Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[QANDA] When to use OM, or not.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

[QANDA] When to use OM, or not.

Post by Basler Biker »

Question from sgorin on Duolingo (short quote)
I keep putting OM where it doesn't belong or forgetting it. Is there a rule as to when OM is used? Thanks!!!
Most of the time it follows tycker. In looking at one category, I find om agget, om vegetarianen, om teet, om kycklingen, etc. In other samples on kycklingen, the om isn't there in the sentence. I've found that if tycker is used, om seems to follow.

skalpadda answered on Duolingo (exact quote)
There are lots of uses for om.

Basler Biker - added this link, explaining all use-cases
https://svenska.se/so/?id=157971_1&pz=7

The basic meaning is if or about but it can have other meanings and also forms a part of lots of phrasal verbs. Giving catergorical rules for when you should or should not use it is pretty much impossible.

Tycker om is a phrasal/particle word that means like(s).
Jag tycker om maten - I like the food.
Tycker on its own means thinks in the sense of having an opinion about something,
so if you want to say that you like something the om is mandatory.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Return to “Frågor och svar”