pronouns and Gemination --- Archived

Lesson 2: Possessive Suffixes (and some new nouns) --- Archived

Lesson 3: Elision and Possessive Pronouns --- Archived

Good luck! መልካም ዕድል! Mälkam ïddïl! :)

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

Oliver
Australia

Post by Oliver »

Thanks for archiving this! The old forums were such a great resource for Amharic, so it's great to still have access to them!

🇮🇳 25 Image 25 🇯🇵 25 🇪🇸 25 🇰🇷 25 🇩🇪 25 🇫🇷 22 🇷🇺 20 🇬🇷 20 🇹🇿 18 Image 17 🇮🇹 17 🇮🇩 14 🇨🇳 14 🇺🇦 12 🇳🇴 11

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

So is Amharic right to left or left to right, seeing it is a Semitic language? Really fascinating for Africa.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Languages not yet covered...”