Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How can I join a League with other PT learners or people from South America or at least FR learners?

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

How can I join a League with other PT learners or people from South America or at least FR learners?

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Hi all,

Most users in my Leagues don't study Portuguese.
Some of them study English or have Portuguese or Spanish as the base language.
Some of them come in with a French horizont.

When do you join most of the time a new League to see more Portuguese learners or those based from Brazil?

Doesn't work out that well if I join in the very evening based on Cet/Gmt+1 timezone (mostly on Monday).

I'm not a fan when users study very distinct languages from those what I do and where there is not a lot in common.

When would Brazilians join a new League on Monday? 22-23:59pm? Early evening 18-20pm or afternoon in their timezone?

Can't start a new lesson in the middle of the night on Sunday->Monday (too early, high competitors) or Tuesday as XPs just will get speed collected while I'm trying to sleep (should I) and on Monday afternoon/evening/22:00-23:59pm I normally have to save my streak and do a new practice lesson.

Sadly to say, I heard Duolingo groups users based on their timezone or similar ones

Last time I used the PRIVATE privacy and joined a new League later.
So maybe I could follow new techniques to get colocated with users from South America or at least users from the US who study PT.

But I fear my timezone and country (Germany) overwrites all of those algorithms to pick Non-European Leagues or non-selected languages?!
Don't want to join that much with other Germans or people from the east (EU like Czech, Hungarian, Slovac,..) or UK and who learn languages like JP, ITA, Mandarin, Korean, Ukrainian/Russian, etc.

Which people do get normally get selected if I would start the volunteer DE->FR course in the late evening here in Germany on Monday?

Or while playing around with the staff based EN->FR (focus on testing out) course?

Can't continue working on the EN<-PT reverse tree that easily on the mobile app and don't want to so this on the new website with the path without Camilo's userscript, but I'm curious how can I could see Brazilians or European Portuguese (Portugal) speakers in my joined League while those learners would focus on this English course (while I'm working on EN->PT.... or one of the other DE->FR and PT->FR courses)?

Does someone of you know for sure?

Maybe I need to use this PRIVATE privacy thing to start a League at a different suitable time on Tuesday/Wednesday?!??

A bit sad that we can't follow anyone anymore (not newly found users) when the max follower limit has already been reached.

But I would feel to have something more in common with these type of Duolingo users and PT/FR learners.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Corinnebelle

Re: How can I join a League with other PT learners or people from South America or at least FR learners?

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Thomas.Heiss I don't believe there' such a thing. It's all random. But you should be in the same timezone as the people in your league. My suggestion if you really want to study with other Portuguese/French speakers to make a study club on here and link to your stats etc.. and you can watch each other and compare results.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

John Little
Brazil

Re: How can I join a League with other PT learners or people from South America or at least FR learners?

Post by John Little »

I have noticed over the years that there seem to be a lot of Brasilians in the leagues I wind up in. I just assumed there must be a lot of them. But it doesn't make any difference. You can't talk to them.

John661162

Return to “Duolingo”