Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Finnish grammar question

Moderator: greg34bg

McGonnagle
Japan

Finnish grammar question

Post by McGonnagle »

Hello!
I'm not Finnish learner but I have a question about Finnish grammar.

I need a help to analyse this movie title, "Ihmemaa Oz" (The Wizard of Oz) grammatically.

According to Wiktionary, I understand "Ihmemaa" as a nominative form, and I presume "Oz" here should be a genitive form but I don't see that. How do you distinguish between the nominative form of "Oz" and the genitive form of "Oz". How does "Oz" conjugate?

I have zero knowledge about Finnish grammar.
Sorry for my not so good English.

Thanks in advance!!

Deleted User 5705

Re: Finnish grammar question

Post by Deleted User 5705 »

Last edited by Deleted User 5705 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McGonnagle
Japan

Re: Finnish grammar question

Post by McGonnagle »

Mixcoatl wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:55 pm

I'm still learning but it doesn't appear to be a literal translation. 'Ihmemaa' = 'fairyland' or 'wonderland'. 'Oz' may or may not decline, as a foreign name? I would translate it as 'The Wonderland, Oz'. 'Ozin velho' = 'The Wizard of Oz/Oz's Wizard', literally, I think. But I could be wrong...

Thanks! That makes sense. So if say "The wizard of Oz" that would be "Velho" + genitive form of "Oz"? or a foreign name doesn't decline often in Finnish?

Sorry I got it! Clear now so far. Thanks!

Return to “Finnish”