Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Going down triumphantly!

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

John Little
Brazil

Going down triumphantly!

Post by John Little »

Screenshot_20230525-044421~2.png
Screenshot_20230525-044421~2.png (171.15 KiB) Viewed 828 times

I think I've got this sussed. Just to remind readers, I am on a quest to revisit the lower regions of the leagues whilst still keeping my streak, completing the monthly quest and doing some daily practice.

So, having gone private and left the leagues last Sunday, I did all the daily quests and reached the monthly target of 40 quests and got my badge for the month.

This morning, I set my profile to public and did a 5xp story to join the leagues. I did move up from sapphire to ruby, which was a waste of the previous week's efforts, but I am very much at the bottom and plan to stay there with a daily story and unfinished lessons.

I tried doing hearts practices and quitting before the end, but that meant the same exercise kept coming up every time. So my new plan is to do regular practices from the snake and quit them before the last exercise.

Of course, too many mistakes will mean loss of hearts so I may have to resort to a quick hearts practice or use my gem collection to replace them.

Gold here I come!

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Re: Going down triumphantly!

Post by John Little »

It was close this week. I made a terrible mistake on Thursday when I tried to do an " incomplete" lesson and miscounted the number of exercises. I was suddenly presented with 15 points for a perfect lesson.

I made it back into the demotion zone at the very last minute (with a mere 30xp) when someone below me with 22xp (on Sunday!) passed me with a last minute lesson.

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Well, I shouldn't talk too soon, but I think I might have made it. Or at least I should have by tomorrow.

I am still bottom of the Sapphire league - now with 10xp - and the person at the bottom of the "ok" zone has 15! So, one more 5xp story tomorrow will keep my streak and take me to the top of the demotion zone; even if no one above me does another lesson.

Although that will also give me 15xp, because number 23 got their 15xp before me, they should still stay above me .

But I don't understand why so many people in this league have done just one lesson on Friday with nothing else all week?

I did every daily quest in private before joining this league so my points still show up on the graphs when I compare my progress with the others in the league. Most of them have done nothing else all week other than that one lesson on Friday

Screenshot_20230603-081623.png
Screenshot_20230603-081623.png (308.06 KiB) Viewed 727 times

John661162

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

There is a quest to go down and revisit the bottom Leagues???

If you can go PRIVATE why don't you simply leave it as such?

1-2 or 3 lessons per day x 5-7 days will always push you above the Demotion zone.

Thankfully my older V5.52.5 Android app doesn't have this Match Madness crap.
Lightning round is a good mixture of multiple-choice, tapping, listening and writing exercises.
Web forces me into matching with the single audio buttons much more. Don't like them.
But it gives me 40xp.
It's fun to do a few rounds to review my finished Portuguese course that way and getting random skills content.

While 4-5 difficult verb tense skills of my old tree are always left out.
Can only see those 25% low strength (under 0.5) on Duome with the real strength factor of 0.5-.0.8 for some others.

When I finish some L3 skills I also get the double Xp booster for 15 minutes adter completing the last crown review lesson.

No, I surely wouldn't be able to keep in the Demotion zone for long with 2-10 lessons/League challenges per day.
And if you can go PRIVATE, why not simply keep it that way.
Unfortunately, the Duome progress page can't be refreshed anymore that way as Duolingo will switch the "extended user profile" off and redirect to the learn page (for a normal Duolingo user profile it gives http error 403/404).
So going fully private wouldn't work that well for me either.

Hope you can complete your quest :-)
Do you have to go back to the very beginning?

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:19 pm

Hope you can complete your quest :-)
Do you have to go back to the very beginning?

No. I'm confident of making it to gold on Monday and that will do for me. But it was more of a struggle going down than up!

I like the feeling of belonging that you get from being public but found it hard to ignore my position in the league. Hopefully the challenge I set myself will have cured me of that. :)

Another challenge I found, was beating the "spend 20 minutes learning" quest by doing stories very, very slowly!

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Screenshot_20230604-075352.png
Screenshot_20230604-075352.png (158.66 KiB) Viewed 681 times

This illustrates my point above. This is my graph compared to the person who has been just above me since we both joined the league on Friday.

But it's not unique. There were several graphs exactly the same - although three of them have now moved out of the demotion zone.

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Done it! It wasn't easy but now....the only way is up!!!

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Now to go back up!

Screenshot_20230605-053949.png
Screenshot_20230605-053949.png (88.33 KiB) Viewed 651 times

John661162

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Congrats, you made it

Now the easier way?

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:38 am

Congrats, you made it

Now the easier way?

Thank you. :)

John661162

uralicnomad
Hungary

Post by uralicnomad »

Why not try to go all the way down to Bronze? :)

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

uralicnomad wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:06 pm

Why not try to go all the way down to Bronze? :)

Too much hard work!

John661162

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

In a quest to go down all the way, the best method is to do one 'repeat lesson' (5 XP + max 5XP bonus) on Monday during the day. So you get listed into a league. Then you switch to 'private' for the remainder of the week and do as many lessons as you deem useful. They won't count for the league. When switching back to 'public' on Sunday afternoon, you can check that you are indeed going to demote.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

SweNedGuy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:51 pm

In a quest to go down all the way, the best method is to do one 'repeat lesson' (5 XP + max 5XP bonus) on Monday during the day. So you get listed into a league. Then you switch to 'private' for the remainder of the week and do as many lessons as you deem useful. They won't count for the league. When switching back to 'public' on Sunday afternoon, you can check that you are indeed going to demote.

That don't work. I tried that. You have to do it the other way round. Once you join a league everything you do counts. I did all my quests after going private on Monday and then joined the leagues on Friday doing the absolute minimum.

That way, even though my xp for the week was higher than most, only the xp earned whilst public counted in the league

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

John Little wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:43 am

Now to go back up!Screenshot_20230605-053949.png

It was easier going back up

:)

But 6 weeks later:-

Screenshot_20230724-065037.png
Screenshot_20230724-065037.png (147.18 KiB) Viewed 378 times