Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Have you seen radio garden?

Corinnebelle

Have you seen radio garden?

Post by Corinnebelle »

I don't know if you've seen radio garden.

Just going through my resource posts and archiving links. I put this in the multilangauge resources, but I imagine if you've already read it you won't have seen my updates.

This is a great radio site where you can access international radio stations by hovering on the map.

Anywhere in the world!

I'm sure some of you know of it already.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 114

Re: Have you seen radio garden?

Post by Deleted User 114 »

I didn’t know of Radio Garden, I’m going to go check it out, thanks!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Jacko079 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:46 am

I didn’t know of Radio Garden, I’m going to go check it out, thanks!

It's really cool!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I didn't know of it and I must say that I'm loving it! It's an easy way to travel all around the world from radio station to radio station.

Thank you very much for sharing Corinnebelle :D

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Explorer wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:38 am

I didn't know of it and I must say that I'm loving it! It's an easy way to travel all around the world from radio station to radio station.

Thank you very much for sharing Corinnebelle :D

Someone shared this on the Hebrew forum a while ago, but it probably covers nearly every country on earth. Hundreds of languages! :)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Another interesting link I just archived is Digital Dialects

Shanks10082009 posted this on Duolingo.

Got 80 languages, including some I haven't seen many places.

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

Have known and used Radiogarden for a long time.
Unfortunateky, if you happen to reside in the UK, it is no longer possible to roam radio stations around the globe and you are restricted to UK mainland.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

Used Radio Garden and been very pleased with it until the service was blocked. Trying Radio World now.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Yes, I often listen to Radio Garden on this site:
http://radio.garden/visit/warsaw/VpaXMMVw

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Jade.S.Exner @Steve579062 That's a pity!

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

Steve579062 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:44 pm

Used Radio Garden and been very pleased with it until the service was blocked. Trying Radio World now.

I have been using Radio World for a while and I prefer it to Radio Garden as I do not care so much for graphics - I just want to pick a station from a particular country. Radio World has a simplistic interface allowing just that. One thing bothers me though: as I want to practice listening comprehension I am looking for channels with a lot o talking but what I find instead is mostly music broadcasts in my target languages.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

PtolemysXX wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:27 pm
Steve579062 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:44 pm

I want to practice listening comprehension I am looking for channels with a lot of talking but what I find instead is mostly music broadcasts in my target languages.

Learning English you would need BBC Radio Four. Maybe if you ask a local for a talk show or Google search before using the program you might find something.

I think having the language in the background helps in lots of ways. Even if you don't understand the words you are still picking up rhythm and other clues. Also it will not be so overwhelming when you visit the country. Best of luck.

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

PtolemysXX wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:27 pm

[…] as I want to practice listening comprehension […]

Maybe listening to podcasts would suit you better? This is a very individual choice, but after trying a few, I settled with Podcast Addict.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

The majority of radio stations play music, but usually at midday or lunchtime there is an extended news program. News in general are an excellent way of getting your head around the sounds of your target language. You could record the news and then work on writing the text down and translating it when you have the time. If you do this several times a week (get your family and friends involved, too - kids are often better at picking up foreign sounds and are less bothered about accuracy), you'll find that it gets easier with time, especially if you listen to the news in your native language(s) first. 😁

Pinta
United States of America

Post by Pinta »

It's so amazing that you can listen to any radio station in the world. Even the stations in war zones. I'm listening to radio station in Luhansk right now!

Native 🇰🇷 Fluent 🇺🇸 Learning 🇷🇺 & 🇪🇸

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Pinta wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:28 pm

It's so amazing that you can listen to any radio station in the world. Even the stations in war zones. I'm listening to radio station in Luhansk right now!

You could learn a lot of local news with that, if you spoke the language!

Return to “Random Thoughts”