Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The best movie quotes of all time (translation game) Topic is solved

Explorer
Portugal

The best movie quotes of all time (translation game)

Post by Explorer »

Cinema has always been one of my favorite learning resources. I think watching movies in different versions is a good way to get out of the book and learn some interesting expressions. Since we are a community dedicated to language learning, I thought it could be fun to play a game together.

The rules are simple:

1. Someone picks a quote from a movie or series.
2. The others must translate it in a language that is not their native language.
3. One translation per person.
4. 5 days after the quote has been posted, each player is allowed to make an extra translation to a language that has not been featured yet.

Let's play and see how many translations we can gather!

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

► Show Spoiler

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Explorer
Portugal

Re: The best movie quotes of all time (translation game)

Post by Explorer »

I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse - The Godfather

🇮🇹 Gli farò un'offerta che non può rifiutare! (gmads)
Image Offeram ei pactum quod recusare non poterit - Patrinus (Explorer)
🇺🇦 Я зроблю йому пропозицію, від якої він не зможе відмовитися - Хрещений Батько (Davey944676)
Image Uko ezin dezakeen eskaintza bat egingo diot - Aitajauna (Manex)
🇰🇷 거절하지 못을 제공을 할 거야 (MustafaOuz526752)
🇪🇸 Le voy a hacer una oferta que no podrá rechazar (Cifi)
🇮🇱 אני אציע לו הצעה שהוא לא יכול לסרב לה. - הסנדק (EranBarLev)
🇹🇷 Ona reddedemeyeceği bir teklif yapacağım (Danika_Dakika)
🇨🇳 我要向他提出無法拒絕的條件--教父 (McGonnagle)

gmads
Mexico

Re: The best movie quotes of all time (cooperative game)

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:09 am

That movie was in English, wasn't it? So… the quote is just the original quote :?

Maybe a rule that says, "The quote has to be translated from the original movie, not from a dubbed one," needs to be added?

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

gmads wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:35 am

That movie was in English, wasn't it? So… the quote is just the original quote :?

It is.

Maybe a rule that says, "The quote has to be translated from the original movie, not from a dubbed one," needs to be added?

I thought that was obvious :D I'll add that rule anyway to make it clearer.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:42 am

It is.

I thought that was obvious :D I'll add that rule anyway to make it clearer.

Or maybe I am just completely missing it, but I swear I have checked and checked your post and I don't see the translated quote, I only see the original in English :lol:

Antinomy - Imagination

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I'm sorry. Maybe I didn't explain myself well. The game consists of someone proposing a movie quote and the other participants translating it into a language that is not their native language. This time, I chose a quote from the movie The Godfather and others have to translate it. Next week, someone can choose another quote from a movie of their choice, and so on and so forth.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:31 am

I'm sorry. Maybe I didn't explain myself well. The game consists of someone proposing a movie quote and the other participants translating it into a language that is not their native language. This time, I chose a quote from the movie The Godfather and others have to translate it. Next week, someone can choose another quote from a movie of their choice, and so on and so forth.

OMDL! :shock: :lol: Sorryyyy! If you want to clean up the thread, please do delete all these non-related posts so we start nice and tidy.

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:09 am

Translating it into Italian.

• Gli farò un'offerta che non può rifiutare! 8-)

Antinomy - Imagination

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

It's okay! Perhaps someone was wondering the same thing. If I can do something to make the first post clearer, please let me know.

One of the things I've noticed by watching the same movies in different languages is that translators sometimes deviate greatly from the original version. Sometimes cultural references and details are completely omitted. Sometimes the titles of the movies are changed. In Spain, for example, the movie Jaws was changed to Tiburón. When possible, I think it would be interesting to compare our translations to the ones made by professionals.

gmads wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:48 am

Translating it into Italian.

• Gli farò un'offerta che non può rifiutare! 8-)

Great! I'll be adding your translations.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

My take on it is that quotes like that one have already been translated into hundreds of languages and may already enjoy a cult status. So why reinvent the wheel? Hence I would prefer to know how people remember those phrases in their native languages because - I can imagine - some of these translations might not have been literal so the reverse translation could be even more interesting. This is especially true in case of movie titles which are often (semi) idiomatic.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Here's my translation in Latin:

Offeram ei pactum quod recusare non poterit.

► Show Spoiler

Notes: I wasn't sure how to translate "to make an offer" in Latin. Offerta, -ae, offertam faciam?? Meh. It doesn't sound good to me, and I can't recall reading it in any classical text. So I did a less literal translation instead (to offer a pact) that I think is close enough to the original.

Regarding the name of the movie I'd say Paterfamilias or Patrinus :D I prefer patrinus, but that's medieval Latin. The word was first attested in the eighth century, so it cannot be found in common classical dictionaries. Also, I don't know if patrinus meant the same as "godfather" 1300 years ago. This is just my guess. The word evolved into other Romance languages as padrino (Italian, Spanish), padrinho (Portuguese), padrí (Catalan) and parrain (French).

Corrections are welcome!

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

@gmads How are the mob bosses called in American Spanish? El patrón, isn't it (From Latin patronus, defender, protector or even employer).

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:17 pm

► Show Spoiler

Notes: I wasn't sure how to translate "to make an offer" in Latin. Offerta, -ae, offertam faciam?? Meh. It doesn't sound good to me, and I can't recall reading it in any classical text. So I did a less literal translation instead (to offer a pact) that I think is close enough to the original.

Regarding the name of the movie I'd say Paterfamilias or Patrinus :D I prefer patrinus, but that's medieval Latin. The word was first attested in the eighth century, so it cannot be found in common classical dictionaries. Also, I don't know if patrinus meant the same as "godfather" 1300 years ago. This is just my guess. The word evolved into other Romance languages as padrino (Italian, Spanish), padrinho (Portuguese), padrí (Catalan) and parrain (French).

Corrections are welcome!

Wow! That was some translation! :shock:

Congratulations!

Antinomy - Imagination

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:00 pm

@gmads How are the mob bosses called in American Spanish? El patrón, isn't it (From Latin patronus, defender, protector or even employer).

De manera general, líder o jefe. También se habla de un capo (término que proviene del italiano, y que significa jefe). Ya de forma particular, cada uno suele tener su propio apodo. Por ejemplo, había un mexicano conocido como el "Jefe de jefes", mientras que "El Patrón" fue el más famoso de Colombia ;)

De uno de mis grupos favoritos:

Antinomy - Imagination

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

I'll have a go at Ukrainian...

"Я зроблю йому пропозицію, від якої він не зможе відмовитися." - Хрещений Батько

Good idea @Explorer I had fun with that - learnt a bit about other Ukrainian words regarding baptism and godparenting while searching around. :)

Ill take a chance with "зробити" (literally to "make") an offer, because I came across Ukrainian structures using that same "make" an offer structure as in English. (Instead of something like "запропонува́ти" (propose, suggest etc).

@PtolemysXX Hopefully some native speakers will come along and correct our attempts and add the phrases usually used in their own language - bonus! :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Davey944676 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:00 am

I'll have a go at Ukrainian...

"Я зроблю йому пропозицію, від якої він не зможе відмовитися." - Хрещений Батько

Good idea @Explorer I had fun with that - learnt a bit about other Ukrainian words regarding baptism and godparenting while searching around. :)

Sounds great! I added your translation. I'm quite surprised that "Godfather" is written with two words in Ukrainian (Хрещений Батько).

Davey944676 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:00 am

@PtolemysXX Hopefully some native speakers will come along and correct our attempts and add the phrases usually used in their own language - bonus! :)

Well, I would get quite a scare if a native Latin speaker came to the forum. I believe the last of them died several centuries ago. But hey, any help is always welcome. Undead beings, vampires, if you are reading this... I salute and welcome you to Duome! :lol:

Manex

Post by Manex »

Hello,

This is my contribution:

In Basque: Uko ezin dezakeen eskaintza bat egingo diot (Aitajauna)

I wasn’t sure how translate “Godfather” to Basque, I would say in a colloquial way “Padrinoa”.

I looked up in a dictionary and it says that depends on the case there are different words:

• In a christening there would be 5 different ways: Aitabitxi, aita besoetako, aita ponteko, aitajaun, ugazaita.

• In a wedding: aitabitxi, aitajaun, aita meza entzuteko.

In our case, it’s Aitajaun. The article “the” goes to the end of the word, so The Goodfather is Aitajauna.

They say that Basque is a difficult language to learn and it is indeed 😅

Native: 🇪🇸 B2: Image B1: 🇺🇸 A1: 🇫🇷: Learning: 🇯🇵 🇧🇷 🇷🇺

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Manex wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:59 am

Hello,

This is my contribution:

In Basque: Uko ezin dezakeen eskaintza bat egingo diot (Aitajauna)

I wasn’t sure how translate “Godfather” to Basque, I would say in a colloquial way “Padrinoa”.

I looked up in a dictionary and it says that depends on the case there are different words:

• In a christening there would be 5 different ways: Aitabitxi, aita besoetako, aita ponteko, aitajaun, ugazaita.

• In a wedding: aitabitxi, aitajaun, aita meza entzuteko.

In our case, it’s Aitajaun. The article “the” goes to the end of the word, so The Goodfather is Aitajauna.

They say that Basque is a difficult language to learn and it is indeed 😅

Great! Could you add the grammatical value and meaning of each word? This will help us get a sense of the structure of the whole sentence. Thanks! ;)

Antinomy - Imagination

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Explorer wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:31 am

I'm quite surprised that "Godfather" is written with two words in Ukrainian (Хрещений Батько).

Well, there is "кум" which also means godfather (amongst other things), but as far as I could find it only actually means "godfather" in the traditional family sense and not in any mafia boss or general bigwig sense.

Also, it seems that you can just use "батько" (father) for a godparent (as a clipping of "хресний батько"), but I'm still trying to work out how common/uncommon/dated/regional "хресний" and indeed "хресний батько" are - and I guess one would need a lot of context to use "батько" on its own.

p.s. I'm sure one of those undead chanting blokes off The Exorcist would love to rise from the crypt and help out with the Latin...and maybe a Dracula or two could flly in to contribute if there's a Romanian entry? :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

I will challenge myself with Korean:

• 거절하지 못을 제공을 할 거야.

Breaking down the sentence:

• 거절하지 못을 = That he can't refuse (with 거절하- being the root of 거절하다 "to refuse", -지 being a negation suffix, 못하- being the root of the verb 못하다 "not be able to", and -(으)ㄹ being the future tense adjectival clause suffix) (Note that the subordinate subject "he" is ambiguous")

• 제공을 = An offer (with 제공 "offer" being the word root, and being the accusative suffix)

• 할 거야 = I'm gonna make him (with 하- being the root of 하다 "to do/make", and -(으)ㄹ 거야 being the casual declined form of -ㄹ 겁니다 "to be going") (Again, note that the subject "I" and the indirect object "him" are ambiguous)

As for the title, I would translate it to 대부. (A quick Google search shows that it is actually the official Korean title!)

Phew, this has taken me a good twenty minutes :D Any correction is appreciated!

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Davey944676 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:22 am

p.s. I'm sure one of those undead chanting blokes off The Exorcist would love to rise from the crypt and help out with the Latin...and maybe a Dracula or two could flly in to contribute if there's a Romanian entry? :)

Gladiator or The Exorcist in Latin, Dracula in Romanian, Troy in Greek, The Lord of the Rings in Welsh or Finnish (languages that inspired Tolkien to create the Elvish languages). I'm looking forward to seeing those translations!

Manex

Post by Manex »

gmads wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:07 am

Great! Could you add the grammatical value and meaning of each word? This will help us get a sense of the structure of the whole sentence. Thanks! ;)

Of course. Here it is:

Uko: Refuse
Ezin: Can’t
Dezakeen: Auxiliar verbe
Eskaintza: offer
Bat: an
Egingo: Make (future, the present is “Egin”)
Diot: Auxiliar verbe

Native: 🇪🇸 B2: Image B1: 🇺🇸 A1: 🇫🇷: Learning: 🇯🇵 🇧🇷 🇷🇺

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Thanks for the new game, @Explorer!

Trying in Spanish: Le voy a hacer una oferta que no podrá rechazar.

After I translated, I looked into Youtube. I can't understand what he says in the first part, and the auto-generated subtitles don't catch that either, but they translated the last part as "que no rechazará" instead.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Cifi wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:55 pm

Thanks for the new game, @Explorer!

Trying in Spanish: Le voy a hacer una oferta que no podrá rechazar.

After I translated, I looked into Youtube. I can't understand what he says in the first part, and the auto-generated subtitles don't catch that either, but they translated the last part as "que no rechazará" instead.

Your translation is perfect. In my opinion it's even better than the one we have in the Spanish version of the movie.

PtolemysXX
Uganda

Post by PtolemysXX »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:33 am

I will challenge myself with Korean:

• 거절하지 못을 제공을 할 거야.

Great shot :!:

i am gonna make him an offer.PNG
i am gonna make him an offer.PNG (395.17 KiB) Viewed 297281 times

(source: https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.naver ... 1374885094)

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Manex wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:38 pm

Of course. Here it is:

Uko: Refuse
Ezin: Can’t
Dezakeen: Auxiliar verbe
Eskaintza: offer
Bat: an
Egingo: Make (future, the present is “Egin”)
Diot: Auxiliar verbe

Wow! In Basque you actually start the sentence with "refuse". It's just the other way round in English. Interesting!

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

@Explorer Actually, I think it was The Omen I was thinking about with the impending-dread-and-doom Latin chanting, but no doubt The Exorcist had a bit too! :)

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:17 pm

► Show Spoiler

Corrections are welcome!

You can always get me with Latin but until now I didn't have my old "Langenscheid" (dictionary + grammar) at hand. When I read your translation, I also was not very happy with the translation of "offer". Some online dictionaries provided "condicio" but I didn't trust them.

The old "Langenscheid" provides the following two expressions and seems to be sure of them:
"condicionem ferre" = "to make an offer" ("ein Angebot machen")
"conditionem aspernari" = "to refuse (disdain) an offer" ("ein Angebot ablehen (verschmähen)")

-->
ei feram condicionem quod aspernari non potest
(present tense in the English version, thus: "potest" instead of "poterit" (?) or do we need an alignment with the future tense from the first part of the sentence?)

"Langenscheid" gives "sponsor" as the translation of "Pate"="godfather". As I am a godmother, I can well understand this translation.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

@MoniqueMaRie Gratias tibi ago! That's a perfectly valid translation. I have to say that I had some doubts about "conditio" because of the evolution of the word in modern romance languages. Also I wasn't sure if it was used in the same sense as in the movie. I see that it can be translated as: agreement, terms, proposal, option, situation, etc. Definitely, it is not incorrect for this case.

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:45 am

(present tense in the English version, thus: "potest" instead of "poterit" (?) or do we need an alignment with the future tense from the first part of the sentence?)

It's not necessary, but in the absence of a time adverb, I prefer to conjugate the verb in the future to make it clear that it's something that is yet to happen. Another option is the present subjunctive (possit) to express a hypothesis, a wish or a probability, since offers can indeed be refused. But since the Godfather is very confident and he really thinks the other person won't be able to refuse it, I'd still stick with the future tense.

I think you made a very educated translation. I hope to see more Latin around here! :)

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

🇮🇱 אני אציע לו הצעה שהוא לא יכול לסרב לה. - הסנדק

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Return to “Random Thoughts”