Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The sounds of French

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

dakanga

Re: [ref-verb] avoir : to have

Post by dakanga »

Duolingo Tips for Sounds

1 st Unit

Basics 1

2 nd Unit

City

3 rd Unit

###Sensations

4 th Unit

Money

5 th Unit

Dream Trip

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Other information

Learning the sounds of a foreign language can lead to some very interesting and controversial discussions at times, I have always found. This of course is confused further, from a native English speakers perspective - due to the huge number of different accents English speakers have. And this is not a unique issue to English speakers.

The French alphabet consists of 26 characters, and are the same 26 characters as used for English. However, note :

• https://blog.duolingo.com/how-is-the-in ... abet-used/
  • Pronunciation of the letters are different - between English and French.
  • There are several additional accents and letter combinations that are different between English and French.
  • Also note - just as with English, letters have "names" , and separate "pronunciations" when used in words. Many other languages also have this.

Pronouncing the NAMES of the letters of the Alphabet:

Here are a few internet resources you might find useful to assist in pronouncing the names of the letters in the French Alphabet ( again remember the names of the letters can be different to how they are said/pronounced in words ) :

YouTube:

In this voyage of discussions of sounds, you will come across the concept of :
IPA in English, which stands for the "International Phonetic Alphabet",
or ( perhaps more correctly ) :
AIP : "L'Association Phonétique Internationale" in French.
This is one and the same organization, and was founded in Paris in In January 1889 (under a slightly different name). Its aim is basically the establishment of a set of phonetic symbols to describe the sounds of language. To read more about the organization wikipedia: International Phonetic Association

IPA : https://www.internationalphoneticalphabet.org/

You may also like to read about romaji using the Latin script to write Japanese - rōmaji (ローマ字?, literally, "roman letters". I came across this script when I studied Japanese.
And even in this there are several different romanization systems.

( I will continue to expand and modify this list of references over time - I welcome recommendations from others as well. )
( I will also talk about "the other letter symbols used" and move on to the phonetics of French.
This will include a resource on the sounds and common letter combinations in French ).

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Originally posted by hivemindx

With regards to the names of the letters of the alphabet in French I found this video very useful. Alain de Lait's L'alphabet en Français:-

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: The sounds of French

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I have always been looking for a song to help me learn the French alphabet.

Fortunately, it is less different from the German alphabet than from the English alphabet I learned already in school (with a song)

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “Topic”