Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The best movie quotes of all time (translation game) Topic is solved

McGonnagle
Japan

Re: The best movie quotes of all time (translation game)

Post by McGonnagle »

Here is my improved Latin translation:
Vim semper tibi fuisti, mea carrissima, ad quam tibi opus erat cognoscendum modo. -Magus de Oze-

@Explorer Gratias for your suggestion!

Inceptor linguae Latinae sum. Latine scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar.
(I'm Latin beginner. I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction.)

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

🇵🇹 Sempre tinhas o poder, querida, só tiveste que aprendê-lo por ti mesma. - O bruxo de Oz

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

McGonnagle wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:37 pm

Vim semper tibi fuisti, mea carrissima, ad quam tibi opus erat cognoscendum modo. -Magus de Oze-

This e at the end of Oze captures my attention. Is it a genitive ending? Also, how do you determine the gender of Oze if it matters?

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:45 am

This e at the end of Oze captures my attention. Is it a genitive ending? Also, how do you determine the gender of Oze if it matters?

The preposition "de" is used, among other functions, to express origin and requires the ablative case. In Latin, country names are often declined according to the third declension. Therefore, we must add the ending "-e" to the noun.

@McGonnagle As easy as that, right?

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Your question is a very important part of Latin nouns. The 3rd Declension is for various stem-types. That is, if a word is not the 1st, 2nd, 4th, or 5th declension, it must be the 3rd declension. So the declension for Oz should be the third. Oze is ablative. Genitive of Oz is Ozis.

We can learn ablative of the third declension in Duolingo, like urbe (nom. urbs) but not genitive form (which is urbis), if I remember it correctly.

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Before my previous comment, this is a very important point.

Explorer wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:19 pm

The preposition "de" is used, among other functions, to express origin and requires the ablative case. In Latin, country names are often declined according to the third declension. Therefore, we must add the ending "-e" to the noun.

MustafaOuz526752

@McGonnagle @Explorer Thank you for thorough explanations!

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

@MustafaOuz526752

Also, For the gender of Oz, it is very much likely a middle of nowhere, so it is a town (oppidum), so it should be neuter. I could also name it is "Ozum" as a Latinized name, for ablative "Ozo". Probably that's it!! Thanks!!

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Agghh.. I just found that Oz is a (imaginary) Kingdom, it's not a town! So it should be feminine. :shock:

Maybe Ozia for Oz in Latin? How about the gender of Oz in other languages?

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

@McGonnagle I've just found out that the book on which the movie is based was translated in Latin as "Magus Mirabilis in Oz."

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Explorer wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:51 am

@McGonnagle I've just found out that the book on which the movie is based was translated in Latin as "Magus Mirabilis in Oz."

Thanks for the great info. I took some time to read this book. I found that author made a choice not to conjugate "Oz". I'm not sure about it for the Latin grammar but it will avoid all the complication for sure. I don't think not to Latinize the name like "Ozia" would be a grammatical problem. So I will use "Oz" for nominative as well as this author did, but for ablative... hmmm... @ExplorerWhat do you think?

The book is actually really fun. Thanks!!
https://archive.org/details/baum-l.-den ... 7/mode/2up

Last edited by McGonnagle on Tue May 30, 2023 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Actually, your question also had captured my attention later.

I'm not totally sure but it looks like this:

For the case of "Name +of +place", use "Name + de + place (ablative)".
For the case of "Title + of + Place", use "Title + place (genetive)".

So if this is the rule, "the wizard of Oz" would be "Magus Ozis". hmm...

I need to do more research about this... Any comments or suggestion are welcome. :D

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

@McGonnagle Would you latinize Chinese and Japanese names?

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Explorer wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:44 pm

@McGonnagle Would you latinize Chinese and Japanese names?

Haha! That's a good question!   

I don't think it's really necessary. Even though the names of famous historical figures like "Confucius" have been Latinized, "Harrius Potterius" is still a bit humorous, let alone a Japanese or Chinese name.   

However, in this book the author Latinizes names such as "Dorothea", "Patruus Henericus", and "Munchkinus/Munchkina", but not "Oz" and "Em".   

I tried to justify to myself why "Oz" is not conjugating. It may be farfetched, but I found a good reason. First, the word "Terra Oz" (Land the Oz) (Oz the Land) appears, and then "Terram Oz" appears. The author conjugate only 'terra', but not 'Oz'.

I noticed today that this method is also used for Chinese surnames and dynasty names, such as "Familia Han" and "Domus Han".   

This is just my hypothesis, but as a general rule, if the name doesn't end in -a, -us, or -um, it seems to conjugate only the common noun before the personal noun. (Examples of common nouns: terra, familia, domus, avunculus, etc)

The author did the same with "Amita Em" (Aunt Em).
Also as well as we can see in many Latin sentences, he omitted "Terra" and left only "Oz.

Another interesting thing I found is that the author uses the name "Kansas" in the same way as a Latin -Greek noun, with "Kansas" in the nominative, "kansam" in the accusative, and "kansae" in the genitive. I think it's a good idea.

It was literally "iter longum" to get to my conclusion. But another question is that if I don't conjugate "Oz" then "the Wizard of Oz" would be "Magus Oz"? Doesn't it look like "Wizard the Oz" "Oz the Wizard"? Or is "Magus de Oz" better?

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

I've been totally embarrassing myself here but here is my conclusion; in (terrā) Oz
I chose not to use genitive form nor "de" because it sounds like introducing the epithet.

This is my final edition (hopefully :D ).

Vim semper tibi fuisti, mea carrissima, ad quam tibi opus erat cognoscendum modo. -Magus in Oz-

Special thanks to @Explorer and @MustafaOuz526752!!

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

@McGonnagle There's nothing to thank me for. You're great!

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Explorer wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:21 pm

@McGonnagle There's nothing to thank me for. You're great!

Your comments gave me a chance to think and thanks for your patience! :D and the book is really great. I download the book. I will enjoy this book. :)

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

Arabic: لطالما كانت لديك القوة يا عزيزتي، كان عليك فقط أن تتعلميها بنفسك

Corrections would be wonderful, if needed.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Jacko079 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:45 pm

Arabic: لطالما كانت لديك القوة يا عزيزي، كان عليك فقط أن تتعلمها بنفسك

The witch is saying this to Dorothea, so I think you should use the feminine عزيزتي and تتعلميها.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

My Welsh contribution: Roedd gennych chi y gallu bob amser, fy annwyl, roedd yn rhaid i chi ei ddysgu drosoch eich hun.
Y Wizard of Oz

As 'Wizard of Oz' is a fantasy proper name I would leave it as it is in any language.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:01 am
Jacko079 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:45 pm

Arabic: لطالما كانت لديك القوة يا عزيزي، كان عليك فقط أن تتعلمها بنفسك

The witch is saying this to Dorothea, so I think you should use the feminine عزيزتي and تتعلميها.

Thank you!

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

MustafaOuz526752

Are we still on this?

You see, in this world, there’s two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. — The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

🇫🇷 Tu vois, dans ce monde, y a deux genres de personne, mon ami: celles qui ont un pistolet chargé, et celles qui creusent. Toi tu creuses. — Le Bon, le Vilain et le Laid (MustafaOuz526752)

🇩🇪 Siehst du, in dieser Welt gibt es zwei Arten von Menschen, mein Freund: Die mit geladenen Waffen und die, die graben. Du gräbst. (Explorer)

:it: Vedi, in questo mondo ci sono due tipi di persone, amico mio: quelli con le pistole cariche e quelli che scavano. Tu scavi. — Il Buono, il Cattivo e il Brutto (gmads)

🇳🇱 Kijk mijn vriend, in deze wereld zijn twee soorten mensen: die met geladen geweren en diegenen die graven. Jij graaft. — Het goede, het slechte en het lelijke (MoniqueMaRie)

Last edited by MustafaOuz526752 on Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

🇩🇪 Siehst du, in dieser Welt gibt es zwei Arten von Menschen, mein Freund: Die mit geladenen Waffen und die, die graben. Du gräbst.

► Show Spoiler

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:44 am

Are we still on this?

You see, in this world, there’s two kinds of people, my friend: those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. — The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

🇫🇷 Tu vois, dans ce monde, y a deux genres de personne, mon ami: celles qui ont un pistolet chargé, et celles qui creusent. Toi tu creuses. — Le Bon, le Vilain et le Laid (MustafaOuz526752)

Merci beaucoup! 🥰

I was hoping someone would take pity on this lovely thread.
I'll get my Welsh version ready once I've come back from my local.... 8-)

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

:it:  Vedi, in questo mondo ci sono due tipi di persone, amico mio: quelli con le pistole cariche e quelli che scavano. Tu scavi. — Il Buono, il Cattivo e il Brutto

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:44 am

Are we still on this?

Thanks! I'll be back after the vacation!

MustafaOuz526752

McGonnagle wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:28 am

Thanks! I'll be back after the vacation!

Happy travels! :)

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:58 am

🇩🇪 Siehst du, in dieser Welt gibt es zwei Arten von Menschen, mein Freund: Die mit geladenen Waffen und die, die graben. Du gräbst.

► Show Spoiler

First the title: der Gute, der Böse und der Hässliche (but: the German title of the movie is "Zwei glorreiche Halunken ")

Now to your questions in the spoiler:
"you see....my friend" could be translated as "Schau, mein Freund,..." The word order would be different, but it would sound - in my opinion - most natural.

I tried the sentence with "diejenigen ". "die" sounds better to me.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Perhaps I will still go for chinese, but for the moment I try a language much easier for me (though I never officially learned it): Dutch.
And I change the word order the way I liked it better in German

Kijk mijn vriend, in deze wereld zijn twee soorten mensen: die met geladen geweren en diegenen die graven. Jij graaft.

• Het goede, het slechte en het lelijke

What does a Dutch person say here about "die" instead of "diegenen"? Is a comma necessary after "kijk" and "diegenen" as in German? Unfortunately, I don't know any Dutch comma rules.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:48 pm
Explorer wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:58 am

► Show Spoiler

First the title: der Gute, der Böse und der Hässliche (but: the German title of the movie is "Zwei glorreiche Halunken ")

Now to your questions in the spoiler:
"you see....my friend" could be translated as "Schau, mein Freund,..." The word order would be different, but it would sound - in my opinion - most natural.

I tried the sentence with "diejenigen ". "die" sounds better to me.

Ganz genau. Sie haben völlig recht 🌞

Return to “Random Thoughts”