Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The best movie quotes of all time (translation game) Topic is solved

MustafaOuz526752

Re: The best movie quotes of all time (translation game)

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

I am glad that you joined in, Danika :) I wish to add a few things:

Danika_Dakika wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:55 pm
  • When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
    Ateş etmen gerekeceğinde ateş et, konuşma.

Natural Turkish would be ateş edeceksen et, konuşma.

Danika_Dakika wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:55 pm
  • You'll find I have many qualities for you to dislike.
    Hoşlanmayacağın çok niteliğim olduğunu öğreneceksin.

The way I would phrase this is hoşlanmayacağın çok niteliğim olduğunu göreceksin.

Great job! Your Godfather translation even matches the dub to the letter!

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Explorer wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:54 am
McGonnagle wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:05 am

hmmm... I'm a bit comfused. I need learn more about this. Where did you find your real example "Cum Caesar Romam veniat → when Caesar comes to Rome."?

"Multi senatores mutationem exercituum timent sed Caesar novum ordinem confirmabit et multas res publicas mutabit. Cum Caesar Romam veniat, exercitus Romanus fortis et disciplinatus erit et multae victoriae in bello reportabuntur." Epistola CXVII - Marcus Tullius

That's so true, and that's the beauty of Latin!

Explorer wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:54 am

As I understand it, Caesar is not yet in Rome. But when he is present (circumstance?), it seems that he has plans to transform the army. Something like that, right? Anyway, I think it is much easier to understand when you already know a Latin language. It's hard to explain these things in a language that doesn't even have a specific subjunctive verb form.

McGonnagle wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:05 am

I am surprised to find that translating a short dialogue into Latin sometimes requires a deep understanding of the background.

The question is, would a Roman citizen from the first century be able to understand the quotes we translate? :lol:

Touché! :O

Inceptor linguae Latinae sum. Latine scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar.
(I'm Latin beginner. I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction.)

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:09 am

I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse - The Godfather[/align]

I'm going to add a Chinese translation.

我要向他提出無法拒絕的條件--教父

► Show Spoiler
Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Here's my extra translation in German:

🇩🇪 Wenn du schießen musst, schieß. Sprich nicht. — Der Gute, der Schlechte und der Hässliche.

► Show Spoiler

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Explorer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:46 pm

Since everyone agrees, I have updated the game rules on the first page.

The new rules are as follows:

1. Someone picks a quote.
  2. The others translate it in a language that is not their native language.
  3. They can also translate the name of the movie.
  4. One translation per person.
  5. At the end of the week, each player is allowed to make an extra translation to a language that has not been featured yet.

Please let me know if everything is ok 😊

I think we have to clarify the new rule:

1. When exactly is the end of the week for that matter? Here Sunday is the beginning of the week... :?
  2. Should it be one extra only, or can there be more?
  3. Can the extra be the native language?

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

EranBarLev wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:53 am

I think we have to clarify the new rule:

1. When exactly is the end of the week for that matter? Here Sunday is the beginning of the week... :?

2. Should it be one extra only, or can there be more?

3. Can the extra be the native language?

1. Well, as far as I know, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday aren't considered the weekend anywhere. So I guess any day that's not one of those is ok. Or perhaps we could change the rule and say that it's possible to make an extra translation 5 days after the quote has been posted, regardless of the day of the week. It's just an idea. The most important thing is to allow enough time for everyone to participate. Otherwise, a polyglot could make 10 translations in one day.

2. I don't know. I would like to know other people's opinion.

3. For most people here it doesn't take much of an effort to translate from English to their native language. I think the real challenge of the game is to translate to a language that you're learning, so that you can put it into practice. I don't need to practice Spanish, but I can help other people with their translations in this language.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Explorer wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:33 am
  1. Well, as far as I know, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday aren't considered the weekend anywhere. So I guess any day that's not one of those days is ok. The most important thing is to allow enough time for everyone to participate. Otherwise, a polyglot could make 10 translations in one day.

I think if we want to allow enough time for everyone to participate, the extras should be on the last day before we start a new quote, which is Wednesday.

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

Explorer wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:03 pm

Here's my extra translation in German:

🇩🇪 Wenn du schießen musst, schieß. Sprich nicht. — Der Gute, der Schlechte und der Hässliche.

My rusty German instincts don't seem to like the use of 'sprechen' here. I would have opted for 'reden': Wenn du schießen mußt, schieß. Rede nicht.
Sprechen basically means to speak as in 'Er kann schon sprechen und er ist erst ein Jahr alt', whereas talk would generally be translated as reden.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Jade.S.Exner wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:46 am

My rusty German instincts don't seem to like the use of 'sprechen' here. Sprechen basically means to speak as in 'Er kann schon sprechen und er ist erst ein Jahr alt', whereas talk would generally be translated as reden.

You may be right. The thing is that when I lived in Germany, I'm pretty sure I heard "sprechen" used in the sense of "to talk" as well. For example: wir müssen darüber sprechen (we have to talk about that), ich habe mit ihr gesprochen (I talked to her), or sprich nicht über Geld (don't talk about money).

@MoniqueMaRie @Cifi @IceVajal can you confirm that?

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

Sure, the problem with German is that regional dialects vary considerably, and as a 'northern light' (I grew up in the East end of the Ruhr and Hamburg) I would remember the way we used to say things in primary school...Other examples of 'reden': Ich rede mir hier den Mund fusselig und du hörst mir gar nicht zu. Rede nicht um den heißen Brei herum, sondern sag mir was los ist. Reden ist Silber, Schweigen ist Gold.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Both translations are possible. In a book most likely they would use "Sprich nicht." While "Rede nicht" might be more used in a real life situation.

Some would even say "lab(b)er nicht", at least in the North of Germany. As it's use regional you find "labern" as well as "labbern". It's more colloquial.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Explorer wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:19 pm
Jade.S.Exner wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:46 am

My rusty German instincts don't seem to like the use of 'sprechen' here. Sprechen basically means to speak as in 'Er kann schon sprechen und er ist erst ein Jahr alt', whereas talk would generally be translated as reden.

You may be right. The thing is that when I lived in Germany, I'm pretty sure I heard "sprechen" used in the sense of "to talk" as well. For example: wir müssen darüber sprechen (we have to talk about that), ich habe mit ihr gesprochen (I talked to her), or sprich nicht über Geld (don't talk about money).

@MoniqueMaRie @Cifi @IceVajal can you confirm that?

Yes "don't talk" can be translated as "sprich nicht" , "rede nicht" or as @IceVajal just wrote "laber nicht" (coll.)

I would have translated the French "cause pas" by " schwafel nicht" (coll.) So I'd prefer the following German translation: "Wenn Du schießen musst , schieß', schwafel nicht"

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

The funny thing is: the official German translation is quite different, they put it "Wer schießen will, der soll schießen und nicht quatschen". It's not literal but dependant on context, this may actually be more natural.

The translation of the title is a different thing - fellow German speakers, can you think of a situation where you'd actively use the word "Halunke"?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

Possibly in a play or a sketch,
talking about a real scoundrel...

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Jade.S.Exner wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:36 pm

Possibly in a play or a sketch,
talking about a real scoundrel...

Terry Thomas - the British actor who was excellent at playing a comedy "Halunke". Doesn't he just look the part... :)

(I'll declutter this later....edit....it won't let me delete it. Nevermind. )

Last edited by Davey944676 on Mon May 01, 2023 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Cifi wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:03 pm

The funny thing is: the official German translation is quite different, they put it "Wer schießen will, der soll schießen und nicht quatschen". It's not literal but dependant on context, this may actually be more natural.

The translation of the title is a different thing - fellow German speakers, can you think of a situation where you'd actively use the word "Halunke"?

Perhaps in 1966 the word "Halunke" was still used?
I as well cannot think of ever saying it.

Wikipedia says it is a word close to extinction: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halunke

Interesting etymology

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Obviously there is more than one movie with "Halunke" in the German titel:

1966: zwei glorreiche Halunken, original Italian titel: il buono, il brutto, il cattivo
1972: der Halunke, original French titel: docteur Popaul
1973: die Halunken, original Italian titel: le cinque giornate
1973: ein Zug für zwei Halunken, original american titel: Emperor of the North

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Well, I heard Halunke a few times quite recently. At a playground I was walking by. It seems that one of the kids was on his way to become "Dennis, the menace" and so one of the mothers said: Was für ein kleiner Halunke!
Also heard it at a dog playground... But didn't get the story.

But true, you rarely hear the word nowadays.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Halunken - Wie ein Schlag! :)

HALUNKE - Nidohnidi (Official Music Video)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

For some reason no one has done Spanish, so I'll do it as extra:
Cuando tenga que disparar, dispare. No hable. — El bueno, el malo y el feo

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Image Ukrainian again... :)

"Коли треба стріляти, стріляй. Не говори." - Порядний, Злий і Потворний

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

No one wants to pick a new quote this week?

MustafaOuz526752

My mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
— Forrest Gump

🇫🇷 Ma maman disait toujours que la vie est comme une boîte de chocolats. On sait jamais ce qu'on va avoir. (MustafaOuz526752)

🇵🇹 A minha mãe sempre dizia que a vida era como uma caixa de chocolates. Nunca se sabe o que vai conseguir. (EranBarLev)

🇩🇪 Meine Mama hat immer gesagt, dass das Leben wie eine Schachtel Schokolade ist. Man weiß nie, was man kriegen wird. (Exploler)

Image Mamma mea semper dixit vitam sicut capusulam socolatarum esse. Numquam scies quod nancisceris. — Forrest Gump (McGonnagle)

🇮🇹 Mia mamma diceva sempre che la vita è come una scatola di cioccolati. Non sai mai cosa otterrai. (gmads)

:cn: 我妈妈从来说:生活跟一盒巧克力一樣, 你从来不知道你会得到什么 (MoniqueMaRie)

Last edited by MustafaOuz526752 on Mon May 08, 2023 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MustafaOuz526752

🇫🇷 Ma maman disait toujours que la vie est comme une boîte de chocolats. On sait jamais ce qu'on va avoir.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

🇵🇹 A minha mãe sempre dizia que a vida era como uma caixa de chocolates. Nunca se sabe o que vai conseguir.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:10 am

🇫🇷 Ma maman disait toujours que la vie est comme une boîte de chocolats. On sait jamais ce qu'on va avoir.

If you say "maman" it is without "ma" (as far as I remember - at least it sounds strange to me).
And
"on ne sait jamais ce qu'on va recevoir"

recevoir = to get
avoir = to have

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

🇩🇪 Meine Mama hat immer gesagt, dass das Leben wie eine Schachtel Schokolade ist. Man weiß nie, was man kriegen wird.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

Eine 'Schachtel Pralinen' sounds better, with Schokolade you would say eine 'Tafel Schokolade', which is a bar of chocolate. There is not much difference between 'bekommen' or 'kriegen' - your version sounds fine to me.

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:42 am

My mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
— Forrest Gump

There is something I don't quite understand about this English sentence. Can anyone kindly help me with this? Why is this "...life was..." but not "...life is..."? or the "life" here means "her own life"?

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

McGonnagle wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:52 am
MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:42 am

— Forrest Gump

There is something I don't quite understand about this English sentence. Can anyone kindly help me with this? Why is this "...life was..." but not "...life is..."? or the "life" here means "her own life"?

Well, it's something she said in the past. Anyway, I used the present tense in my translation because I think it's a timeless expression. "Life is like a box of chocolates". It was true in the past, it is true now, and it'll always be.

Return to “Random Thoughts”