Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

First letter Uppercase / lowercase default

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

For the challenges where you have to write a complete sentence, the default keyboard is lower case. See Ex D and E. So, for Ex. D, I have to hit the uppercase arrow to type Nous sommes prêts.

But for A, B and C, notice here the default for the first letter is uppercase. For A it worked, I could write Il faut que je prie without any extra keystrokes. But B and C are more representative of these types of partial fill-ins. In these cases, I have to hit the bold arrow to get lower case otherwise I'll write Qui a gagné (instead of qui a gagné, for Ex B) or Commence la réunion (instead of commence la réunion, for Ex C. The default keyboard for those question types starts in Upper Case.

Probably what I want is for those new question types, like A B C, I wish the keyboard was in lowercase default like it is for D and E. Ideally the reverse for both cases would be better too, for Ex A B C to start with lower case and Ex D E to start in uppercase.

These were done on the web. I use chrome and go to https://www.duolingo.com/learn. I didn't check yet if the defaults are the same on the app. I use an android.

Can I do anything besides "get used to living with it" ?

Ex A

Ex B

Ex C

Ex D

Ex E

DouglasPri13
United States of America

Re: First letter Uppercase / lowercase default

Post by DouglasPri13 »

I don't know what drives the default case for the first letter when typing into answers, but Duolingo is case insensitive to answers, so "nOUS SOMMES prêts"is just as valid an answer as "Nous sommes prêts". So while I agree with you from an aesthetics perspective, especially since I usually use swiping to type words when I play Duolingo on my phone and have the whole word entered before I even see the case, but as a practical matter it really matters not.

Native 🇺🇸 | Learning 🇨🇵

Return to “Discussions”