Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Au or à

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Lilla
Hungary

Au or à

Post by Lilla »

Hi! Salut!

I'm a little confused. When I need to use au or à?

I learnt this for example:
Je vais à la gare.

And recently:
Nous allons au cinéma.

Why can't I write the last sentence like this?: Nous allons à le cinéma. ?

Thank you, if you can help me!
Merci beaucoup :)

Guillermo
Spain

Re: Au or à

Post by Guillermo »

à +la =à
à +l' = à l'
à+el = au
à+los/las =aux
Un saludo

Guillermo

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

You can also read the following information: viewtopic.php?p=35346-unit-6-guidebook-and-more#p35346

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Guillermo wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:34 pm

à +la =à
à +l' = à l'
à+el = au
à+los/las =aux
Un saludo

Hi @Guillermo you seem to mix Spanish and French

à + le = au
à + les = aux

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Deleted User 4833

Post by Deleted User 4833 »

I have a problem with au and à also. But it's mainly when I can't remember if the next word takes "la" or "le".
I don't always remember the gender of French words unless it's super obvious or it's a word I use frequently. I often have to look it up to double check.

Lilla
Hungary

Post by Lilla »

Thanks everyone! I didn't realise that this depend on the gender of the word. Now it makes sense! Thanks again! Merci! :-)

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

JudieLC wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:05 pm

I have a problem with au and à also. But it's mainly when I can't remember if the next word takes "la" or "le".
I don't always remember the gender of French words unless it's super obvious or it's a word I use frequently. I often have to look it up to double check.

The gender is not always obvious but some endings refer to the gender of the word.
viewtopic.php?p=1647-archive-noun-gende ... ench#p1647

Return to “Questions”