Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Norwegian course shrunk

Moderator: SansEspoir

duojack
Norway

Norwegian course shrunk

Post by duojack »

Yesterday my Norwegian course shrunk from 159 units to 111 units and my progress fell back from unit 10 to unit 3.
Was I switched to an older version of the course or did duolingo decide that less is more?
Does anybody now how I can check (in the api/json) if I am on the newest tree/snake version?

adk
United States of America

Re: Norwegian course shrunk

Post by adk »

I didn't notice it had shrunk but I also have 111 now but my progress remained at unit 24 in section 40. However when looking at this I just noticed that units restart at 1 in each section.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@duojack

What is your Duolingo / Duome username with the correct course progress?

Make sure you have not joined a school classroom.
A/B testing of new trees/path is reserved to normal accounts.
Teacher (creating any classroom flags your whole account!) and student (joining a classroom) accounts can only use stable trees/paths, so this might explain if you drop back to an earlier version.

https://ardslot.com/duolingodata.html lists both Norwegian paths with 111 and 159 units.

You an check if you are part of a classroom here: schools.duolingo.com
You will see two buttons teacher (left) and student) right) if nothing is assigned to your normal account.

Or here (JSON data; so it's best to enable "Jsonview" in the Firefox about:config variables) in the "extended user profile": www.duolingo.com/users/USERNAME

Alternatively you can check for the "num_classrooms" variable in the "extended user profile" if you may have created some as a teacher on schools.duolingo.com.
A student might have the "has_observer", "num_observees" variables assigned to his account.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

It seems they have changed up some things, because my norwegian tree was legendary before the path. After the path, I had to do a final test, and it all turned legendary again.

I'm guessing they decided less is more. The old, super-dedicated creator of the norwegian tree (deliciae) quit duolingo when they went from learning-based to profit-based, and someone mentioned in another thread back when Duo still had forums, that one of the paid creators they had hired had undone some of her work without even notifying her. I'm not sure how true that is, but she was working on launching a new version of the tree, and saw some of her work undone, apparently. I'm guessing the paid creator now got their will. I hope this means they also updated the lessons to fit the snake-path, rather than the old tree format.

I went to check now, and there's 110 units, with nr 111 being the final number, without any skills underneath that number. Several of my previously legendary units are now gold, instead of purple.
(These are: Unit 83 to 86, and 88 and onwards. 87 is still purple, as is everything before 83)

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

When the course contributor left it was the old tree.
Only paid staff or contractors were working on the 159 unit path since last year.

Spanish and French courses always have multiple running A/B tests all in parallel.
They take away, they add, they move content around, add new sections, remove or restructure others.
Can be everything.
Shorter does not necessarily mean that it's not new stuff but only other content was removed.
It can be both.

Maybe units will come back in the one or other form.

Staff's goal is clear: CEFR compatible courses.

I can imagine that previous volunteer contributor work was done without having CEFR in mind, I guess?!
Is this the case here for Bokmal?
I do not know any of the Norwegian trees or path versions, but take a look at German (and FR/ES) and you will know where courses will shift towards sooner or later...

Kinda a big mess if you have already started or finished a course.
And normally it is like that for a while....

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

duojack
Norway

Post by duojack »

Thanks for your reply
I am not in a school and also didn't change anything when I was migrated to the 111 Unit version.
https://ardslot.com/duolingodata.html shows the same number of words and sentences for both versions, so there might be no content missing. When I create a new account and start a new course I also get the 111 Unit version, so this might be the future tree and I was migrated on purpose?
Anyway I just restarted the course, repetition is never bad when you are learning a language :D

weerwater

Post by weerwater »

SansEspoir wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:54 am

It seems they have changed up some things, ...

I think that is a very good observation.

The Norwegian team of volunteers created and maintained a course that was widely recognised among contributors and students as Top of the DL courses-League. That has changed indeed.

Though I still fill out a few snake sentences each day( It fits my day-to-day routines.),
there's no language course any longer, and worse, there's no fun in it anymore.

Well, there is fun, but in a different area. Going through a repetition at level 72 (just a few minutes ago):

But, I'm not going to go into the flaws of the Snake any deeper. I would become a voluntary contributor to DL.

We all know what will happen next.

Happy learning you all!

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

I have five test profiles for "NB from EN" duolingo path.

Two of them started with 159 units path, and continues on it,
and other three started with 111, and continue with 111.

When trying to start this path in different situations (different OS, Europe/Russia/US, etc) i get the 111 version 9 of 10 times.

It seems there are (only) two versions on this path... It's annoying to see it changed while studying, I suppose!

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

SansEspoir
Norway

Post by SansEspoir »

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:41 am

When the course contributor left it was the old tree.
Only paid staff or contractors were working on the 159 unit path since last year.

Yes, she quit long before this dreadful update. Guess she smelled the writing on the wall.

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:41 am

I can imagine that previous volunteer contributor work was done without having CEFR in mind, I guess?!
Is this the case here for Bokmal?
I do not know any of the Norwegian trees or path versions, but take a look at German (and FR/ES) and you will know where courses will shift towards sooner or later...

She tried her best to make it similar to the spanish and german courses, if I remember what she said correctly. She was a passionate duolingo user, and had completed many trees herself, and tried to adapt the norwegian tree as best she could to user feedback, and seeing where people seemed to get stuck. I don't know her personally, but the impression I got is that she does teaching in real life too, not just on duolingo.
So while she might not have been a paid contributor working with CEFR in mind, she definitely did what she could with the resources Duolingo gave her.

weerwater wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:20 pm

The Norwegian team of volunteers created and maintained a course that was widely recognised among contributors and students as Top of the DL courses-League. That has changed indeed.

Yeah, the course was made for the tree, not the path. And that's very obvious with most of Duolingos courses.

weerwater wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:20 pm

Though I still fill out a few snake sentences each day( It fits my day-to-day routines.),
there's no language course any longer, and worse, there's no fun in it anymore.
But, I'm not going to go into the flaws of the Snake any deeper. I would become a voluntary contributor to DL.

I pray to deities I don't even believe in that someone recreates the old duolingo. Having tried pretty much all the alternatives, nothing beats what duolingo was. The closes IMO is LinDuo, but it's taking too long with vocabulary before it goes in to sentences. And it puts my phone in game mode even though I turned that off in a system-wide setting, or opens a phone-simulator on the web, both of which are annoying AF.

DuoMe Profile Learning 🇮🇹/Image + 🇩🇪, with the most focus on 🇮🇹 for now.
Working on repairing the 🇳🇴 🇸🇪 🇩🇰 Legendaries after the 2023 updates, but not sure how to complete it all since I'm out of gems due to refusing to pay for the Snake :mrgreen: as long as a kind soul keeps me in their family plan Image

GaryDRobson
United States of America

Post by GaryDRobson »

That caught me off guard, too. A lot of the answers here talk about trees & snakes and I didn't know what they were talking about. Someone on Reddit pointed me at an article that explains things from DuoLingo's point of view:
https://blog.duolingo.com/new-duolingo- ... en-design/

Hopefully that'll help you a bit.

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”