Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

verbs -er

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, frzzl

dakanga

verbs -er

Post by dakanga »

• premier groupe. : 1er verbe groupe : "-er groupe". These verbs have very regular rules, that since the 1990 spelling reforms have simpler sets of rules you can dependably apply to them. AND the VAST MAJORITY of all verbs belong to this group.
    The pattern of this LARGEST group is:
    1er : je -e, tu -es, il/elle -e ; nous -ons, vous -ez, ils/elles -ent

• deuxième groupe : 2me verbe groupe : "-issons groupe" (p.s. most english references call this the "-re" group. However I have found french usually refer to it as the "-issons" groupe, which is such a better description - as there are some 'irregular verbs that end in -re, that belong to the 3me verbe groupe. This 2me groupe also has regular rules. It is though what works for you ;) I think agir : to act, is the only one from the 2me groupe that in duolingo that we have looked at to date.
    2er : je -is | tu -is | il -it || nous -issons | vous -issez | ils -issent

• troisième groupe. : 3me verbe groupe : tous les autres verbes : all other verbs - while some can be grouped - there are lots of different spelling and pronunciation patterns that are in this group - and will require a bit of work to learn them.

• Also note verb endings are the SAME between il & elle & on (he, she and 'indefinite/general'). Also they are the SAME between ils & elles (plural/multiple ' their ' - males / females )

Verbs in alphabetical order

'avoir' + agi | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

• il s’agit de quoi? : What is it about.
  • Also "De quoi s'agit-il? " | *"Il s'agit de quoi? " *| "De quoi est-ce qu'il s'agit: --- all meaning "What is it about?.
  • Il s'agit de( something or doing something: it is about something |
  • Il s'agit de terminer les devoirs, il s'agit du cours de math : it is about finishing homework, it is about the maths course. (providing I understand this correctly. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong)
    Verbes -issant groupe : Les verbes du 2e groupe

'être' + allé(e)(s) | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. suis/es/est//sommes/êtes/sont - agreeing in gender and number

This is one of the three most important verbs to learn as soon as possible. The other two are :
avoir ( to have ) ; être ( to be )
This verb aller ( to go ) allows you to talk about FUTURE events - by using the correct aller verb before the second action verb.

'avoir' + eu | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

Also see the verb être : to be. Avoir and être and are also known as helping verbs, as they can be used with other verbs to express different nuances of time or mood - see Passé composé.

'avoir' + bu | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

3e verbe -re pattern

'avoir' + caché | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

Je cache mes yeux : popular childrens song.

'avoir' + contenu | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

note: the appearence of it i in je - ; tu -, il/elle and that ils/elles also has the exta i - as well an a doubled nn. But these extras are not in nous and vous.
Check out : 3e verbe -ir verbs that follow the standard -er rules, and so belong in 3e groupe, instead of 2e groupe .. click here

'avoir' + coupé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + couru | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

• 3e verbe -ir verbs that follow the standard -er rules, and so belong in 3e groupe, instead of 2e groupe .. click here

'avoir' + cru | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

-3e verbe -re pattern

'avoir' + cuisiné | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

*'avoir' + * dit| Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

note: this is quite close to the deuxième groupe : 2me verbe groupe : "-issons groupe" , of: 2er : je -is | tu -is | il -it || nous -issons | vous -issez | ils -issent
However note the s is NOT doubled at all, and the t that is used in vous instead of an s

• 3e verbe -re pattern

'avoir' + donné | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + écrit | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

Note: l'accent aigu (m) :
the acute accent é, that is at the beginning of écrire.
One of the most important of les accents (m)
the accents - because it tells you WHAT sound the e should make in this word.
It is VERY worthwhile to learn this - especially at this early stage.
Also remember to click on the blue highlights to hear the sound the
é.

• 3e verbe -re pattern

'être' + entré(e)(s) | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. suis/es/est/sommes/êtes/sont - agreeing in gender and number

'avoir' + été | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

Also see the verb avoir : to be. Avoir and être and are also known as helping verbs, as they can be used with other verbs to express different nuances of time or mood - see Passé composé.

Passé composé
'avoir' + fini | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + gagné | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + intéressé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + lancé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + lu | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

3e verbe -re pattern

'avoir' + mangé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

Click here to find out about why there is a spelling change for " nous mangeons ".

'avoir' + marché | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + mérité | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + mis | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

3e verbe -re pattern

'être' + mort(e)(s) | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. suis/es/est/sommes/êtes/sont - agreeing in gender and number

3e verbe -ir verbs that follow the standard -er rules, and so belong in 3e groupe, instead of 2e groupe .. click here

'avoir' + monté | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont
also 'être' + monté(e)(s) | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. suis/es/est/sommes/êtes/sont - agreeing in gender and number

'avoir' + montré | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + motivé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

• neiger : to snow |
    1er |
    wiktionary ;
    leFigaro
    Présent :
    . il neige: it is snowing. This is the ONLY form for this verb.
    'avoir' + neigé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

• offrir : to offer |
    3me |
    wiktionary ;
    leFigaro

'avoir' + offrert | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

3e verbe -ir verbs that follow the standard -er rules, and so belong in 3e groupe, instead of 2e groupe .. click here

'avoir' + ouvert | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + perdu | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

3e verbe -re pattern

'avoir' + photographié | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + porté | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + posé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

prendre la pose : to strike a pose
This is a great word to check out in the reverso dictionary. It is used in all sorts of interesting concepts. To check out more that I have found out about poser, click this link.
While in duolingo the sentences use this in the context of "to lay down gently", it has all sorts of great expressions associated with this verb. Although it is pointed out that it can mean "to pose, installation, to lay down"

'avoir' + possédé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

Passé composé
'avoir' + pris | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

3e verbe -re pattern

'avoir' + proposé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + respecté | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

Passé composé
'avoir' + | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

"Saisir" means: "to enter a name, an address, a password, etc"; so it is about typing something in a box. "Entrer" is the name of the "enter" key, so you press "entrer" when you have finished "de saisir" your name or password. Often, "entrer" is used also to refer to the whole process.

Passé composé
'avoir' + su | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

3e verbe -ir group for voir : to see

'avoir' + souhaité | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + suivi | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

note je suis , the same as for être - je suis : to be, and here it is in the verb : to follow !
3e verbe -re pattern

'avoir' + terminé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

• tenir ♫: to hold, grasp, behave, remain/maintain a position, to occupy. |
    3me (-tenir : see contenir) |
    wiktionary
    leFigaro

'avoir' + tenu | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

Check out 3e groupe des verbes pour tenir and venir
also tenir is one of those words that has different and diverse meanings. Check out wiktionary for one of the clearest - yet informative description of the word. Also Laura Lawless has some interesting things to say. And also larousse

'avoir' + trouvé | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

'avoir' + vendu | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

3e verbe -re pattern

'avoir' + voulu | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

3e verbe -loir endings

'avoir' + vu | Passé composé Recent-Current Past | ie. ai/as/a/avons/avez/ont

3e verbe -ir group for voir : to see

The above is thanks to le Figaro-Conjuguer, and Audio French
adorer | aimer | detester : do not use partitive articles.
Most commonly they will be followed with the definite article: " j'aime le riz "

my pronouns : they / them / their. Give a smile, it is free yet is of great value. Darujte úsměv.

Return to “Archive”