Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

C'est moi qui jouait au handball quand j'avais vingt ans

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

The first time I got this question, my initial reaction was "Do French people really talk like that?" The best answer to that question for me is "Yes, it's called mise en relief, you use it to emphasize a certain part of a sentence. It's a technique used to give an opinion or make an argument."

The first three minutes of the
French School TV
lesson was what I wanted.

That entire video is nearly thirty minutes. Prof. Bouen gives a free grammar lesson every Thursday morning at 8:30 am NYC time that I like to watch. This week it's on verbs followed by à or de.

Revise ta grammaire gives an introduction to mise en relief in 4-1/2 minutes that's also pretty good. I couldn't find mise en relief anywhere on the Duolingo forums. Well, it's at least now mentioned here.

Pierre Bachelet's song Vingt ans is useful for this sentence, seing as how he sings
"En ce temps-là j'avais vingt ans" about ten times during the song.

You'll find this sentence in the skill 5.20, along with other sentences using this type of mise en relief, such as
C'est nous qui chantons parce que notre équipe a gagné.
C'est l'équipe de France qui a gagné.
C'est lui qui ne comprend pas les règles.
C'est moi qui patine le mieux.

The last one's my favorite, although I'd say Gretzky was just a bit better than Lemieux.

EranBarLev
Israel

Re: C'est moi qui jouais au handball quand j'avais vingt ans. (en → fr)

Post by EranBarLev »

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Return to “Sentence discussions”