Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Why did Duome stop showing my progress? Topic is solved

This is for Duome related issues only, about the Progress pages, about the Forum itself.
ATTENTION : For Duolingo issues, write to Duolingo support.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Why did Duome stop showing my progress?

Post by Gentianopsis »

I do not use Duome to access Duolingo lessons (I mostly use an old Duolingo app from Microsoft store and sometimes DuoBooster created by @DaliborNovy ), my Duolingo profile is Public, but I am a member of a Duolingo classroom, I have changed nothing about it for at least two months and I am in the Czech Republic. Since 28th March, Duome has not shown my progress (my streak, XP's, finished lessons... anything), but I have seen almost no complains about it on Duome recently. I miss these Duome functions very much. Where is the problem? Can that be fixed?

Attachments
3dnyBezAktualizaceDat-Duolingo-230331-1000.jpg
3dnyBezAktualizaceDat-Duolingo-230331-1000.jpg (29.89 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
3dnyBezAktualizaceDat-230331.jpg
3dnyBezAktualizaceDat-230331.jpg (92.34 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Olav
Norway

Re: Why did Duome stop showing my progress?

Post by Olav »

Yes, that was a great motivation.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

I had the same problem. My profile is set to private to avoid the leagues. I changed it to public, then refreshed Duome, then changed it to private again. Now it's up-to-date. :)

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

@EranBarLev Thanks for your experience, but it does not work for me. :-( I set my profile private and refreshed Duome - no change. I changed my profile back to Public and refreshed Duome again - no change. It does not matter whether my profile is Public or Private, Duome does not show my recent progress in either way. Nothing is up-to-date, my last lessons recorded on Duome in RAW are from 27th March. :-(

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

I think it's because you're a member of the Duolingo classroom. Do you need to be? I think it no longer helps with anything. Duolingo has changed the privacy settings, now it's a bit of a mess.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

DaliborNovy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:15 pm

I think it's because you're a member of the Duolingo classroom. Do you need to be? I think it no longer helps with anything. Duolingo has changed the privacy settings, now it's a bit of a mess.

I have a schools account. Not sure if I'm a member of it. I tried to be. But I was able to fix my problem with no data displaying by going public for a bit.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

mng22
Canada

Post by mng22 »

My progress and tree were unavailable all day yesterday and most of today, but they are showing back up now.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Same thing with mine ! Same exact date ! No lingots added, either. I posted about it two days ago. I also, like the Duome page . Hope it’s fixable. 🙂

Mine is still frozen in time.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@Meli578588 and others who are not getting it to work, please confirm that your Duolingo account is set to Public and whether or not you're in a Duolingo classroom. Also provide your Duolingo Username. Then @duome will be able to check it out and maybe help.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

@DaliborNovy

Thank you much for your reply! Will do …🙂

Not in a classroom. I am on private, though.

Thanks and sorry to bother anyone , was hoping it would fix itself.

Also, mine says “ cache updated 3/28/2023
Must be the last update, I am thinking.
Not sure if that helps or not.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

@Meli578588 Never mind, that's what this forum is for.

However, regarding the private settings, it started working correctly. So if you want to see your current data in public, you need to set your profile to public. At least for a while when you refresh your Duome profile page. You can create a shortcut of https://www.duolingo.com/settings/privacy on the favorites bar or on your desktop.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Thank you much. I actually , forgot how to go off private to public. I remember it was not easy to find that on my device. I will search for it again .🙂

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

You can log in on the web and use the link above. If you make the shortcut, the change is in three clicks.

Olav
Norway

Post by Olav »

Wow! It works! Thank you all!

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Thank you very much @DaliborNovy , but the link doesn’t open for me. Most likely it’s on my side. Seems to work for everyone else.

I really appreciate trying to help. 🙂

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

Are you logged into https://www.duolingo.com in your default browser? If yes, we need more details about your device and system for more help. Maybe one of Duolingo mobile apps steals the link. You can try to copy the URL into the address bar in your browser. And if it works, create the shortcut on the favorites bar.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Meli578588 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:14 pm

Thank you very much @DaliborNovy , but the link doesn’t open for me. Most likely it’s on my side. Seems to work for everyone else.

Well, the link https://www.duolingo.com/settings/privacy should get you directly to your Duolingo privacy settings. Just in case you do not know where to find them: 1) Move your mouse to the purple circle with three white dots on the left side of your Duolingo page. 2) Click on "Settings" from its pop-up menu. 3) Click on the word "Privacy" (the last one in the list on the right side of the opened "Settings" page).

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

@Gentianopsis
Thank you much ! I will try your directions with @DaliborNovy Also, thank you for all the extra help.

🙂 Appreciate it.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

Problem solved. I haven't noticed that Duolingo added privacy settings into Duolingo for schools as well. Last year, joining a Duolingo classroom meant being immediately excluded from Duolingo leagues, but the user's profile remained visible and up-to-date on Duome. It obviously changed recently. When I enabled all the options in Duolingo for schools privacy settings, Duome started to work for me again.

Attachments
Duolingo-Schools.jpg
Duolingo-Schools.jpg (136.35 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
Privacy-in-Duolingo-Schools.jpg
Privacy-in-Duolingo-Schools.jpg (135.05 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
OlwenLouise

Post by OlwenLouise »

My Duome page has been showing cached data since May 12. Normally I keep Duolingo set to private except that I switch it to public briefly several times a day to check my progress on Duome. However I've left it on public for over 24 hours and Duome still hasn't updated. I am working on a Windows 10 laptop via Firefox browser and I don't think I belong to a classroom.

I logged out of Duolingo today and back in again too, something I hardly ever do, but that didn't seem to affect Duome. I also logged into Duolingo via Edge today but that didn't produce a Duome update either.

Hope you can help me.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

OlwenLouise wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:08 am

My Duome page has been showing cached data since May 12. Normally I keep Duolingo set to private except that I switch it to public briefly several times a day to check my progress on Duome.

Same here.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

DavidHefer
Israel

Post by DavidHefer »

I have the same problem.
Changing the Privacy has no effect on my Application in the last days.
Changing my Privacy from Private to Public changes it only in the Web, but not in the Application. My Application is stuck in Private no matter what I do.
I see the league and followers only in the Web.
Probably Duome.eu is updated only when the Application is in Public.
I even uninstalled and re-installed the appliction (Android). Doesn't help.
How can I change the privacy of the Application to Public?
Thanks.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@DavidHefer

www.duolingo.com/profile/Davidhefer gives error 404

www.duolingo.com/users/USERNAME (with your name without a slash at the end!) doesn't give an error but only redirects to my /learn page

That's the reason why www.duome.eu/Davidhefer/progress refresh doesn't work and the cached page is frozen since 11. May.

Sounds like a new bug that the PUBLIC privacy status is not correctly saved when you press the button in the web settings.

Maybe staff has recently changed the settings page (YES, they have as the motivational messages button was reintroduced!!) and introduced a new bug unknowingly.

Or they've touched the "extended user profile" how and when it is readable from the public.

You can simulate the same in a PRIVATE / INCOGNITO browser window (without being logged in).

Maybe try a second browser when you hit the Save button. Does it work any better?

Carefully check the Web console for red error messages or yellow warnings on your Pc in the Firefox Developer tools.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@OlwenLouise
@EranBarLev
@DavidHefer

It's worth it submitting a bug report to staff: https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/a ... ort-a-bug-

When it was working before it means someone has touched code last week which is now buggy and doesn't play along well with Duome reading the extended profiles.
Btw: I didn't try this in an Incognito window but used a normal mobile browser window where I'm already authenticated to Duolingo.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

DavidHefer
Israel

Post by DavidHefer »

@Thomas.Heiss ,
I am now in Public in the Web. I was in Private in the Web.
Maybe this is why you were not able to see me in Duome.eu.
When I write:
www.duolingo.com/profile/davidhefer
it says that that this pofile is Private (and in the Web I am in Public)..
When I write:
www duome.eu/Davidhefer/progress
I get my data from May 11 (478476 total xp, in ROW you can see lessons only till May 11).
I am using only my phone for both the Web and the Application. I don't use a PC for Duolingo.
To change Privacy I always used the Web. I don't know a way to change the Privacy setting from the application.
Till May 11, when I was changing Privacy in the Web, it was changing also the privacy of the application. They alway had the same setting.
Now it changes only the Privacy of the Web.
Not only for me, but also to some other people.
Some cannot change the Application to Private, and I cannot change the application to Public.
I wrote an email to the Support of Duolingo 2 days ago.
I uninstalled and re-installed the Application and it didn't help.
What else can I do ?
Thank you!

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

@DavidHefer

Now your Duolingo profile works and I can access your "extended public profile" link as well.

Try a new Duolingo Web or app lesson and then refresh the progress page on Duome.

For the moment it still says "last update" was on 11. May.

If the Duome progress page stays like this AFTER you have done a new lesson with the profile/privacy made PUBLIC (like it is right now just fine) there might be another new issue with the Duome sync and maybe Maxime @duome could look into it.

I still think staff has tweaked their code last week, very likely.
Or even today.

So they may release changes on a Monday and several times per month?
Are changes weekly?

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Tue May 16, 2023 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidHefer
Israel

Post by DavidHefer »

@Thomas.Heiss
Hi,
I am in Public in the Web but in Private in the Application. I didn't enter a league yet.
In the shield 🛡️ tab of the Web it says: Start a lesson, 0 xp.
Now I did 2 lessons in the Application.
Nothing happened (except that I got 30 xp). The Web still says: Start a lesson, 0 xp. In the Application I don't see the 🛡️ tab because in the application I am in Private. And I am still not in a league.
My Duome.eu was not updated.

In the past, when I was in Private, Duome.eu was not updated. Then I changed Privacy to Public and looked, only then Duome.eu was updated.
Maybe Duome.eu is updating the data only when the Application is Public. Not the Web.

I have 5 accounts: Davidhefer, Davidhefer1,..., And Davidhefer4. In all of them Duome.eu has data only until May 11.
Usually I enter a league only with Davidhefer, usually on Saturday. So most of my practice is done in Private mode.
When Duolingo disconnected the Privacy of the Application from the Privacy of the Web, I got stuck in Private in all 5 accounts. Some people were stuck in Public and cannot change their Application to Private.
Last Saturday, I wanted to enter a league and I didn't have a 🛡️ in my Application, so I did a lesson in the Web, in Public, and entered a league. Then, xp in the Application, even though the application was in Private, was counted in the league. I saw the league only in the Web. I didn't have the Application features (ramp up, etc ).

Maybe people that their Application is stuck in Public, and don't want to enter the league, can do lessons only in the Web. They can change their Web to Private and do lessons.

I hope Duolingo will fixed the bug soon.
Thank you.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

IOS or Android?
What app version?

Please add a screenshot about those new app settings which allow you to change privacy from public to private and back to public.

My old Android V5.52.5 has none of these. That's something new for me.

DavidHefer wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:31 pm

Then I changed Privacy to PUBLIC and looked, only then Duome.eu was updated.
Maybe Duome.eu is updating the data only when the app is Public. Not the Web.

Duome can (normally) update the cached data if the Duolingo "extended user profile" is readable.
Which is the case once privacy on the Web was set to PUBLIC.

It is a sever-side setting; before it was interpreted both by the Web and the mobile app.

Maybe staff has added a new variable responsible for this if you can start a new lesson or not and which one counts for the League?!??

When Duolingo disconnected the Privacy of the app from the Privacy of the Web, I got stuck in PRIVATE in all 5 accounts.

That's new info for us.
When exactly? iOS or Android?

Some people were stuck in PUBLIC and cannot change their app to PRIVATE.

Do you run any school classrooms?
If yes please set "Enable social profile and Leagues" to yes/ticked (as a teacher) for these 1-5 accounts in the school PRIVACY settings:

Left side choose the classroom and PRIVACY tab:
https://schools.duolingo.com

Url for example is https://schools.duolingo.com/classroom/1234567/privacy (with your own classroom id)

Last Saturday, I wanted to enter a League and I didn't have a 🛡️ in my app, so I did a lesson on the Web, in PUBLIC, and entered a League.
Then, XP in the app, even though the app was in PRIVATE, was counted in the League.

I still don't understand how the app can be set to PRIVATE.
Is there a option PRIVACY on the app settings? Ios or Android? Since what version?

I saw the League only on the Web. I didn't have the app features (ramp up, etc ).

It's not a good idea to use the very latest app versions of Duolingo.
Too many bugs.
Make sure to disable auto-updates; this is possible on the Play store app.
No idea about IOS.

What happens if you double set privacy to PUBLIC both on the Web and app?

What does the school classroom privacy tell you?

Background info:
I'm on mobile right now while I'm typing which means that I need to check your 1-5 accounts and extended user profiles on a Pc@Firefox and check the Json data.
Usually I would see if you've joined/created school classrooms.

However as explained: I'm not aware of new app version restrictions like PRIVATE privacy mode.
But if someone uploads a screenshot we could better understand.

Maybe we find new server variables (privacy and stuff) on the extended profile for our own accounts (not all variables are readable from other accounts).

Or maybe staff has done an API change which now affects how Duome can read and interprete lesson/progress data.

I don't think that Leagues are directly related to if your tree/path data can be read or not as long as your account/profile is set to PUBLIC.

But yeah it's clear:
Duolingo staff doesn't deep test what they change.

The "motivational messages" toggle button was gone on the Web. Now it's back ;)
But suddenly that button which existed on the old Android app for a long time is gone from the settings. I didn't change anything! No update!
EDIT: Sorry, this was a false alarm! That toggle button is a bit higher placed on the Android app than the other toggle settings below the "Accessibility" headline, so I overlooked it this time.

Well, we don't need to try to understand "everything" what they're doing or A/B testing.
We would just throw our head against the next stone wall, don't we?! :-)

Last edited by Thomas.Heiss on Mon May 15, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

I have 5 accounts: Davidhefer, Davidhefer1,..., And Davidhefer4. In all of them Duome.eu has data only until May 11.

I could check 2-3 of those account "extended user profiles".
They are not part of a school classroom.
Also I did notice that all privacy variables are set to FALSE within the "privacy_settings" object.
So this looks good / normal.

Maybe @duome Maxime has an idea what could result in the fact that your Duome progress page doesn't update, even the "extended user profile" can be read.
Or why you can't see the League button on the app.

My suggestion: Downgrade to a previous app version. This could temporarily fix this "League is missing" thing and may change again that the app correctly interpretes the global account server variables like privacy.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

I think it was fixed. At least what didn't work works now.

Return to “Troubleshooting Duome”