Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The best movie quotes of all time (translation game) Topic is solved

gmads
Mexico

Re: The best movie quotes of all time (translation game)

Post by gmads »

🇮🇹   Quando devi sparare, spara, non parlare. Il buono il cattivo e il brutto.

Last edited by gmads on Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

In Latin you would have to shoot an arrow, I guess...

Image Cum sagittare debeas, sagitta. Noli loqui. — Bonus, Malus et Foedus.

► Show Spoiler

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Re: The best movie quotes of all time (cooperative game)

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

Sometimes the titles of the movies are changed. In Spain, for example, the movie Jaws was changed to Tiburón. When possible, I think it would be interesting to compare our translations to the ones made by professionals.

How right you are. I remember Ken Russell's 1980 film 'Altered States' being shown in German cinemas with the glorious title 'Höllentrip', much to my friend's and my consternation....

Manex

Post by Manex »

🇫🇷: Quand vous devez tirer, tirez. Pas parler.

Native: 🇪🇸 B2: Image B1: 🇺🇸 A1: 🇫🇷: Learning: 🇯🇵 🇧🇷 🇷🇺

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

For all Cymraeg fans: "Os oes rhaid i chi saethu, saethu, peidiwch â siarad"
Technically speaking 'os' means if, but it feels better to use os rather than 'Pan fydd yn rhaid i chi...' in this context.

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

🇰🇷 쏘고 싶어 하면 쏘, 말하지 마. — 착한 남, 나쁜 남과 못생긴 남

► Show Spoiler
MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Manex wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:41 am

I think, "don't shoot edit: talk" should be translated as "ne parle pas" or "ne parlez pas" or "pas de paroles"

But as I'm not a French native. What do you think,@vero-bis ?

Last edited by MoniqueMaRie on Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

my chinese attempt
如果 你必须开枪, (就)开枪, 不要说话

► Show Spoiler

what do you think, @McGonnagle

or do you think it's Europeanised Chinese again?

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

@Meli578588 you're full of surprises. You can speak Greek too! :shock:

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

I'm not the one to translate into German as this is my native language, but I'd be very curious to see it translated by someone.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

'Als je moet schieten, schiet, praat niet' is my Dutch contribution

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:20 pm

my chinese attempt
如果 你必须开枪, (就)开枪, 不要说话

► Show Spoiler

what do you think, @McGonnagle

or do you think it's Europeanised Chinese again?

Hello MoniqueMaRie!

It's pretty good and it's not "Europeanised Chinese" at all. The sentence makes sense if it means "If you...". and for some case it makes sense to use this "如果..." form to mean "When...".
Although, for this case you could also consider using "當你...時" as "When you ..."

當你必須開槍時,就開槍,不要說話。

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" should be "好人、壞人(坏人)、小人or醜人" , but it looks like they already have a set Chinese title: 黃昏三鑣客 (the literal translation could be "Twilight three gunmans")

Last edited by McGonnagle on Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Cifi wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:22 pm

I'm not the one to translate into German as this is my native language, but I'd be very curious to see it translated by someone.

My native language is Japanese. I'd also very curious to see it translated by someone.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Cifi wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:22 pm

Perhaps we could introduce a new rule to the game. If by the end of the week the quote has not been translated into a certain language, then any participant can make an extra translation, provided it is not their native language. This way, we prevent polyglots from doing most of the translations in the first day, while also leaving open the possibility of adding more languages at the end of the week.

Opinions?

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Jade.S.Exner wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:47 pm

'Als je moet schieten, schiet, praat niet' is my Dutch contribution

You're only allowed one translation (rule no. 5), and you've already done Welsh!

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Jade.S.Exner
Albania

Post by Jade.S.Exner »

Sorry, looks like I didn't read the rules properly....

Manex

Post by Manex »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:56 pm

I think, "don't shoot" should be translated as "ne parle pas" or "ne parlez pas" or "pas de paroles"

I'm not too sure about that either..., maybe a French native can help us.

Native: 🇪🇸 B2: Image B1: 🇺🇸 A1: 🇫🇷: Learning: 🇯🇵 🇧🇷 🇷🇺

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

@Danika_Dakika, would you like to have a go at Turkish? It would be nice to add in some West Asian flavor :)

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Manex wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:01 am

I think, "don't shoot" should be translated as "ne parle pas" or "ne parlez pas" or "pas de paroles"

I'm not too sure about that either..., maybe a French native can help us.

I surely wanted to say "don't talk"......

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Since everyone agrees, I have updated the game rules on the first page.

The new rules are as follows:

1. Someone picks a quote.
  2. The others translate it in a language that is not their native language.
  3. They can also translate the name of the movie.
  4. One translation per person.
  5. At the end of the week, each player is allowed to make an extra translation to a language that has not been featured yet.

Please let me know if everything is ok 😊

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Explorer wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:50 am

In Latin you would have to shoot an arrow, I guess...

Image Cum sagittare debeas, sagitta. Noli loqui. — Bonus, Malus et Foedus.

► Show Spoiler

Here are my thoughts and questions...

• In case of using subjunctive form (debeas), "Ubi" instead of "Cum" as "cum" most definitely takes indicative meaning "when"?

• How about using imperative active future?? (in fact I'm not 100% sure about this, any idea?)

• How about "narrare" for "talk"?

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

🇮🇹 Di tutti i locali di gin in tutte le città del mondo, lei entra nel mio. (Casablanca) ;)

Last edited by Dana_Dany Danuta on Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

vero-bis
France

Post by vero-bis »

Manex wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:41 am

I think, "don't shoot edit: talk" should be translated as "ne parle pas" or "ne parlez pas" or "pas de paroles"

Dans "Le bon, la brute et le truand", c'est : "Quand tu dois tirer, tire. Cause pas."

Véro
B2 : 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 / B1 : 🇧🇷 / A2 : 🇩🇪

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

McGonnagle wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:55 pm

• In case of using subjunctive form (debeas), "Ubi" instead of "Cum" as "cum" most definitely takes indicative meaning "when"?

There are four types of subordinate clauses with cum: temporal, circumstancial, causal and concessive. The first one requieres the indicative mood. The others require the subjuntive. I considered this sentence as circumstantial (under certain circumstances you will have to shoot). But I see nothing wrong with using the indicative if you want to stress the time and moment.

My translation may be influenced by my mother tongue. This is how it works in Spanish:

► Show Spoiler

The problem I have with this verb is that it needs a direct object for the sentence to make sense (e.g.: pilum immitte!). With the verb "sagittare" you don't need the DO, as it is understood that you are shooting "sagittas" (arrows). Now, the gunslinger in the movie will probably not shoot arrows, but revolver bullets. Obviously this type of weapons did not exist in ancient Rome, but it's the closest I could come up with.

In this case I prefer loquere or even dicere (e.g.: Caesar dixit). I don't know if there is any text where "narrare" is translated as "to speak". I think the most common meaning for this verb is "to tell" (e.g.: fabulas narrat, he tells stories).

• How about using imperative active future?? (in fact I'm not 100% sure about this, any idea?)

That's actually a very good idea! It makes sense if you consider that it's a command to be fulfilled in the future. But, is it a command, is it just an advice, or maybe is it a threat?

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

vero-bis wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:00 pm

Dans "Le bon, la brute et le truand", c'est : "Quand tu dois tirer, tire. Cause pas."

So the French translation rather says "don't prate" = "cause pas" instead of "don't talk".
Can you say "parle pas" for "don't talk" or is it possible to say "pas parler"?

Danika_Dakika
United States of America

Post by Danika_Dakika »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:35 am

would you like to have a go at Turkish? It would be nice to add in some West Asian flavor :)

Turkish would hate to be left out of the fun!

• When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
    Ateş etmen gerekeceğinde ateş et, konuşma.

Am I allowed to catch up on the prior weeks? ;)

• I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse
    Ona reddedemeyeceği bir teklif yapacağım.

• You'll find I have many qualities for you to dislike.
    Hoşlanmayacağın çok niteliğim olduğunu öğreneceksin.

Duolingo Mod, TR Image <> EN Image

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Danika_Dakika wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:55 pm

Am I allowed to catch up on the prior weeks? ;)

Of course you can! 😊

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Hello Explorer!
Thank you for your response! I'm happy to learn! I always have too many questions, I hope this does not inconvenience you. The Latin forum here is not very active and not many people would answer my question so far yet.

Explorer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:40 pm

There are four types of subordinate clauses with cum: temporal, circumstancial, causal and concessive. The first one requieres the indicative mood. The others require the subjuntive. I considered this sentence as circumstantial (under certain circumstances you will have to shoot). But I see nothing wrong with using the indicative if you want to stress the time and moment.

My translation may be influenced by my mother tongue. This is how it works in Spanish:

► Show Spoiler

hmmm... I'm a bit comfused. I need learn more about this. Where did you find your real example "Cum Caesar Romam veniat → when Caesar comes to Rome."?

The problem I have with this verb is that it needs a direct object for the sentence to make sense (e.g.: pilum immitte!). With the verb "sagittare" you don't need the DO, as it is understood that you are shooting "sagittas" (arrows). Now, the gunslinger in the movie will probably not shoot arrows, but revolver bullets. Obviously this type of weapons did not exist in ancient Rome, but it's the closest I could come up with.

I was originally thinking as "sculopeto immittere", ("sculopeto" is not direct object, but just ablative -with a gun- , but now I think this is going to far.) but if not "imittere", how about "emittere"? I wonder if it also needs direct object?
There is a examples for "emittere" but I'm not sure how much we can trust this: https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sclopetatio
"emittere" (discharge): https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/emitto also https://latinitium.com/latin-dictionaries/?t=lsn15658
"sclopetum" https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sclopetum

In this case I prefer loquere or even dicere (e.g.: Caesar dixit). I don't know if there is any text where "narrare" is translated as "to speak". I think the most common meaning for this verb is "to tell" (e.g.: fabulas narrat, he tells stories).

I agree, "narrare" is strange. I don't know about the back ground story, but I just thought this guy is saying something by "telling a story for a persuasion or something", as if possible, you don't want to shoot, do you? I think either "dicere" or "loqui" both fine.

That's actually a very good idea! It makes sense if you consider that it's a command to be fulfilled in the future. But, is it a command, is it just an advice, or maybe is it a threat?

Right, now I'm just imagining that it's just an advice to the man who was just shot by the speaker??

I am surprised to find that translating a short dialogue into Latin sometimes requires a deep understanding of the background. The same can be said (or even more!) for Japanese translations. It wasn't too difficult to translate this into Mandarin. (In fact, I often think in Mandarin before write in English -I know there must be a lots of mistake in my English writing, but I'm not sure what mistake I am making-). I'm a native Japanese speaker though but I'm not sure if I can translate this correctly into Japanese. This is just because for a Japanese translation (specially for a case of a short dialogue) it is required to put a lot of background information into the sentence (Ex. Social status relationship between the speaker and the other party, speaker's gender, occupation, education level, personality, age, homeland, etc.) by choosing accurate words without adding extra words. I'm sorry it's a too long writing.

Inceptor linguae Latinae sum. Latine scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar.
(I'm Latin beginner. I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction.)

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Meli578588 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:27 pm

Όταν πρέπει να πυροβολήσεις, πυροβόλησε, μη μιλάς.

Is that ancient Greek or modern Greek? I'm just curious. It's so cool of you anyway!

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

McGonnagle wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:05 am

hmmm... I'm a bit comfused. I need learn more about this. Where did you find your real example "Cum Caesar Romam veniat → when Caesar comes to Rome."?

"Multi senatores mutationem exercituum timent sed Caesar novum ordinem confirmabit et multas res publicas mutabit. Cum Caesar Romam veniat, exercitus Romanus fortis et disciplinatus erit et multae victoriae in bello reportabuntur." Epistola CXVII - Marcus Tullius

As I understand it, Caesar is not yet in Rome. But when he is present (circumstance?), it seems that he has plans to transform the army. Something like that, right? Anyway, I think it is much easier to understand when you already know a Latin language. It's hard to explain these things in a language that doesn't even have a specific subjunctive verb form.

McGonnagle wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:05 am

I am surprised to find that translating a short dialogue into Latin sometimes requires a deep understanding of the background.

The question is, would a Roman citizen from the first century be able to understand the quotes we translate? :lol:

Return to “Random Thoughts”